Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2023 Rd 3 Carlton vs North Melbourne at Arden St (Read 1188 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL 2023 Rd 3 Carlton vs North Melbourne at Arden St

This game is also set for Good Friday, at 12:30.
The 2's will need to do a lot better to be competitive. Yesterday's performance was sub-par, to say the least.
However, we might have a player or two back from injury.
The long term forecast is for wet weather.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL 2023 Rd 3 Carlton vs North Melbourne at Arden St

Reply #1
Team has not been announced yet, but it will have 3 fewer AFL guys. It will be raining, so I hope we show more heart than last week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
It seems our VFL team is like some kind of incubator, a testing ground, a football experiment; we are not really a side. And this is often how we play. There are a few players that show some 'heart' and seem to want to play for the jumper, but most are just happy to turn up.

When you think about it, the players that are playing in the 2nd's are exactly that - seconds players. I wonder if that contributes to our poor showing, the demotivated, poor form players litter the team, and only those that have real drive actually show enough to succeed. It may be a reason there is such a difference in other sides, perhaps they build a culture that we simply have not.

Reply #3
It seems our VFL team is like some kind of incubator, a testing ground, a football experiment; we are not really a side. And this is often how we play. There are a few players that show some 'heart' and seem to want to play for the jumper, but most are just happy to turn up.

When you think about it, the players that are playing in the 2nd's are exactly that - seconds players. I wonder if that contributes to our poor showing, the demotivated, poor form players litter the team, and only those that have real drive actually show enough to succeed. It may be a reason there is such a difference in other sides, perhaps they build a culture that we simply have not.
I think the VFL team is there to be a fertile ground to plant a few kids and see them grow into senior footballers.
Winning has to take a second place to that Imho......cant remember too many successful VFL teams over the journey other than when David Teague was coaching and we had a couple of good seasons.

Reply #4
I think the VFL team is there to be a fertile ground to plant a few kids and see them grow into senior footballers.
Winning has to take a second place to that Imho......cant remember too many successful VFL teams over the journey other than when David Teague was coaching and we had a couple of good seasons.

Yes, we seem to prefer youngsters with potential ahead of seasoned journeymen.  That may cost us games but we could unearth a player or two.

Of course, Luke Power won’t be satisfied with mediocre performances but he’s not a miracle worker. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
Binns has shown plenty. Including a goal from the boundary. Dow & Kemp stand out as you'd expect. Fogarty's pressure is consistent. Akui doesn't seem familiar with the game aside flying for a mark. Hope he gets the hang of it soon.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #6
The boys are doing OK in wet, slippery conditions and we're up by 20 points at half time: 5.8.38 to 2.6.18.

Most of the AFL listed players are contributing and I'd have Plowman as BoG to half time.  Parks is doing well and seems a lot more composed than he was in his AFL games.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
Gee the Kangabies are going in hard and trying to ruffle our boys. But, to no avail. Hard to believe this is the same VFL side as last week... 55pts up nearing 3/4 time. Great spread of contributors.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #8
3/4 time. Up by 55 pts.

Reply #9
It's good to see Brodie Kemp clunking his marks.

Reply #10
So, Dow dominating, Kemp dominating, Binns having a good ol dip, Plow BOG and yet we have blokes picked for 1s very happy with themselves living the AFL dream and not contributing (as far as us laymen can tell). This doesn't set a good example if you ask me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11
Very good by the lads.
Only eight out of 25 players are AFL listed.
Lemmey showing plenty of craft.
Akuei continues to improve every game he plays
Binns is an excellent wingman for an 18 year old doesnt turn 19 until October.
Kemp is ready to step in if Gov decides to move on
We can only hope the penny has dropped for Dow.

Reply #12
BlueBaggers by 52. Final margin. 14.14 v 6.10. Ronke 4 goals. Like the look of this lad!

Reply #13
Dow another 30+ ::)

Reply #14
Dow another 30+ ::)

and 2 goals. Was pretty good from what I saw but of course won't get to the 1's
Really happy with Kemp's game. Very composed and only saw him make one mistake
Ronke was handy
Plowman played well
The whole team was good really, but maybe the opposition weren't any good