Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2023 Rd 3 Carlton vs North Melbourne at Arden St (Read 1169 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2023 Rd 3 Carlton vs North Melbourne at Arden St

Reply #15
That's what a convincing win looks like. Well done Luke Power and co 👏🏼

We owned the ball and dominated in the air all game. Despite that, we out tackled North as well. Really enjoyed the pressure applied across the ground. We seemed very well organised. Big Harry is a beautiful kick from outside 50.

Now for our seniors to follow suit.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #16
The best thing that could happen for players like Dow is a "mid-season trade".
Surely there are teams out there where they could find a senior spot for a player like Dow, and in return we may be able to fill a need.
(player or future pick)

It's  not likely Dow will get a senior game even if he racked up fifty.
He can't even win a spot on  the bench with key mid-fielders out.
He's obviously not meeting key criteria (whatever they may be), and at this stage is unlikely to do so.
That might not be a barrier to a spot in another team.

Just for the sake of giving the bloke an opportunity we should be able to part company 'mid-year'

Reply #17
Dow another 30+ ::)

Dow had a quiet second half by his standards after 20+ in the first half.  His best is outstanding but he has patches where he does little and there are times when his decision making is poor
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #18
Problem with Dow that doesn't translate to AFL - for his skill set he hasn't got that relentless attack and cracking in from contest to contest.

Reply #19
Yep.
I think we've done to death the fact that he can't seem to make the transition to senior level with our side.
As it's grown stronger he's drifted more and more off the pace.
But the guy played 22 games in his first season and not once did he drop below double figure posessions.
Teague seemed to switch from the Bolton 'development' model, where the young boys got a bit of mid-field, game time to relying more on the older guys (murphy et al).
The fact that we started winning presented another barrier to players like Dow.

One aspect of retaining him is that it probably requires a bit of an explanation to other players as to why he isn't getting a game.
How would that feel for the player?
The fact that Dow 'keeps on keeping' on with this 'talk' around him is probably a credit to him.
It may be that what's being asked of him is just a bridge too far.
Surely, though, there's a side out there that could accomodate him.

Reply #20
Dow vs LDU is simply opportunity.

Will he be our Luke Ball?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #21
Problem with Dow that doesn't translate to AFL - for his skill set he hasn't got that relentless attack and cracking in from contest to contest.
And Honey, Fisher and LOB do? I'd have Dow in the side before those three that's for sure.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
And Honey, Fisher and LOB do? I'd have Dow in the side before those three that's for sure.

Fisher and Dow is like for like I actually rate Dow above Fisher.

Lob is a winger and Dow cant play there , Honey is a small half forward and he cant play there either.

Reply #23
Fisher and Dow is like for like I actually rate Dow above Fisher.

Lob is a winger and Dow cant play there , Honey is a small half forward and he cant play there either.
Shuffle the deck chairs and get players in who give effort, Honey, LOB and Fisher were putrid. SOS not far behind that trio.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #24

This was published around midday. Far too late for me to post it. Such is life. Will probably be the same next week.

Of interest:
[1] 3 guys debuting for us: Mills, Lefroy and Kuipers. Mills is a strong defender from Echuca Bombers. Jack Lefroy is from the Ammos. Kuiper is a tall ex-volleyballer at 197 cm.

[2] Cuningham and Leiu were out injured. Cuningham had calf tightness and wasn't risked.

I'll comment more after I see the game. I haven't seen a moment yet.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #25
Having seen the game  now, I do have some comments;
[1] Kemp is holding his marks at the moment. He is playing pretty well in a role not that much different to McGovern's. He is a different player when he's holding his marks!
[2] If Dow could hit the side of a barn, he'd be a senior player every week. I like the fact that he had 5 tackles this week. But maybe half of his possessions go nowhere.
[3] I like that it was a small that hurt them this round. A lot of guys who were so quiet last week really stood up. Ramshaw, Binns, Fogarty, Ronke, Cahill and Dozzi not just got the ball but chased and tackled hard.
[4] Crocker is definitely not in form. He was getting to the ball well enough, but it just wasn't happening for him. he isn't far off it, but ...
[5] Lemmey has a long way to go, but there are certainly things to like:
(a) his clean hands.
(b) his lovely kicking style.
(c) his ability to go forward or back, or take the ruck hitouts.
I'd like to see more urgency, more desire, but he did some nice things, and his kicking at goal was beautiful and so unlike H's.
[6] Plowman wants back in the seniors. Unlike last season, when he was so far away from fitness and confidence, he is taking his marks, mostly making good decisions (he wouldn't be Plow if he didn't have a couple of odd moments) and really providing some drive from defence. It is really nice to see.
[7] Another guy who is still some way off it is Dom Akuei, but he is really making some progress. He is going to take mark of the year at some point, his decision making is much improved, as is his defending. I'm not sure he is ever going to be an AFL footballer, but it is really nice to see the marked improvement in his game.
Live Long and Prosper!