Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 3801 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #105
Coaches' votes :

9 Harry McKay (CARL)
9 Charlie Curnow (CARL)
3 Mitch McGovern (CARL)
3 Harry Sheezel (NMFC)
2 Cameron Zurhaar (NMFC)
2 Zac Fisher (CARL)
1 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
1 Luke Davies-Uniacke (NMFC)

Reply #106
Marking everything in sight in the last 1/4 of the tiggers game wasn’t enough on its own ?
H hasn't been playing badly: he's just not kicking goals. He took a huge number of marks in the first two games, but kicked poorly and didn't have a great number of marks close to goal. He only thing he did wrong against Richmond was fall over and not take the mark from O'Brien's kick.
Looking at his goal-kicking yips, it is probably good he has been getting kicks further away from goal.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #107
Coaches' votes :

9 Harry McKay (CARL)
9 Charlie Curnow (CARL)
3 Mitch McGovern (CARL)
3 Harry Sheezel (NMFC)
2 Cameron Zurhaar (NMFC)
2 Zac Fisher (CARL)
1 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
1 Luke Davies-Uniacke (NMFC)

So one coach liked fishers game worthy of giving him 2 votes. 

Interesting.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #108
So one coach liked fishers game worthy of giving him 2 votes. 

Interesting.

It would tell a bit of a story depending which coach.
Assuming it's Voss, then Zac had some key goals and roles for the game which he more than met.
Sometimes the worth of a player's contribution is overlooked by 'us' who have little idea about the role they've actually been asked to play.
Not many of us would have Fisher as our fourth best player on the weekend.
Without looking back I think some even called for him to be dropped.

On the other hand, if it's Clarkson he might have just thrown in a smoky.
Taking the piss.
Our coaches may be scratching their heads and thinking what did Clarkson see that we didn't.
They'll be tossing it over until selection night. :D
He's a devious little bugger.

(P.S. I'm sure it was Voss) ;)

(Just had a look at the Jim Park and a couple of folks gave Fisher votes- DJC, Blue Moon. So they get it.)

Reply #109
This is where the B&F voting is always interesting. Players get votes for fulfilling their role on the day.....not just the stats that they accumulate. (e.g. Lachie Plowman over the years).

I'm sure that Fish was given specific instructions and, from the coaches' point of view, they were all carried out as asked. Sometimes there are things going on in the backroom that we are unaware of ..........and neither we should be!!

Reply #110
(Just had a look at the Jim Park and a couple of folks gave Fisher votes- DJC, Blue Moon. So they get it.)

Forget about how many tackles Fish may or may not make.  Watch his work around stoppages and contests.  When he's on, he's a vital link in getting the ball clear for a chain of possessions.  He generally sets up on the defensive side and uses his acceleration to receive a handball or to shut down an opposition break away.  Fish was on against North and got the ball moving our way on many occasions, as well as getting his own clearances.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #111
Full disclosure I have no clue when it comes to individual contributions.

Its why I stopped voting in Jim Park.  My criteria is based on what I see, and I don't analyse things greatly.  The one thing I have seen is that players sometimes do a mountain of work off the ball that goes unnoticed particularly if they are the unused option. 

Then there are the intangibles.  Simply taking up position somewhere to provide an outlet repeatedly could be match winning, even if the kick doesnt come to you, because it draws opponents away and frees space elsewhere.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #112
Full disclosure I have no clue when it comes to individual contributions.

Its why I stopped voting in Jim Park.  My criteria is based on what I see, and I don't analyse things greatly.  The one thing I have seen is that players sometimes do a mountain of work off the ball that goes unnoticed particularly if they are the unused option. 

Then there are the intangibles.  Simply taking up position somewhere to provide an outlet repeatedly could be match winning, even if the kick doesnt come to you, because it draws opponents away and frees space elsewhere.

On the basis of those astute observations, you're more than qualified to vote for the Jim Park award!

Jack Martin is a player who runs his butt off (when his calf is OK) but rarely gets the pill.  He does attract attention from opposition players and, as you say, that frees space for a teammate.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball