Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 3717 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #30
I was watching a different game to most of you today.
I was waiting for a 6-8 goal burst, north were brave and played to negate us but were without key personnel and everytime we went forward we looked likely or they infringed.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #31
So how does Zurhaar get away with blatant high shoves/"fend offs".  At least one was reportable today he had no intention of pushing into the chest.
Been doing it for a while under the guise he is a just a tough awkward bloke and its all accidental......Cerra copped a fend off in the eye and I think Harry copped a punch to the head(not sure if it was Zurhaar) but the whole game was played with Nth going the cheap shot when available. Clarkson must have thought he was back in London and his blokes could just tee off on ours.
We need someone to dish it back and just crumple Zurhaar and stop how he plays vs us....I always think back to Liam Jones on the boundary and how he got badly hurt from another accidental Zurhaar incident.

Reply #32
To be fair, though NB we were missing half of our starting 6 mids: Walsh, Kennedy & Acres. That tilted the midfield contests which was particularly important to North as they’re trying to implement a game-plan of running in waves using handball until they have a short kick to a loose forward inside F50 or a running kick at goal. Sure, losing their 2 key defenders helped us in our area of strength, but I’m guessing North felt the outs for us in the midfield outweighed their loss of 2 defenders.

On the other hand, the injury to Larkey really stuffed North up. He usually chops us up but the injury reduced him to a witches hat.

Reply #33
When we consider we still haven't 'clicked' and wobble through games, to be undefeated is very heartening. Building nicely.
Very true. We're nowhere near our best at the moment. We were smashed in the centre clearances and yet we found a way to win. You couldn't be happier, considering how much improvement we still have in us.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #34
Apparently Fisher had 28 possessions (no tackles) in the match report, I thought he stunk it up. Honey also had zero tackles.  Our half forwards don't do enough delivery into F50 nor apply enough pressure on the defence exiting
Fisher was pretty ordinary early, even though he was getting his share of ball. But after half time he played the best he has done this year.
Jack had 4 turnovers in the first half that ended in opposition scores. He couldn't take a trick. In the third he was excellent. Lochie O'Brien was getting the pill early, but making terrible decisions. After half time he was much better.
In the end, these three may well make way next week, but they weren't the disasters they could have been.
Fisher, in particular, has to get tackles. Get to his opponents and stick them, no just throw his arms in the opponents' general direction.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #35
On top of the ladder!!!

Reply #36
Won't it be fabulous to have BlAcres, Kennedy, Walsh, and tall Durdin put their hand up next week?
MC have an interesting (and rare) task on their hands.

Don't know how Hollands keeps blowing up his gps week after week. He might benefit from a rest across the 6d breaks. Not that his performances are lacking.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #37
Pressers were great. Hope they raised plenty for the sick kids.
Clarko spoke with great respect for the cause, and the opposition 😈
He was just a tad overly warm and touchy to the dear little boy sitting next to him for mine though.
Henry Ford.

Reply #38
The in game thread noted that Ziebell tried to run through LOB. LOB actually held him up - so had a little win.

We have had two good 3rd quarters or part thereof.  Maybe rebuilding the 80s.

In the pre- match someone picked us by 42.  We got to 46 in front.   Would have been great to hold that. Do we have a game that is especially taxing? We seem to be more tired than opposition at end of quarters.

Cripps also seems to come to the forefront in the second half a game - combo of wearing down opposition and his will to win a game?

I'll take undefeated particularly when we're not playing as well as we can - imagine what it will be like when we do play well.

Reply #39
Cripps also seems to come to the forefront in the second half a game - combo of wearing down opposition and his will to win a game?
I wish we could find ways at times to give this bloke an easier ride.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
I wish we could find ways at times to give this bloke an easier ride.

How about we bring in Robin and Bam Bam to help out!
Henry Ford.

Reply #41
The in game thread noted that Ziebell tried to run through LOB. LOB actually held him up - so had a little win.

We have had two good 3rd quarters or part thereof.  Maybe rebuilding the 80s.

In the pre- match someone picked us by 42.  We got to 46 in front.   Would have been great to hold that. Do we have a game that is especially taxing? We seem to be more tired than opposition at end of quarters.

I'll take undefeated particularly when we're not playing as well as we can - imagine what it will be like when we do play well.

I said 42 on the back of Harry and Charlie taking advantage of Nths KP defenders being out....Nth kicked some junk time goals and we looked a bit slow and tired at the end but Im happy with the win.
Cripps was good in the second half, Kennedy is under rated in terms of being a key component to our midfield and when he and Walsh are back in I reckon we will run games out better as we will be able to rest players like Cripps more and have them fresher in last quarters.

Reply #42
Cerra had his best game for the season for mine.  He has been another good investment.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #43
Apparently Fisher had 28 possessions (no tackles) in the match report, I thought he stunk it up.

Honey also had zero tackles.

Fisher doesn't chase with any urgency or intensity.  Honey doesn't play with any intensity - seems to be a long-strider who doesn't change direction as well as he might.

LOB has his limitations but was better as a workmanlike winger - lacks the skills and intensity to be an impact substitute.

Reply #44
The first half of the game showed a continuation of a problem we have had for quite some time, namely, when our mids are under pressure or being beaten, they cannot rely on our small forwards to provide any relief for them.

The small forwards were rarely sighted and when they did attempt to get into the game they were just brushed aside. The North backs, with little or no pressure, ran off them, linked up with their mids and put our backs immediately under pressure.

Had our mids not lifted  and brought the small forwards into the game in the second half, it could well have been a repeat of the first half.