Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 3834 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #45
Now it shows why Owies is so important.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
He was just a tad overly warm and touchy to the dear little boy sitting next to him for mine though.

I noticed that too. I doubt there's anything sinister in it, but I think a hands off approach (like Voss), is better.

Reply #47
Fisher doesn't chase with any urgency or intensity.  Honey doesn't play with any intensity - seems to be a long-strider who doesn't change direction as well as he might.

LOB has his limitations but was better as a workmanlike winger - lacks the skills and intensity to be an impact substitute.
Honey is a strange one, looking at the Telstra Tracker, Honey was the 2nd fastest on the day at 32.9km/h, fastest was Lewis Young at 33.3km/h (yep no 33 ran at 33.3km/h). In terms of sprints, Scott from NM and Dutchy had the most with 27, Honey was next with 25. So he is running, my problem with Honey is that he seems avoids contact at all costs. His disposal is poor also (although stats say his DE was 77%)..
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
Pressers were great. Hope they raised plenty for the sick kids.
Clarko spoke with great respect for the cause, and the opposition 😈
He was just a tad overly warm and touchy to the dear little boy sitting next to him for mine though.
Its a sad world when a person is looked upon awkwardly for showing affection (on national TV I might add) to a lad who has been through hell health wise in his short life thus far. To me it showed a soft and caring side of a bloke who's known to be an angry little Kent.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #49
No doubt North were acutely aware of being undersized and undermanned down back, hence the massive work rate around the contest to cut off supply to Harry and Charlie. Once we were able to get the ball in their hands, it was all over.

I heard Voss in the presser saying he spoke to the boys about the how they finished the game (he was disappointed). Not sure if the issue(s) are fatigue, concentration, arrogance etc. Hopefully they can fix it. Harry and Charlie won't be kicking 10 goals every game.

Reply #50
Champagne football it is not.
Good teams find a way to win and even better when they win ugly and not at full strength.
I would be very worried if we were winning by playing our best team and playing our best football in April.
Doing what we need to do by kicking a bigger score than the opposition on the day WITH heaps of room for improvement.
For sooooo long we have lost games like that, we are still learning how to win.
I just like the FACT we are doing it without some of our best 22 and MANY players still sub par.
Harry the heartbreaker ::) he undoes all his great work from up the ground with his lazy goal kicking.
How good is Lewis Young? And Gov? So important,  just hope Gov can stay fit for the year, such a glass man.
Winning feels good. Winning regularly is such a nice feeling.
Go Blues

2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #51
Champagne football it is not.
Good teams find a way to win and even better when they win ugly and not at full strength.
I would be very worried if we were winning by playing our best team and playing our best football in April.
Doing what we need to do by kicking a bigger score than the opposition on the day WITH heaps of room for improvement.
For sooooo long we have lost games like that, we are still learning how to win.
I just like the FACT we are doing it without some of our best 22 and MANY players still sub par.
Harry the heartbreaker ::) he undoes all his great work from up the ground with his lazy goal kicking.
How good is Lewis Young? And Gov? So important,  just hope Gov can stay fit for the year, such a glass man.
Winning feels good. Winning regularly is such a nice feeling.
Go Blues

Well said, we have banked some early wins, now just pace ourselves with aim of being fully fit and firing at the business end when it really counts. 🙏
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #52
I have no doubt Harry will be in trouble with the Chook Lotto MRO for that bump/collision in the last.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #53
Lob, Fisher, Honey VFL next week.

I think Zackery's 2nd half saved him, even though his 1st half was woeful.

With Bam Bam, Walshy & Blacres set to return for r5, there'll be an obvious 3 outs.

JSOS is a worry with his flying for marks against team mates and horrible turnovers.

LOB and Honey would be going back to the Magoos. I think Carroll, who didn't look out of place for the 15 minutes he was on, could probably keep the sub seat warm.

So, Blacres replaced LOB, Bam Bam replaces Honey? but who goes out for Walshy? Do we manage/rest Dutchy? Thoughts?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #54
No doubt North were acutely aware of being undersized and undermanned down back, hence the massive work rate around the contest to cut off supply to Harry and Charlie. Once we were able to get the ball in their hands, it was all over.

I heard Voss in the presser saying he spoke to the boys about the how they finished the game (he was disappointed). Not sure if the issue(s) are fatigue, concentration, arrogance etc. Hopefully they can fix it. Harry and Charlie won't be kicking 10 goals every game.

Without giving it too much emphasis, but maybe something worth thinking about was, the importance of McGovern to the structure yesterday.
He had 27 disposals (yes, hed id take a lot of the kick-ins before he went off- but  80%+efficiency and many of them long kicks to a target.
A lot of the late North goals came in the minutes after he went off.
A couple of our normally disciplined players made uncharacteristic poor efforts in defence during that time.
I'd say that was pretty much fatigue and picking up the slack from McGovern being missing.

Reply #55
Without giving it too much emphasis, but maybe something worth thinking about was, the importance of McGovern to the structure yesterday.
He had 27 disposals (yes, hed id take a lot of the kickouts) before he went off- but  80%+efficiency and many of them long kicks to a target.
A lot of the late North goals came in the minutes after he went off.
A couple of our normally disciplined players made uncharacteristic poor efforts in defence during that time.
I'd say that was pretty much fatigue and picking up the slack from McGovern being missing.

It's possible, although I for one would be pretty concerned if a team like North can score so easily in the absence of one player. I'm hoping it's more fatigue than anything else.

Reply #56
Pressers were great. Hope they raised plenty for the sick kids.
Clarko spoke with great respect for the cause, and the opposition 😈

I understand this viewpoint. But I also think it is sad that masculine affection is viewed with a certain concern and suspicion, a sorry situation with its origins in a shocking history, over many decades, even centuries, of a small % of males abusing and molesting innocent young people from a position of authority and trust. Most males find these actions of a minority of seedy men despicable... and many an abuser has found himself on the wrong end of a fist, or worse, when every day blokes find out what has been done to an innocent young person (by one of these 'sickos').

Perhaps because I am an expressively affectionate man by nature, though I do respect and understand boundaries - especially with girls/women, I saw Clarkos affection as nothing untoward, simply a genuine care for the young fella. He wanted to connect with the young fella through sincere touch. I get that. I'd like to think that had the young fella been a young girl, Clarko would not have been the same, as Vossy did (with a young girl).

And to add to that, although I am far from a fan of Clarko the person, I thought his thoughts on us and obvious respect for us was pretty classy.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #57
One good quarter of football in sixteen yet we are on top of the ladder undefeated. There is still a problem of us turning up ready to play, there is still a problem of us not playing out quarters and matches, there is still a problem of us not being able to hit targets when coming out of defence, there is still a problem of our small forwards not being at the fall of the ball and kicking goals, there is still a problem of our midfield lacking a bit of genuine pace and there is still a problem of us getting our best team on the park, however we sit on top of the ladder with three wins and a draw.
Our defence has become rock solid and I think it is because we have good players down there and the mids are getting back to help out and clog it up a bit. By the same token our midfield aren't getting forward enough and impacting on the scoreboard. North have some seriously good players and probably had the best of the battle there except in the third quarter. Our midfield will improve with the returning of Walsh, Kennedy and Acres.
Our kicking to our team mates continues to be a source of frustration and Silvagni was probably the worst offender yesterday. Harry was bog until he decided to miss goals from one meter out. He needs to stop thinking and just start doing. Fisher has become a bit of a whipping boy for some on this site and I think people are concentrating on what he doesn't do rather than what he does do. He had a pretty good game but he should also stop thinking and just do as he is a good kick and he adds a bit of pace and run in the midfield. We need a bigger spread of goal kickers and we need our small forwards and mids to kick more goals. These groups need to be kicking up to ten goals a match and they need to be kicking goals early.
You don't want to be playing your best football early in the season. In the good old days Collingwood was referred to as the May Premiers. If we can start getting more of our best players onto the ground and if we can start fixing our cohesion issues and if we can improve as the season goes along, we should be all right.

Reply #58
I understand this viewpoint. But I also think it is sad that masculine affection is viewed with a certain concern and suspicion, a sorry situation with its origins in a shocking history, over many decades, even centuries, of a small % of males abusing and molesting innocent young people from a position of authority and trust. Most males find these actions of a minority of seedy men despicable... and many an abuser has found himself on the wrong end of a fist, or worse, when every day blokes find out what has been done to an innocent young person (by one of these 'sickos').

Perhaps because I am an expressively affectionate man by nature, though I do respect and understand boundaries - especially with girls/women, I saw Clarkos affection as nothing untoward, simply a genuine care for the young fella. He wanted to connect with the young fella through sincere touch. I get that. I'd like to think that had the young fella been a young girl, Clarko would not have been the same, as Vossy did (with a young girl).

And to add to that, although I am far from a fan of Clarko the person, I thought his thoughts on us and obvious respect for us was pretty classy.

x1000

Being an older gentleman, it irritates me that you can show affection to younger people, male or female and been viewed as a dirty old man.  I grew up in an era where we were taught to be a gentleman and open doors for ladies and older people, something i still do today. There is nothing wrong with being a caring sharing person without having sinister intentions.

Reply #59
Cerra had his best game for the season for mine.  He has been another good investment.

Yep thought the same thing, He certainly was in the coal face getting some important clearances.