Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 3814 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #60
One good quarter of football in sixteen yet we are on top of the ladder undefeated. There is still a problem of us turning up ready to play, there is still a problem of us not playing out quarters and matches, there is still a problem of us not being able to hit targets when coming out of defence, there is still a problem of our small forwards not being at the fall of the ball and kicking goals, there is still a problem of our midfield lacking a bit of genuine pace and there is still a problem of us getting our best team on the park, however we sit on top of the ladder with three wins and a draw.
Our defence has become rock solid and I think it is because we have good players down there and the mids are getting back to help out and clog it up a bit. By the same token our midfield aren't getting forward enough and impacting on the scoreboard. North have some seriously good players and probably had the best of the battle there except in the third quarter. Our midfield will improve with the returning of Walsh, Kennedy and Acres.
Our kicking to our team mates continues to be a source of frustration and Silvagni was probably the worst offender yesterday. Harry was bog until he decided to miss goals from one meter out. He needs to stop thinking and just start doing. Fisher has become a bit of a whipping boy for some on this site and I think people are concentrating on what he doesn't do rather than what he does do. He had a pretty good game but he should also stop thinking and just do as he is a good kick and he adds a bit of pace and run in the midfield. We need a bigger spread of goal kickers and we need our small forwards and mids to kick more goals. These groups need to be kicking up to ten goals a match and they need to be kicking goals early.
You don't want to be playing your best football early in the season. In the good old days Collingwood was referred to as the May Premiers. If we can start getting more of our best players onto the ground and if we can start fixing our cohesion issues and if we can improve as the season goes along, we should be all right.
Good stuff BM. Just on the Fisher whipping boy thing, for me its the fact that I can't pinpoint his role. Not a mid, not a fwd, not a def, not an effective link man, what does he do? I saw a lot of gives to him from Cripps then blaze away with an errant kick or handball. Tries to do too much then gets caught. Voss's idea of taking the game on is not the same as Fishers idea IMO. Trying to dance around opponents and giving overhead, backwards HBs to players under pressure is not taking the game on. I saw 28 of the most useless disposals I have seen in a long time. Maybe I need to watch the game again and take some notes on his possessions to figure it out but at the moment, I am at a loss to see why he is in the side over and above players dominating the 2s.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #61
x1000

Being an older gentleman, it irritates me that you can show affection to younger people, male or female and been viewed as a dirty old man.  I grew up in an era where we were taught to be a gentleman and open doors for ladies and older people, something i still do today. There is nothing wrong with being a caring sharing person without having sinister intentions.

Yep
We were born too early into a different world.
This world is one where you have to check yourself and double guess what people might think of your actions.
It's one of the hazards of being a middle aged-older man these days.

The thing is that I strongly doubt that abuse and abusers were less common in days of yore.
It was just hidden a lot better, and maybe it's a price we have to pay for these things to be exposed.

Reply #62
Been doing it for a while under the guise he is a just a tough awkward bloke and its all accidental......Cerra copped a fend off in the eye and I think Harry copped a punch to the head(not sure if it was Zurhaar) but the whole game was played with Nth going the cheap shot when available. Clarkson must have thought he was back in London and his blokes could just tee off on ours.
We need someone to dish it back and just crumple Zurhaar and stop how he plays vs us....I always think back to Liam Jones on the boundary and how he got badly hurt from another accidental Zurhaar incident.

Have to agree there some what. As in first half i thought this guy is going to really hurt someone. He got picked up for a face fend off which was correctly paid as a free. Another one against DOC was high in the throat area which I think was 50/50 from where i was sitting.

On the other hand I also thought that if you wanted to target real hard nut that is not afraid to put his body on the line he would be first on my list. He would easily be ahead of some of the other players that have been already mentioned in this thread.

Thoughts anyone?

Reply #63
I thought that Fisher's first half was crucial because he was the only one of our midfielders who convincingly beat his opponents and got plenty of the pill.  He may not have laid any tackles but that doesn't mean that he's not defending.  Players are coached to corral opponents rather than overcommitting and Fisher did that very well with his pressure contributing to intercept marks in our defensive 50.  Fisher was second behind Cripps with 5 clearances (2 from centre bounces) and his disposal efficiency was 79%.  Not a bad effort for a whipping boy!

I believe that this is the first time that we've been undefeated after four rounds since 1995.  Our third quarter was reminiscent of the "premiership quarters" of our halcyon days.  Not bad for a team that's yet to play its best footy for four quarters.  There's a lot to like - our solid defence, Harry and Charlie's cohesion, Ollie Hollands, playing two rucks and three tall forwards together, Lachlan Cowan, Jesse Motlop, Mitch McGovern's intercepts and playing through injury, Lewis Young, Cerra stepping up a notch - but, as Vossy said, there wasn't a lot to like about our last quarter.

What is pleasing is the coaches and players being able to pick apart what's not working and make effective adjustments.  Adding Walsh, Acres and Kennedy to the midfield mix should help to address our last quarter lapses but there will be a couple of unlucky players who will miss out.

Go Blues!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #64
I'm also an "older gentleman" and I think it's great that we can listen to groups that have heretofore been denied an effective voice, and simply ask them, or do research, find out etc., what's important to them and what they want.

I'm not for a second suggesting that Clarkson is going on National TV and doing something inappropriate, but there are understandings about how to interact with kids these days (not your own kids), and I think he went overboard. Children don't have the more highly developed discriminatory capacity of an adult - they can't distinguish between someone like Clarkson and someone with more sinister motives.

Reply #65
Definitely not a Clarkson fan but I have no problem with his press conference. He was out of his comfort zone, tried to engage the young 7 yo who was overawed and spoke genuinely about the child and his family. Giving a kid a pat on the  back and ruffling his hair, while speaking about years of illness and surgeries. If we have a problem with that, maybe we are the ones with the problem. Well done both clubs and both coaches, great messages all round!

Reply #66
Seeing kids like that your heart breaks. I saw nothing wrong with Clarkos actions.

Reply #67
The feeling after the game was a bit like last week in a way.....4 points but a lot of improvement to come. To be 46 points up...should've nailed them to the wall and won by 10 goals or more but it just isn't something we're able to do. The first half was bloody hard to watch to be honest and North, to their credit, seemed to drag us down to their level. Apart from Shiels (post-retirement), Tucker and young Sheezel playing his 4th game, it was basically the same team that won the wooden spoon last year....and missing McKay and Logue...and Larkey on one leg.

Goldstein was killing us in the ruck and Simpkin, Cunnington and LDU were dominanting in the middle.

But the 3rd quarter was exceptional to watch. The ball movement improved dramatically and we seemed to be able to chase and tackle...something we didn't do in the first half. Cripps looked buggered in the first half and plenty of blokes couldn't get near it.

We should be taking more advantage of the fact that so many of our defenders, for the most part, use the ball by foot really well. Weitering, McGovern, Saad, Newman, Docherty, Cowan......Young probably the only one who can be really shaky by foot.

O'Brien, Honey and maybe Ed out for Walsh, Kennedy and Acres next week? Not sure Owies will come up after only a week off. That should stiffen us up even more and make the midfield better again.

Thought Cerra was exceptional yesterday and his last few weeks have been really good. Newman was good again. McGovern played probably his best game this year and is incredibly important to us IMO.

Charlie is Charlie....he just finds ways to hit the scoreboard week after week. Harry should've kicked at least 6 too but his strong marking around the ground was a big feature.

One and a half of quarters of footy won't win games against the top sides but it shows that if we play at our best, it's exciting footy and Walsh, Kennedy and Acres in will have us as close to full strength as we've been for awhile.

Reply #68
I found that game very annoying & irritating.

We we were behind at the first two changes even though they were fielding a seriously undersized defence.

Furthermore, when we booted 10 in a row to get out to a handy 40-point lead, instead of powering on further to a 10-goal percentage booster, we rested on our laurels and allowed them to reduce that to the final margin .

McKay should have kicked 10 on his own, he had everything in his favour to do so ...... and as for that OOTF from the goal-line ........ FMD !!

Our players are not desperate enough, our players prefer to let a team-mate pick-up the slack plus we have some serious brainfades & yips when kicking for goal. I'm also frustrated at the skill level when it comes to player disposal, we make it near impossible for ourselves at times.

Granted, North are a better team this year under Clarkson but they are not a big player in the scheme of things. They were ripe for the picking but we either didn't want to do it or didn't have the ability to which is IMO, unacceptable.

The draw against Richmond was good, the win over the Cats was 'okay' (don't forget, they haven't won a game yet and got rolled by the Suns) & the win over the Giants was nothing special either.

It's great that we are sitting on top of the ladder for the moment but we need a collective improvement if we are going to challenge for a flag.

Serve up that crape next week in Adelaide and they will make us pay for it.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #69
Definitely not a Clarkson fan but I have no problem with his press conference. He was out of his comfort zone, tried to engage the young 7 yo who was overawed and spoke genuinely about the child and his family. Giving a kid a pat on the  back and ruffling his hair, while speaking about years of illness and surgeries. If we have a problem with that, maybe we are the ones with the problem. Well done both clubs and both coaches, great messages all round!

x2

Reply #70
Cerra had his best game for the season for mine.  He has been another good investment.

Absolutely, 3 Leos. I was also really impressed that he played through the hurt, every bit as hard, having difficulty with the right eye and potential shiner as well.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #71
I found that game very annoying & irritating.

We we were behind at the first two changes even though they were fielding a seriously undersized defence.

Furthermore, when we booted 10 in a row to get out to a handy 40-point lead, instead of powering on further to a 10-goal percentage booster, we rested on our laurels and allowed them to reduce that to the final margin .

McKay should have kicked 10 on his own, he had everything in his favour to do so ...... and as for that OOTF from the goal-line ........ FMD !!

Our players are not desperate enough, our players prefer to let a team-mate pick-up the slack plus we have some serious brainfades & yips when kicking for goal. I'm also frustrated at the skill level when it comes to player disposal, we make it near impossible for ourselves at times.

Granted, North are a better team this year under Clarkson but they are not a big player in the scheme of things. They were ripe for the picking but we either didn't want to do it or didn't have the ability to which is IMO, unacceptable.

The draw against Richmond was good, the win over the Cats was 'okay' (don't forget, they haven't won a game yet and got rolled by the Suns) & the win over the Giants was nothing special either.

It's great that we are sitting on top of the ladder for the moment but we need a collective improvement if we are going to challenge for a flag.

Serve up that crape next week in Adelaide and they will make us pay for it.
Richmond are still an unknown quantity and hard to measure imho, I dont rate them as yet and it will be interesting to see how they go vs another midpack 50/50 team in the Bulldogs who are also hard to fathom.
The North game wasnt a great spectator watch imo and was full or errors but you often get dragged down into the gutter with these crape teams playing their type of football which doesnt suit our skillset.
The good thing was we won comfortably enough and that was an improvement on last season where we lost these types of games.
The Crows will be the same type of game and another test in our ability to get the game on our terms for long enough for our greater talent to take over and win us the game.
The brand of footy we are playing isnt great and we have been lucky with umpiring(GWS) and injuries to other teams ie Nth in key areas that helped us but this is the best start to our season since 1995 and we know what happened that year so I'm going to expect the brand of play to improve and our wins to improve by greater margins as we get our best team on the park.

Reply #72
North had more scoring shots, more I50's, won the contested ball, won the clearances. My big hope is that this victory means we are getting closer to winning becoming habitual, so even if we don't win every stat we still find a way to get the 4 points. But perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself.

Reply #73
North had more scoring shots, more I50's, won the contested ball, won the clearances. My big hope is that this victory means we are getting closer to winning becoming habitual, so even if we don't win every stat we still find a way to get the 4 points. But perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself.

I think Vossy is focused on teaching us how to 'control ' games for wins and part of that is to let teams use up their petrol tickets before we really  turn on our attacking mode.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #74
I think Vossy is focused on teaching us how to 'control ' games for wins and part of that is to let teams use up their petrol tickets before we really  turn on our attacking mode.

Interesting that you should mention that, I was thinking along similar lines. North threw everything at us in the first half, whilst we played the slow, kick mark game, which apart from denying the opposition the footy, also means we conserve energy.