Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide in Adelaide (Read 5244 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 5 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide in Adelaide

Gather round against the locals on a Thursday night. Not my favourite idea of spending a game, but we need to revenge ourselves for last year. Badly.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 5 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide in Adelaide

Reply #1
North took it up to us, and I believe the Crows will be more willing in the contest. They have the tools to knock us over.

Reply #2
North took it up to us, and I believe the Crows will be more willing in the contest. They have the tools to knock us over.
We have the tools to knock EVERYONE over, anytime, anywhere. Walsh, Chugger back as a minimum, Adelaide are a good outfit but don't have the class to outmatch us (on our day). NM are as hard at it as anyone and we match it for 1 qtr at least. If we could do that longer combined with the talent we have on all the lines, we will be hard to beat. By Voss's own admission, the first 2 and last quarters are not who we are.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Voss said in the press conference that Walsh, Acres and Kennedy will be playing against the Crows. McGovern will also be playing - they took him off today as a preventative measure only but he is ok. This means 3 players need to be dropped. Which 3?

I think it will be Honey, Ed Curnow, Carroll and sub LOB. Adelaide is fast so I think Fisher will be a starter

Reply #4
Crows knocked us over last time because they intimidated and bullied us at the contest. Walker and Fogarty walked through our tackles, and we had some of their midfield kids pushing us around.
It was disgraceful bruise free footy and we owe them...so anyone who won't chase, tackle and put the body on the line need not apply this week because I'd expect the Crows to dish up the same stuff as last time.

Reply #5
Crows knocked us over last time because they intimidated and bullied us at the contest. Walker and Fogarty walked through our tackles, and we had some of their midfield kids pushing us around.
It was disgraceful bruise free footy and we owe them...so anyone who won't chase, tackle and put the body on the line need not apply this week because I'd expect the Crows to dish up the same stuff as last time.

And this is what I alluded to earlier, they will be more willing in the contest.....and then what? That will be the real test for Carlton, can we absorb and then break them? I still have my doubts. Adelaide are $2.31 on Sportbet, I am tempted to take that. At least if we lose I can still have a small win.

Reply #6
Interesting snippet in something I read (and I should have taken note of where I read it - I can’t find it now). Apparently, the fastest Carlton players against North were Young and Honey with speeds of 33km/h and 32 km/h and change respectively. Of course, it isn’t clear that every player was wearing a GPS tracker. And this is just a maximum speed stat. A midfielder perhaps would concentrate more on gut running rather than flat out sprinting while a full back would need to hit maximum speed to close the gap on a leading forward. But it does suggest I should reappraise Lewis Young. My thumbnail sketch of him has been that he’s tall and a good mark but he isn’t all that mobile compared with someone like Liam Jones. But maybe he is just as nimble. I guess that raises the question of their comparative accelerations from a standing start, and that goes beyond a maximum speed stat.

Reply #7
Interesting snippet in something I read (and I should have taken note of where I read it - I can’t find it now). Apparently, the fastest Carlton players against North were Young and Honey with speeds of 33km/h and 32 km/h and change respectively. Of course, it isn’t clear that every player was wearing a GPS tracker. And this is just a maximum speed stat. A midfielder perhaps would concentrate more on gut running rather than flat out sprinting while a full back would need to hit maximum speed to close the gap on a leading forward. But it does suggest I should reappraise Lewis Young. My thumbnail sketch of him has been that he’s tall and a good mark but he isn’t all that mobile compared with someone like Liam Jones. But maybe he is just as nimble. I guess that raises the question of their comparative accelerations from a standing start, and that goes beyond a maximum speed stat.

I think we did very well in getting Lewis Young across. I have a good feeling he will be a long term player for us, a real 'Mr. Dependable' in the coming years. Not sure what happens if we do end up with Ben McKay. That is a lot of tall timber for the back-line.

Reply #8

That little twerp Shoenberg was throwing his weight  around iirc. He's one that deserves his comeuppance for starters!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
I think we did very well in getting Lewis Young across. I have a good feeling he will be a long term player for us, a real 'Mr. Dependable' in the coming years. Not sure what happens if we do end up with Ben McKay. That is a lot of tall timber for the back-line.

Ben McKay at the club is a good thing.
Weiters, Ben and Young are very good below their knees
Three talls and three small/medium is a good mix.
Gov is 190cm and is more suited to half back flank intercepting. Will release Gov to launch attacks with Saad and Doc

Reply #10
100% Mav, Lewis clocked a max speed of 33.3km/h according to the Telstra tracker on the AFL mobile app. Pretty quick for a 200cm KPD.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11
That little twerp Shoenberg was throwing his weight  around iirc. He's one that deserves his comeuppance for starters!
You have a good memory Cookie, I was thinking about Schoenberg  too and he had this annoying grin on his face.
Fogarty is another one who reminds me of Zurhaar who puffs out his chest and wants to be the tough guy, as I said we need players who are prepared to meet these fockers head on and put them in their place for now and the future.

Reply #12
You have a good memory Cookie, I was thinking about Schoenberg  too and he had this annoying grin on his face.
Fogarty is another one who reminds me of Zurhaar who puffs out his chest and wants to be the tough guy, as I said we need players who are prepared to meet these fockers head on and put them in their place for now and the future.

The best punishments for these types is at the end of the game being on the losing team.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #13
The best punishments for these types is at the end of the game being on the losing team.

Whilst at the same time sporting a few scars and bruises. 🤪

Reply #14

I tend not to forget humiliations EB, and that game certainly was one for us.