Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide in Adelaide (Read 5296 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide in Adelaide

Reply #120
With the obvious exception of Doc, that’s a serious injection of talent and grunt 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #121
IN: Acres, M Kennedy, Walsh
OUT: Carroll, Honey, L O'Brien, Docherty

IN: D Fogarty, Pedlar
OUT: Schoenberg, Gollant, McHenry

Almost strongest team on paper for the year - maybe when Doc gets back 4-6 weeks.

Not expecting much from Walshy he will be lacking match fitness. But watching this bloke over the past four years wouldnt surprise if he picks up 35 touches 5 tackles 8 clearances and kicks two goals. But yeah -expecting more from George

Reply #122
Plowman is an emergency after his excellent game in the twos.  I reckon he’ll be the sub.
I reckon he should be. For the first time in years he is actually fit, confident and in form. Cowan may be the future, but Plow is knocking and knocking hard.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #123
Backs:  Lewis Young  Jacob Weitering  Adam Saad
Half-backs:  Nic Newman  Mitch McGovern  Lachie Cowan
Centreline:  Adam Cerra  Patrick Cripps  Ollie Hollands
Half-forwards:  Zac Fisher  Harry McKay  Jack Silvagni
Forwards:  Ed Curnow  Charlie Curnow  Jesse Motlop
Followers:  Tom De Koning  George Hewett  Sam Walsh
Interchange:  Blake Acres  Corey Durdin  Matthew Kennedy   Marc Pittonet
Emergencies:  Jack Carroll  Josh Honey  Lochie O'Brien  Lachie Plowman

George Hewett has been struggling the last 2 weeks and has been clearly affected by his hand injury. Definitely not the sort of form he was showing before the injury. Hopefully he can come back to form this week - we need him at his best.
I hope Kennedy and Walsh are ready to go. Both have had pretty limited preparations.
Lochie O'Brien needs game time in the VFL. Let him get 30+ possessions there for a couple of weeks before he gets another try, because he certainly isn't in great form. Mind you, his 2nd half last week was a big improvement over anything else he's done this year. In the first half he got the ball, but his decision making was terrible.
For that matter, I hope Jack Silvagni has been practicing his kicking. In the first half last week his miskicks let to 5 North Melbourne scores. He got the ball well, but his disposal was dreadful. Then he lifted, like the others in the third term and he could do no wrong, but again in the last a poor kick to a dangerous spot cost us a goal. He can't afford that regularly, even if he is the heart of the team.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #124
Almost strongest team on paper for the year - maybe when Doc gets back 4-6 weeks.

Not expecting much from Walshy he will be lacking match fitness. But watching this bloke over the past four years wouldnt surprise if he picks up 35 touches 5 tackles 8 clearances and kicks two goals. But yeah -expecting more from George

Yes, except for Doc, that has to be our strongest team.  Blokes like Kemp, Plowman, Owies, Martin, Marchbank, Cottrell and Cuningham wouldn’t necessarily weaken the team, but they wouldn’t make it any stronger either.

I think that Walsh may spend more time as a forward than in the midfield but I wouldn’t be surprised if he racks up the stats you suggest 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #125
With the obvious exception of Doc, that’s a serious injection of talent and grunt 🙂
Yep three good ins and Doc a sad out....Crows have gone with the theme from their last win against by including Fogarty and Pedlar who are physical types and Im expecting another ugly game.
Blues by 27 points....Charlie to kick a bag and Cripps BOG.

Reply #126
Yep three good ins and Doc a sad out....Crows have gone with the theme from their last win against by including Fogarty and Pedlar who are physical types and Im expecting another ugly game.
Blues by 27 points....Charlie to kick a bag and Cripps BOG.

I’m glad I’m not in a tipping competition; it’s too hard to read form and comparative strengths.

I know that we’ve never won at this ground, and Adelaide did a number on us last time we met, but we’re not defined by the past.  The Crows have a strong team but, if we’re on, we should win comfortably.

Reply #127
I’m glad I’m not in a tipping competition; it’s too hard to read form and comparative strengths.

I know that we’ve never won at this ground, and Adelaide did a number on us last time we met, but we’re not defined by the past.  The Crows have a strong team but, if we’re on, we should win comfortably.
I just stick with the fundamental's and in this case the Adelaide football club are fundamentally no good and I expect to win but I think it will be one of those games where we get dragged down to their mediocre level for a while until we match them for effort and then our greater talent prevails.
This team selected is probably the best we have chosen on paper all year minus Docherty and I cant think of too many reasons why we would lose.

Reply #128
Walsh has surprised and surpassed expectations at every step, 0 to 100 instantly and BoG won't come as a shock!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
Game day!
Come on boys,  make sure you rock up with the right mind set ready to play.  >:D  >:D  >:D
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #130
Didn't realise it was Fisher's 100th game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #131

We have however won plenty of games in Adelaide in the past.

Yes, the Croweaters have a strong team, at home and everything to play for in terms of them launching the Adelaide round. Plenty of motivation.

Just the sought of challenge we need, knowing we are really up against it. We won't be going into this game like last year's game against the Croweaters... more likely how we went into last year's games against top sides. Our consistent best will win this game, an inconsistent effort and we're in trouble.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #132
Im expecting a loss tonight.

The competition is part of the entertainment industry, and a win to Adelaide makes it much tighter competition.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #133
Didn't realise it was Fisher's 100th game.

Congratulations Fish, have a night out!

We have a bevy of players who should notch up their 100th games this season; Cerra, McGovern, Charlie and Harry.  Walsh and Kennedy will have to wait until the start of next season.

Apart from the milestone, that suggests that we have a significant part of our list at the peak of their powers.

Reply #134
We have however won plenty of games in Adelaide in the past.

But we have never won at Adelaide Oval, that's a wrong Voss needs to right tonight. Adelaide are up and about and really fancy themselves against us. This week and next will prove if we are fairdinkum or not. I heard an interesting comment on the radio this morning, it was stated we have been winning via talent, Adelaide and St Kilda have been winning with a system.
Like Thry, I am hoping for a win and expecting a loss purely because of how inconsistently we have been playing. Whilst it has been a positive (ie winning despite playing inconsistently), if we keep that up for any longer we will get knocked more than we win.
Doc aside we have our BEST side possible on the ground.
Piss or Get off the Pot.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time