Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide in Adelaide (Read 5311 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide in Adelaide

Reply #45
Soligo won't be playing until after the mid season bye
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #46
Soligo can accept a $1500 fine with an early plea of guilty to a charge of making contact with the goal umpire. Unless there’s an injury that isn’t common knowledge, he’ll be playing against us.

Reply #47
Ill be shocked if they down grade it.
I'll be shocked if they don't.  There was not much in it, and they'll need all high contact at the MRO if Harry goes for this one which means zurhaar should end up with weeks for 2 fend off's, and Harry collected a shiner in the first quarter and his opponent should go for that too.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #48
I'll be shocked if they don't.  There was not much in it, and they'll need all high contact at the MRO if Harry goes for this one which means zurhaar should end up with weeks for 2 fend off's, and Harry collected a shiner in the first quarter and his opponent should go for that too.

High fend offs are free kicks, attempted spoils which contact the head are rarely reportable these days.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
And yet high fend offs are very dangerous. They carry as much risk of CTE as any punch to the head aggregated over time. But the more immediate danger is of damage to the trachea. That can be life-threatening if it blocks the airway but short of that it can create difficulties speaking. We’ve all heard Terry Wallace’s raspy voice - that’s what happened to him.

The problem is that the fend off has to be a sudden brutal heel strike as high on the body as possible - close to where the clavicle meets the neck. Any tackler needs to keep his chin down to protect his neck, just as a boxer does. That means the gap between the intended target and the head is quite small and it’s a moving target. If bumps should be punished if there’s head-high contact even if that wasn’t the bumper’s intention, then why should strikes to the face as a consequence of a dangerous fend off be ignored? They should be dealt with in the same way.

The other problem is that guys like Zurhaar are probably happy enough when they give away a free for a heel strike to the face. It’s sending a message to future tacklers that they shouldn’t mess with him.

Reply #50
High fend offs are free kicks, attempted spoils which contact the head are rarely reportable these days.
point being that a punch in the spoiling action to the back of the head would easily have caused more grief than Harry's tickle on sheezel.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #52
Maybe I should have said Larynx rather than Trachea? Dom Sheed was sent to hospital after getting an elbow to the larynx at training and Simpson said he sounded like Darth Vader: West Coast Eagles coach Adam Simpson says Dom Sheed sounded like ‘Darth Vadar’ after throat whack, Perth Now.
Ed Curnow copped an injury from Dusty a few years ago.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #53
point being that a punch in the spoiling action to the back of the head would easily have caused more grief than Harry's tickle on sheezel.

Point being is I agree with you 1000% but those you mentioned didn't get cited and its not a conspiracy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #54
I'm just filthy that in the Gather round (which don't forget is a 23rd game for everyone this season) we cop a rampant Adelaide on their own patch in front of 50,000 screaming croweaters.

Hawthorn or West Coast down at Norwood would have been far more amenable.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #55
Soligo can accept a $1500 fine with an early plea of guilty to a charge of making contact with the goal umpire. Unless there’s an injury that isn’t common knowledge, he’ll be playing against us.

WTF?  :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #56
It has never been a serious charge. The only guy who was ever reamed over it was Greg Williams who was suspended for 9 weeks by the fill-in when Jack Gaffney was on holidays. Rather than admit the work experience guy messed up, the AFL fought tooth and nail to avoid admitting the error. And then there was Toby who actually did target the umpire which Diesel never did.

Reply #57
It has never been a serious charge. The only guy who was ever reamed over it was Greg Williams who was suspended for 9 weeks by the fill-in when Jack Gaffney was on holidays. Rather than admit the work experience guy messed up, the AFL fought tooth and nail to avoid admitting the error. And then there was Toby who actually did target the umpire which Diesel never did.
Didn't Ed Curnow get pinged for some bul$&@t umpire contact charge a few years ago???

Reply #58
Yep:  Ed Curnow banned over AFL umpire contact but brother Charlie escapes, The Guardian.

I feel like I’m in one of those sci-fi shows where I’ve woken up on another planet Earth in the Multiverse and things aren’t quite the same. Did that really happen only 5 years ago and I have no recollection of it? Did a guy named Jed Lamb really play for Carlton? I might just go for a lie down.

Reply #59
The young Crow should only get a fine, no malicious intent - match suspensions are overkill for that.

Yea Jed Lamb, have seen him at a few Carlton games as a spectator over the past year or so 👌🏼