Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 4094 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #120
Lets wait until next week before we hit the panic button

It was their Grand Final and they played like it

First quarter was one of those run-ons a team gets when everyhting is going their way - crowd, confidence, umpires (!!!)

We were actually prettty good in the 2nd and 3rd (and got within 3 goals at one stage) - just couldnt capitalize on it...  as everyone has poitned out - most of that is cause we used our winning of the footy to just bomb it on H & Charlie's heads - this NEEDS to be addressed

Last Q was always going to happen, when we spent our tickets getting back into the game (but didnt manage to get ahead on the scorebaord)

Worries were
- Not being ready for this onslaught
- Defence not standing up (Doc, Gov and an injured Saad dont help)
- Usage of the footy going forward
- Why start TDK in the first few bounces of the game??

I know we lost by 10 goals, but the home town umpiring was a factor (not 10 goals, but still a factor)..... when Cripps is held at EVERY stoppage, when blokes are tackled before they pick up the footy, when Motlop is scragged before the ball even drops to him, in front of goal, when phantom 50s occur, when H and Charlie arent allowed to run at the ball, as they are being impeded at every contest (as well as being tunelled, in the contest).... it does make a difference.    the Crom defintley knew they wou;d be able to get away with a lot in the first game of gather round... and they pushed the limits and got away with it.   it was like a Clarko method!!

Reply #121
Lets wait until next week before we hit the panic button

It was their Grand Final and they played like it

First quarter was one of those run-ons a team gets when everyhting is going their way - crowd, confidence, umpires (!!!)

We were actually prettty good in the 2nd and 3rd (and got within 3 goals at one stage) - just couldnt capitalize on it...  as everyone has poitned out - most of that is cause we used our winning of the footy to just bomb it on H & Charlie's heads - this NEEDS to be addressed

Last Q was always going to happen, when we spent our tickets getting back into the game (but didnt manage to get ahead on the scorebaord)

Worries were
- Not being ready for this onslaught
- Defence not standing up (Doc, Gov and an injured Saad dont help)
- Usage of the footy going forward
- Why start TDK in the first few bounces of the game??

I know we lost by 10 goals, but the home town umpiring was a factor (not 10 goals, but still a factor)..... when Cripps is held at EVERY stoppage, when blokes are tackled before they pick up the footy, when Motlop is scragged before the ball even drops to him, in front of goal, when phantom 50s occur, when H and Charlie arent allowed to run at the ball, as they are being impeded at every contest (as well as being tunelled, in the contest).... it does make a difference.    the Crom defintley knew they wou;d be able to get away with a lot in the first game of gather round... and they pushed the limits and got away with it.   it was like a Clarko method!!

Great summary, Cranium.

I watched the game in the cold light of day again on Sunday and the 'rub of the green' was over the top for the Croweaters... especially disadvantaging us with how H & Charles were impeded/scragged, Mots (as you mentioned) and Crippa.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #122
Great summary, Cranium.

I watched the game in the cold light of day again on Sunday and the 'rub of the green' was over the top for the Croweaters... especially disadvantaging us with how H & Charles were impeded/scragged, Mots (as you mentioned) and Crippa.
Did you notice how often the Crows got advantage entering F50, compared to how often we were stopped from doing the very same, it was infuriating?

It didn't make the difference, but it probably made 3 or 4 goals difference, because that advantage is normally what delivers BigH and Charlie time and space. Still don't get how Cripps has his head ripped off week after week without earning a free kick, most of the offenders are midgets who have to stand tall or jump up to reach him!

So I presume it's OK for little blokes to rip off the heads of ruckmen, except if you happen to be Durdin tackling Doedee and then it is penalised!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
Crows were first in for the ball and got the frees they deserved....when you get beat by ten goals blaming umpires is looking for the easy way out. We had players who wouldnt contest and wouldnt chase and got we deserved, we played bruise free footy and they did it exactly the same way they beat us last time so our coaching box have to wear some of the blame.
The Keays/Saad matchup was a junior rookie mistake from Voss allowing that happen again and he got out coached by Stevie Nicks which is embarrassing. Same old same old with Walker and Fogarty bullying our players and intimidating them ....got a problem with Young if he is going to get pushed aside so easily and he needs to harden up and hold his ground better.
No point in panicking because we dont have much to bring into the team anyway that would make much difference. We have the talent buts its whether or not we can bring effort and sustain it vs these teams who keep persisting for 4 quarters.
The Richmond draw is looking like a poor result too because they are struggling and dont look like making the eight.

Reply #125
Crows were first in for the ball and got the frees they deserved....when you get beat by ten goals blaming umpires is looking for the easy way out. We had players who wouldnt contest and wouldnt chase and got we deserved, we played bruise free footy and they did it exactly the same way they beat us last time so our coaching box have to wear some of the blame.
The Keays/Saad matchup was a junior rookie mistake from Voss allowing that happen again and he got out coached by Stevie Nicks which is embarrassing. Same old same old with Walker and Fogarty bullying our players and intimidating them ....got a problem with Young if he is going to get pushed aside so easily and he needs to harden up and hold his ground better.
No point in panicking because we dont have much to bring into the team anyway that would make much difference. We have the talent buts its whether or not we can bring effort and sustain it vs these teams who keep persisting for 4 quarters.
The Richmond draw is looking like a poor result too because they are struggling and dont look like making the eight.
Spot on me Ol Matey.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #126
That was as bad as the Bolton & Teague years !!!

Getting spanked by 10-goals is just unacceptable on all possible levels, there is no excuse for playing like that.

Exactly. I really thought that those days where over. So frustrating.

Reply #127
Coaches' votes :

9 Rory Laird (ADEL)
9 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
6 Darcy Fogarty (ADEL)
2 Taylor Walker (ADEL)
2 Chayce Jones (ADEL)
2 Tom Doedee (ADEL)

Reply #128
If you have a spare 30mins, have a look at this guy. To say he is a passionate and angry Bluebagger is an understatement. To say you shouldn't post stuff straight after a loss like that is often sage advice, but its hard to argue against a lot of what he says.

https://youtu.be/hwzIcVTkzN4
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #129
If you have a spare 30mins, have a look at this guy. To say he is a passionate and angry Bluebagger is an understatement. To say you shouldn't post stuff straight after a loss like that is often sage advice, but its hard to argue against a lot of what he says.

I have watched this and admit to respecting his courage in wearing his heart on his sleeve. And as you say, GTC, hard to argue with his observations and sentiments. On YouTube he and PommieInOz are must watches.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #130
The emotive stuff rallies fans, but just like a Trumpism it can also damage clubs if it becomes too popular, because reality is it offers now substantive solutions.

While I like the the enthusiasm for our club, most of the Youtube stuff is ball watching hysteria, and a bit naivé.

Aussie Rules at AFL level is quite formulaic, like a chess game, clubs have reflex moves that unroll if A does B we do C, and often the "obvious" solution to our problems aren't really solutions at all!

I can't say we ever had a better coaching panel in the last 20 years than we have right now, I have to trust them to find their way through the mire. It's a puzzle that has to be solved whenever a club builds expectation, because with expectation comes opposition focus.

At the weekend I watched a VAFA game, thank-you AFL for buggering off and giving me a reason to get to grass roots footy. I saw a team win the the bulk of the contests, outplay the opposition, and still be 8 goals down at 3/4 time, all because of one simple flaw in the game plan. At 3/4-time the coach made a move, just shifted one player, and that team stormed home to win by 9 pts in the last quarter, that is Aussie Rules, a puzzle. If that coach had panicked and started shuffling the cards, he probably would not have got the result.

Fans often emotively call for scorched earth policy but often that just sets the club and the team back!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #131

He looks done, like he can't take it anymore...know the feeling.