Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 5 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 4075 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 5 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #30
And one more thing, we also need to learn to be the hunter week in week out instead of the hunted. We got sucked in by the media hype and didn't hunt the opposition. We believed our own BS thinking we were better than we actually are and got hunted and smashed.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #31
We need to get some  structure to the way we play, as I said earlier, every one of our possessions is one in hope as opposed to anything deliberate and methodical. Bombing it high and long into the fwd line is not the answer. Stupid over head backwards handballs to players under pressure or to the oppo is not the answer.
Our list is slow, the odd one with pace doesn't contribute anything. Tonight we needed a line breaker, Saad was obliterated by Keays and lost confidence. Apart from him, we had no one that we can get the ball into their hands and carry it.
Our slow play is disastrous. We need to train this aspect of our game and improve it to a evel that is at a minimum, better than embarrassing. Our players tonight refused to work hard to get to space and provide a low pressure outlet to the person with the ball. Stagnant, lots of pointing,  it just doesn't cut it.
Anyone who thinks we are top 4 is delusional so lets put that to bed now.
Playing games like tonight  will see us missing the 8 again Im afraid.
Lastly, there's a lot in the theme songs of the two sides tonight the typifies what we saw:
"Pride of South Australia" - Pride is indeed what they played with.
"The team that never lets you down" - Dont worry about us supporters for a minute, more importantly, tonight you let yourselves down, that's players, coaches, boot studders, every single one of you. That will hurt a lot.
Surprised we fell for the Keays move again, thats a coaching fail imho.
Agree we are slow but the Crows had us playing a high speed game which doesnt suit and we needed to slow the game down to
make it more methodical and force them to man up but as you say we didnt work hard enough to find space and kept firing the ball to contests which they were winning...missed Docherty in that regard.
The Walker/Fogarty combo like Keays seems to throw us out as well, our defense looked wobbly and like last time we couldnt seem to stick a tackle on those two and looked overpowered as well.
I still think we can make top 4 and use this game as a learning experience and  probably do our homework a bit better on a few of their players. Dawson has been BOG for the last two games yet appeared to be running free off Cripps especially early and I cant understand why we let this happen against key players in the opposition.

Reply #32
Unfortunately this ^^^^ @ GiC is spot on.
Sad but true.
We have so much work ahead of us. For as long as our injury list keeps refreshing itself, we'll forego finals.
(Carlton 10 v Crows 2)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #33
Well that was one hell of a sh1te show.

We are not ruthless enough have too many one paced front runners and our bottom 6 are bottom of the ladder standard. Really thought we could go deep into finals and yes this is only one loss but the nature of the loss says more then just one loss imo.
Really thought the embarrassing losses were over. Think again.

We are middle of the road folks and have a real lack of depth as the loss of Doc was a massive imo as we have very few that run in an attacking way he does and when you also rely on a player as fragile as McGovern you know your not a genuine threat this year.

In addition to everything you have said, we can add the dreaded last quarter fadeout.  I had hoped it belonged in the past, but after last week when we allowed so many junk time goals in the last quarter and again faded tonight, it's something else to worry about.

Reply #34
Always going to have a stinker. It happens. All sides do in a long season, although a full post mortem is always required after a bad loss to avoid unacceptable repeats. It's about how we learn and rebound next week. A second consecurive stinker would be another matter.

I saw it coming. We won consecutive games getting away with not being switched on. Eventually that leads only one way, to generally a rude awakening.

Reply #35
Lads need to be rested for few days and I will be concerned if they dont bounce back next week.

Reply #36
We were on a hiding to nothing tonight.  Biggest night in Adelaide football history against a home team that is flying.  Over in 30 minutes of probably the best football we have seen from any team this season.

Observations :

* Our D50 work was deplorable - they took 20 marks inside F50, most of which became set shots.
* The way we let their mids and half-backs stroll through the middle unpressured and pick off targets with ease didn't help the defenders.  Our work on defensive transition is a major concern.  Has Crippa ever heard of the word chase?  Barely gets out of first gear.
* I actually think our most important player is Doc - he is clearly the back-half organiser, without him there, we were a bit of a rabble.  Fancy letting Keays and Fogarty kick 8 between them.  McGovern's absence was felt as well.
* Our forward line is lacking direction.  Just kicking it on top of the big guys is far too predictable.
* We are in real trouble when our most competitive ruckman is Jack Silvagni
* I am really concerned that we are not much better than last year and any sides that can run fast will chop us up. 
* Plowman should not be picked again.  Can't understand why they didn't go with Cincotta tonight. 

There really needs to be some changes in what we are doing, or we'll be mid-table yet again and going nowhere.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #37
Called it
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
Lads need to be rested for few days and I will be concerned if they dont bounce back next week.
im telling you from now, be concerned.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #39
We could not have played worse if we tried, not a single bloke beat his opponent tonight.
I thought Newman was good against Rankine, who plays for free kicks more than anyone I can recently recall.

Reply #40
Not that it made a bit of difference but the free kick against us in the first quarter - for running the ball out of bounds at half back - was an absolute stinker because he was pushed out (partly in the back) when off balance trying (unsuccessfully) to kick the ball while running at top speed.

Reply #41
After that effort the game against the Saints is going to see more pain as an end result.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #42
I thought Newman was good against Rankine, who plays for free kicks more than anyone I can recently recall.
Whilst you're on that topic, we have quite a few blokes who play for free kicks every they go near the ball. Im not going to name names about anything related to performance last night as in my opinion, NOT ONE bloke can go home with his head high after that abomination of a night for our once proud football club.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #43
If you can't say anything nice,  then don't say anything at all!

I had a heap of things to say but for 20+years nothing has changed despite all of our insightful knowledge and advice.
I went to the game, pity the Carlton Football Club didn't.  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  :(  :(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #44
The boys looked knackered from the first bounce, and were comprehensively out hunted, particularly in the first. I was pleased to see some kind of response for 2 and a bit quarters, and then they dropped their bundle for the last 10 minutes.

This was always going to be a challenge, and losing Pittonet, Docherty and McGovern just made it that much harder. Trying to cover for those blokes just had a domino effect - Silvagni to the ruck meant that entries to the F50 were all directed to Curnow and McKay, something which was easy to manage by the Crows, Kennedy spent large chunks of time in defence, meaning we were one down in the midfield etc. Ugh. What a mess.

The Crows could do no wrong last night. Even their clash jumper looked good.