Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2023 Rd 4 Carlton vs Richmond at Carlton (Read 2302 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2023 Rd 4 Carlton vs Richmond at Carlton

Reply #15
Watched the reserves and actually found it to be slightly depressing given we struggled to beat a no-name Richmond side at home.

Sam Durdin was probably our best and is a solid backup if one of Young or Weitering were to get injured.

Other than that it’s Dow, Obrien, Kemp, Carroll and Cincotta, however the last three of that list continue to make a lot of mistakes that would directly result in goals at AFL level, so unfortunately there’s not a lot to turn to this week.

Whilst not like for like, it will be interesting to see if they finally give Dow a go ahead of Honey, Curnow or Fisher.

Lemmey, Binns, Akuei, Mirkov seem to be a way off, but all could develop into very good players.

Reply #16
sadly he would likely be going better in another clubs system.

I dont know how the pies do it.  Every player they bring in seems to be even at worst a vanilla flavoured contributor that makes good decisions and is a good athlete/competitor.  We haven't turned a prospect into a player since zach tuohy.
Owies?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
That was a very undermanned, inexperienced Richmond outfit and for all the AFL experience and high numbers of some individuals, we still couldn't put them away. Don't read too much into the form line from this one..... I could have got a kick out there. More positives for Tigers.

Reply #18
That was a very undermanned, inexperienced Richmond outfit and for all the AFL experience and high numbers of some individuals, we still couldn't put them away. Don't read too much into the form line from this one..... I could have got a kick out there. More positives for Tigers.
Yes agreed, I found it very disappointing.

At AFL / VFL level Nthmond are functionally ruckless and rudderless at the moment and we struggled to assert any dominance whatsoever.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Watched the reserves and actually found it to be slightly depressing given we struggled to beat a no-name Richmond side at home.

Sam Durdin was probably our best and is a solid backup if one of Young or Weitering were to get injured.

Other than that it’s Dow, Obrien, Kemp, Carroll and Cincotta, however the last three of that list continue to make a lot of mistakes that would directly result in goals at AFL level, so unfortunately there’s not a lot to turn to this week.

Whilst not like for like, it will be interesting to see if they finally give Dow a go ahead of Honey, Curnow or Fisher.

Lemmey, Binns, Akuei, Mirkov seem to be a way off, but all could develop into very good players.

What a depressing read!  The cupboard is really bare.

Reply #20

I watched the last few mins of the second qtr and all of the second half, I didn't get any of your doom and gloom.
Senior Listed Players were:
D.Akeui    S.Durdin   B.Kemp   A.Cincotta J.Binns   L.Fogarty   L.O'Brien J.Carroll   H.Lemmey  Alex Mirkov   P.Dow  H.O'Keeffe
I thought all did fairly well in a tight contest. Standouts where Mirkov Durdin Cincotta Kemp Fog.  Dow and Binns were next in line, LOB Started off well then dropped off disposal quality wise for mine.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #21
Completely dominated the match and scoreline didnt reflect the dominance,
Forward line was a shambles considering the 66 to 44 inside 50 dominance,

Reply #22
I watched the last few mins of the second qtr and all of the second half, I didn't get any of your doom and gloom.
D.Akeui    S.Durdin   B.Kemp   A.Cincotta J.Binns   L.Fogarty   L.O'Brien J.Carroll   H.Lemmey  Alex Mirkov   P.Dow  H.O'Keeffe
I thought all did fairly well in a tight contest. Standouts where Mirkov Durdin Cincotta Kemp Fog.  Dow and Binns were next in line, LOB Started off well then dropped off disposal quality wise for mine.
Id like to see Cincotta and Fogarty as ins this week....

Reply #23
Didn't Cunners play last week??

Reply #24
Id like to see Cincotta and Fogarty as ins this week....
Cincotta definitely, would really like to see Dow given a crack. Cannot be worse the Honey or Plowman.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #25
Didn't Cunners play last week??

He missed last week and missing two weeks in a row suggests that his shoulder isn't right ... or he's injured something else.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26

I watched the entire game and we really should have won by a lot more.

Durdin, Kemp and Cincotta were great in defence and I think that we would have done better on Thursday night with Kemp in for McGovern and Cincotta for Docherty.  Both deserve promotion, as does Durdin, but Weitering and Young aren't going anywhere.

Dow was good and played more accountable footy.  The problem is that already have too many midfielders playing similar footy.

Binns was good too and I wouldn't mind seeing him have a run in the ones.  Perhaps Hollands could do with a freshen up.  Fogarty was very good.  He is a smart footballer who creates opportunities and makes the most of them.  He would have to be pushing hard to displace one of Fisher, Durdin and Motlop. O'Brien's best was good but he's still making too many skill errors and/or poor decisions.  Another week in the magoos for him.

Mirkov didn't have much opposition but you can only play against the blokes the other mob puts on the park.  I reckon he'd be worth a run if Pitto doesn't get up.

Lemmey and O'Keeffe both did some good things and I think they've both got potential.  Akeui is a conundrum; he looks a million dollars then fumbles a simple mark.  His teammates certainly aren't reluctant to kick to him suggesting that he is a lot surer at training.  Perhaps it's confidence ... or playing at night.

Carroll did some nice things but he needs to do a lot more of them!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
I watched the entire game and we really should have won by a lot more.

Durdin, Kemp and Cincotta were great in defence and I think that we would have done better on Thursday night with Kemp in for McGovern and Cincotta for Docherty.  Both deserve promotion, as does Durdin, but Weitering and Young aren't going anywhere.

Dow was good and played more accountable footy.  The problem is that already have too many midfielders playing similar footy.

Binns was good too and I wouldn't mind seeing him have a run in the ones.  Perhaps Hollands could do with a freshen up.  Fogarty was very good.  He is a smart footballer who creates opportunities and makes the most of them.  He would have to be pushing hard to displace one of Fisher, Durdin and Motlop. O'Brien's best was good but he's still making too many skill errors and/or poor decisions.  Another week in the magoos for him.

Mirkov didn't have much opposition but you can only play against the blokes the other mob puts on the park.  I reckon he'd be worth a run if Pitto doesn't get up.

Lemmey and O'Keeffe both did some good things and I think they've both got potential.  Akeui is a conundrum; he looks a million dollars then fumbles a simple mark.  His teammates certainly aren't reluctant to kick to him suggesting that he is a lot surer at training.  Perhaps it's confidence ... or playing at night.

Carroll did some nice things but he needs to do a lot more of them!

Very similar thoughts, David. If we were serious we'd give Fogarty a gig and give Fisher some Magoo time to regain touch - runs around a lot but not much happens. Kemp and Cincotta would both have to be a Monty. Although highly unlikely, I would like to see Dow get a run, he does have something that most of our other mids don't - breakaway speed and hits the scoreboard.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #28
Been saying for weeks to play Fogarty, he isn't stylish but tackles well and is a honest blue collar player who would be handy vs the Stkilda Dockers ....

Reply #29
Been saying for weeks to play Fogarty, he isn't stylish but tackles well and is a honest blue collar player who would be handy vs the Stkilda Dockers ....
IIRC, when he debuted for us, he got bit of the ball and was a very straight kick for goal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th