Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2023 Rd 4 Carlton vs Richmond at Carlton (Read 2343 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2023 Rd 4 Carlton vs Richmond at Carlton

Reply #30
Been saying for weeks to play Fogarty, he isn't stylish but tackles well and is a honest blue collar player who would be handy vs the Stkilda Dockers ....
Slow, not a great user of the ball.

If a player runs into him, you're ok.
If a player is running away from him, wave goodbye.

He reminds me of a few good VFL players like Adam Bentick that can't make the step up to the big leagues work due to lack of physical attributes.

Reply #31

He reminds me of a few good VFL players like Adam Bentick that can't make the step up to the big leagues work due to lack of physical attributes.

His contribution is likely to be better than Fisher's. No point in having terrific leg speed if you can't tackle and/or get the aggot. His tackles stick, and hits the scoreboard. Deserves a go.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #32
His contribution is likely to be better than Fisher's. No point in having terrific leg speed if you can't tackle and/or get the aggot. His tackles stick, and hits the scoreboard. Deserves a go.
Been plenty of terrific footballers over the journey with average leg speed.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33

Also can't kick it very far either.  He's an honest trier who can't do much.  It's like owies with less tricks.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #34
IIRC, when he debuted for us, he got bit of the ball and was a very straight kick for goal.
Yep, been under valued like Kennedy was and I think we have a decent player who could help us in a few areas.
Hopefully we don't keep ignoring him and he gets an opportunity...

Reply #35
Also can't kick it very far either.  He's an honest trier who can't do much.  It's like owies with less tricks.

I beg to differ Thry.

Fogarty is a midfielder who can go forward.  He’s good in traffic and generally manages to get his kick away and hit a target.  He may not be as effective a forward as Owies but he has a more expansive bag of tricks.  Owies reads the play well, makes good position and generally finishes well.  Fogarty wins his own ball and creates opportunities for his teammates.

I think that Fogarty would take Fish’s spot if any.  We would lose some speed but Fish didn’t put his jets to good use on Thursday.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36
We can't make the side any slower if we want to challenge.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #37
Horses for courses...Stkilda are playing the old Freo footy, you need contested players who can stick and break tackles.
If you are playing Port or the Pies etc you need running power...

Reply #38
I think that Fogarty would take Fish’s spot if any.  We would lose some speed but Fish didn’t put his jets to good use on Thursday.
Thing about comments like this though, is its based off when Fisher has the ball, or his direct opponent does.

What about the other 95% of the time?
What about when he is running to fill some space?
What about when he is running to man up a loose player?
What about when he is running after his opponent making a lead?

Speed is used all throughout the game, most of the time when you DON'T have the ball.

Reply #39
I beg to differ Thry.

Fogarty is a midfielder who can go forward.  He’s good in traffic and generally manages to get his kick away and hit a target.  He may not be as effective a forward as Owies but he has a more expansive bag of tricks.  Owies reads the play well, makes good position and generally finishes well.  Fogarty wins his own ball and creates opportunities for his teammates.

agree to disagree DJC.

Fogarty is a player i think won't get very far and who's best just simply isn't good enough.

I'd you want a body that can go forward and plays committed footy, Carroll has him covered and he needs to do more.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #40
agree to disagree DJC.

Fogarty is a player i think won't get very far and who's best just simply isn't good enough.

I'd you want a body that can go forward and plays committed footy, Carroll has him covered and he needs to do more.
Everyone talks up Carroll, I have seen nothing from him that suggests he is AFL std.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #41

I remember commenting several years ago about Fogarty's inability to kick further than 35 to 40 metres at best and how that meant he had to bomb the ball on to the heads of our forwards.

Has his distance kicking improved since then?

Reply #42
Thing about comments like this though, is its based off when Fisher has the ball, or his direct opponent does.

What about the other 95% of the time?
What about when he is running to fill some space?
What about when he is running to man up a loose player?
What about when he is running after his opponent making a lead?

Speed is used all throughout the game, most of the time when you DON'T have the ball.

That’s true, but you have to be effective.  Fish was very effective against North and got plenty of the ball to go with his defensive efforts.  Against Adelaide, Fish was ineffective; he didn’t pressure the ball carrier, he didn’t get in positions to intercept or block leads, he didn’t pick up loose players, he didn’t make up enough ground to cover for teammates who were out of position, but he did spend a lot of time running behind opposition ball carriers.

Not that he was Robinson Crusoe …
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #43
agree to disagree DJC.

We’ll have to disagree about Carroll too; he should have a bright future but he was barely sighted against Richmond. 

Carroll has a long way to go to get close to the footy Fogarty produced on Friday.  He really should be demanding a spot in the 22 by dominating in the magoos.

Reply #44
We can't make the side any slower if we want to challenge.

If we think quick and act quickly and decisively... we'll look quick.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17