Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 9073 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #270
I grew up with a bunch of Cincottas, quite a large clan, one of them became a backing vocalist and musician with John Farnham's band.

As far as I know they all pronounce it Sin-Cotta, but who cares, isn't it really down to the family how they pronounce their own name?

Are they the naughty ones?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #271
Are they the naughty ones?
Well, they breed like rabbits, a good Catholic family, if they had one they had a dozen!

This whole off-topic debate reminds me of Chautauqua.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #272
Mav/GTC...certainly wasn't implying Cincotta is expected to come in and be a like for like replacement for Saad....more in the type of player. I think Gov and Cincotta in for Saad and Plowman is about right but very surprised that Honey and O'Brien are still getting a crack ahead of Dow and Kemp.

I was thinking the same about Young. He's been pretty consistent for us but is there an ideal match up for him? If they play Campbell then there's a chance that Marshall pushes forward at stages. Got a sneaky feeling we might go with Pitto and JSOS this week and TDK might miss out.

Reply #273
I knew multipl sincotta's over the journey (spelt phonetically based on what they called themselves).

I do work for a Chentorrino (Centorrino) at the moment.

Could it be as simple as regional dialect might impact it?  Some parts of Italy might debate the most appropriate pronunciation?

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #274
I knew multipl sincotta's over the journey (spelt phonetically based on what they called themselves).

Could it be as simple as regional dialect might impact it?  Some parts of Italy might debate the most appropriate pronunciation?

As in Cento (100). Rosario? Bruno?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #275
As for how he goes, Im going to say that he will be a revelation and star.  Sometimes players just need that opportunity and he has been a class above VFL for ages.  Add a mature head and some genuine footy smarts and he will surprise.  Whether or not he is more Nick Duigan than anything else is anyone's guess, but surely we are due for a Michael Barlow story of our own?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #277

The may have well used the S which was their choice, but I can tell you its pronounced Ch in Italian no ifs or buts about it. The S is Australianised, as the they boarded the Boat in Italy, it was Ch.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #278
Nope here is the company:  https://www.ct.com.au/

Cool. I went to school with a Rosario.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #279
Mav, if you're referring to the highlights package on the CFC website, I'd say those commentators simply don't know they're mispronouncing it. Hopefully "Chincotta" himself knows the right way.

I've heard Sin-, Kin- and Chin-cotta  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #280
In
Alex Cincotta,
Mitch McGovern
Out
Adam Saad (Injured),
Lachie Plowman (Omitted),
Tom De Koning (Managed)
IN
Jack Steele,
Tim Membrey
OUT
Anthony Caminiti (Suspension),
Jack Bytel (Omitted),
Marcus Windhager (Omitted)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #281
Pity Bruce McAvaney won’t be commentating as he’d research Cincotta’s family tree back at least 1000 years and go to the source to make sure he had the right pronunciation.

Reply #282
TDK out....why do they say "managed"? Clearly he's been dropped....or omitted.

Reply #283
So, the emergencies comprise 3 talls and LOB. Arguably, Kemp could be regarded as a mid, but surely at 192cm he’s a big-bodied mid and we already have Cripps, Hewitt and Kennedy as our bullocking types. Looks like LOB might get the nod.

Reply #284
TDK out....why do they say "managed"? Clearly he's been dropped....or omitted.

A structure thing no doubt...it may point to tactics we'll employ, but I'm buggered if I have any idea what they might be...other than Jack rucking again.  ::)
I wonder how much a young ruckman, 5 years into his career, who can't make his sides twenty-two will be worth at season's end.