Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 8368 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #30
Carlton appealed twice but lost. Not sure how that means we failed to stick up for him.

Reply #31
Plowman was an unspectacular player before the worst tribunal decision in history, but as shown by Friday night, he's a laughing stock now.  Time to give somebody with more upside e.g. Kemp a go.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #32
Plowman was an unspectacular player before the worst tribunal decision in history, but as shown by Friday night, he's a laughing stock now.  Time to give somebody with more upside e.g. Kemp a go.

Our persistence with Plowman is a big reason why we are where we are. After 8 years of a rebuild we STILL don't have the ruthless edge and have at least 3 times the amount of Plowman type players then the better teams would dare to have on their list.

Most teams have 2 or 3 players they are 'hoping' come good we have a 1/3 of our list in that basket.

Can't compete with the big boys until we grow a set of balls and strike a line through the Plowman, Marchbank, Martin, Cunningham, Dow, LOB and there's more. If they are not seen to be part of our next premiership team then p1ss them off! Enough

If we think we were out coached this week Ross the boss will make it even harder for us. We will not be allowed to play our way and as a result history tells us very clearly our football team crumbles when not allowed to play in a fashion that we are good at.

They will comfortably beat us IMO.

Reply #33
Don't think we will be as fatigued - so looking forward to a strong tough showing.

Reply #34
If our coaches follow the fan trend and come out of Thursday night worried about Plowman we are properly forked for 2023, because there were probably another 6 or 8 players far worse on the night.

Young had a Barry Crocker, fans will give him a pass because he came good late with some intercept marks, but early on when it was up for grabs he was a traffic cone. When the angry Crow sausage makers came out all aggressive, it looks like Young's sausage and beans retracted into a safe space somewhere behind his liver!

Young's Nocturnum Horribilis was almost equalled by SoJ and TDK, who both offered little succour to desperate fans desperate for someone somewhere with some effective effort, sure they give effort, but it isn't enough it actually has to achieve something!
(PS: Full apologies, I realise to avoid offense I must never mention SoJ in critical comments!)

Cowan's and Hollands are kids, they are showing signs of fatigue and they need a chop out now, but if Honey is the next best thing we have on the books we are royally screwed, Honey was effectively on from the 1st quarter and was basically invisible for 3/4s, I didn't think this was possible but he made LoB look like a clone of the Dominator!

Without Owies to do the deep running, Durdin and Motlop have almost zero impact, Thursday night their rudderless chook running made Paul Bower look like a tactical genius. Motlop found himself in a footrace with larger slower opponents and chose the swan dive over the gut run, he is just a kid but it's a horrible habit to get into. To make up for what they don't do, Durdin and Motlop would have to kick three each every game just to break even!

Despite perhaps being one of our better players on the day, for the second week in a row what the feck was BigH thinking? He's a Titanic, 115kg x +200cm with a straight line momentum run at the goals blocked by a single angry midget with attitude and BigH thinks it's a good time to channel Baryshnikov! FFS BigH, get some VHS copies of Plugger and learn how to intimidate, or perhaps more relevantly ponder what you saw from Walker and Fogarty at the other end of the ground!

Not sure what to say or do about Fisher, but as each week passes he's looking more like the Bonafide Charles Darwin Type Specimen for the genus Stabilus Ponyus, surely he is carry an injury or something, because he is just not the Fish we know and I'm fecked if I can work out how he is getting a starting run!

You have to have some attitude to play high level team contact sport, our attitude seems to be "Meek!"

Now, back to the nurturing! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
The point is that Plowman has never been seen as a hard man and yet he has had at least 1 hard act to his credit. Same goes for Bryce Gibbs as he was hardly a Mitch Robinson clone yet he knocked out Robbie Gray in an alleged sling tackle for which he was rubbed out. And yet we’re supposed to accept Stocker was a raging bull because he executed a garden-variety shepherd and did his shoulder applying a bump …

I checked out Stocker’s highlights on YouTube and he had a grand total of 2 tackles in it. On the other hand, Nick Newman in an admittedly larger highlight package had 14 tackles including one where he had his opponent’s head in a leg lock. Newman tamed Toby Greene a couple of weeks ago which requires decent courage and application. Cowan nailed Shai Bolton in a tackle in his first game.

Stocker now has a chance to show he’s a tough nut this week. Surely he can rough up Fish or small Durds, if he can catch them. Let’s see how he goes.

Reply #36
The point is that Plowman has never been seen as a hard man and yet he has had at least 1 hard act to his credit. Same goes for Bryce Gibbs as he was hardly a Mitch Robinson clone yet he knocked out Robbie Gray in an alleged sling tackle for which he was rubbed out. And yet we’re supposed to accept Stocker was a raging bull because he executed a garden-variety shepherd and did his shoulder applying a bump …

I checked out Stocker’s highlights on YouTube and he had a grand total of 2 tackles in it. On the other hand, Nick Newman in an admittedly larger highlight package had 14 tackles including one where he had his opponent’s head in a leg lock. Newman tamed Toby Greene a couple of weeks ago which requires decent courage and application. Cowan nailed Shai Bolton in a tackle in his first game.

Stocker now has a chance to show he’s a tough nut this week. Surely he can rough up Fish or small Durds, if he can catch them. Let’s see how he goes.
Dont think Stocker needs to show he is a hard nut, just has to do his job and prove he is a competent senior footballer and not the write off that his previous club made him out to be and tried to fool the supporter base that he was a hopeless case not worth persisting with as a player on the senior list.

Reply #37
Maybe you weren’t selling him as a hard nut but others were.

Reply #38
Maybe you weren’t selling him as a hard nut but others were.
Byron Pickett he isnt and he probably needs to show maturity and not do silly things off the ball etc to keep his spot on the list at Stkilda. Getting suspended for cheap shots for example will only see him miss games and tell the coaching staff they cant trust him to be disciplined and that will end his career. Im sure his ex teammates will try and suck him like all clubs do to ex players so it will be an extra test for him to resist the urge to lose his cool and give away some dumb frees. While I would have like to have retained him as a player I hope he does cross the line this week and hand us a few goals as we need to rebound with a win and I have some Saints inlaws who are going to be giving me plenty if we lose and Stocker has a decent game....

Reply #39
I can just imagine the gnashing of teeth about Will Setterfield going to Essendon. He’s tagging Clayton Oliver out of the game right now. I’m sure all of Setterfield’s Carlton fans can’t understand how we let a 24 year old former pick 5 or 6 get away.

Reply #40
I wonder if Plowman inspires fear amongst opposing players?

He inspires fear in me whenever I see him kick the ball....or try to.

Reply #41
I would like to see:
Out Plowman Honey Fisher
In Cincotta, Gov and one of Dow/Fog as the 23rd man.
If Gov doesn't get up, Kemp comes in
If Pitto doesn't get up, Mirkov comes in (The TDK/SOS experiment is over for mine)

For those criticising Dow's efforts in the 2's, I want to see if Fisher goes back there and tears it up like Dow has.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #42
I can just imagine the gnashing of teeth about Will Setterfield going to Essendon. He’s tagging Clayton Oliver out of the game right now. I’m sure all of Setterfield’s Carlton fans can’t understand how we let a 24 year old former pick 5 or 6 get away.
Ironically, Setterfield shut down Oliver in the second last game of last year (the one we should have won).  Problem is, we have several Setterfield types in the current midfield group, which is why we get chopped up in fast games, because basically we are as slow as treacle.  We should be fast-tracking any young ones we have that have even an ounce of pace.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #43
Honey hadn't done much in the VFL and then played the last 2 games despite not doing much....weird selection IMO.

Cowan has been solid but might benefit from a week off and give Cincotta a crack. Him and Gov in (assuming he's fit) for Plowman and Cowan.

Hewett isn't playing like he did early last year and might be one to go out and bring Dow in.

Fingers crossed on Pittonet...De Koning was ordinary the other night and continually getting pushed out of the way.

Kemp is a good sub option but probably done enough to come into the 22.

Reply #44
Ironically, Setterfield shut down Oliver in the second last game of last year (the one we should have won).  Problem is, we have several Setterfield types in the current midfield group, which is why we get chopped up in fast games, because basically we are as slow as treacle.  We should be fast-tracking any young ones we have that have even an ounce of pace.
Agreed, we are even slower when Setters was in the 22, and no matter what disgruntled fans or trolls say he's not ahead of anyone who remains.

The irony of the fan cries following Setterfield's departure is not lost on me, when he was at Carlton he wore as much whipping boy heat as Plowman, now Setterfield is gone he's the saviour we let slip through! :o
The Force Awakens!