Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2023 In Game Angst Carlton vs St. Kilda at Marvel (Read 3124 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2023 In Game Angst Carlton vs St. Kilda at Marvel

Reply #105
Wonder if the Pies should have kept Grundy because they had no rucks after Cox, Cameron and Kreuger went down with injuries? My answer would be no - you can’t stockpile players in any role. That’s not practical given caps on player numbers.

Saad, Newman, Docherty, Williams, Boyd, Cowan (who they obviously were eyeing off), Gov, and Plowman should have been enough but the injury gods weren’t with us. And in a parallel universe where we did keep Stocker and he played in the VFL because we didn’t have a problem with injuries, our supporters may well be complaining about keeping Stocker rather than adding another tall defender or tall forward or ruckman if injuries hit us in those areas.

Reply #106
Saad, Docherty, Williams
The problem isn't that we let Stocker go, the problem is that Stocker is capable to shutting down our small forwards, when he played for Carlton he wasn't very effective in that very same roll.

So is that a statement about Carlton, our small forwards or Stocker?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #107
I don’t think he was shutting down anybody today. He was a loose defender in a zone defence.

Reply #108
The problem isn't that we let Stocker go, the problem is that Stocker is capable to shutting down our small forwards, when he played for Carlton he wasn't very effective in that very same roll.

So is that a statement about Carlton, our small forwards or Stocker?
all of the above.

Only motivated players thrive at Carlton.

Stocker didn't have to shut anyone down.  He didn't tackle anyone all day.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #109
You can add Durdin and Motlop too......our small forwards gave us nothing and then you look at the opposition small forwards and they had us under pressure all game. We had a lot of the ball in the midfield but fecked around with it going sideways and gave our talls no hope and with impotent small forwards doing sweetFA that tells a story.

How deep to the Aints (and others) small forwards run though ?
I feel that we run deep, do we ?

I noticed that most forward entries by the Aints went to a target (Cordy ?) with a medium in a position to drift in front to mark and someone front and square.
I don’t see our small forwards front and square and I don’t see anyone in position to drift in front to take a protected mark, we just bomb it long and high.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #110
I don’t think he was shutting down anybody today. He was a loose defender in a zone defence.
He beat Durdin...why cant you admit he is a reasonable senior player? He has played every game this season in the team that is the top of the ladder. You reckon he isnt any good so why didnt our small forwards kick a bag on him?
Why can Ross Lyon and SOS see something in him worthwhile?

Reply #111
all of the above.

Only motivated players thrive at Carlton.

Stocker didn't have to shut anyone down.  He didn't tackle anyone all day.
Either did Fisher, Durdin was his opponent who never went near him all day and let him get three inside 50s of which two ended up being goals. He also put his body on the line when Charlie came through in a marking contest, we didnt see that from any of our small forwards....

Reply #112
Either did Fisher, Durdin was his opponent who never went near him all day and let him get three inside 50s of which two ended up being goals. He also put his body on the line when Charlie came through in a marking contest, we didnt see that from any of our small forwards....

All of them were terrible.  Mitch Robinson when he was sacked was at least a 25 to 30 odd tough nut with odd brain fade.

Stocker is an also ran.  It's like pining about jed lamb.

Paul Hewson

Reply #113
He beat Durdin...why cant you admit he is a reasonable senior player? He has played every game this season in the team that is the top of the ladder. You reckon he isnt any good so why didnt our small forwards kick a bag on him?
Why can Ross Lyon and SOS see something in him worthwhile?
Did he? I saw no evidence that he was on Durdin. Or should I say that I saw no evidence that Durdin was on him as you seem to think small forwards are taggers. I’ve always thought defenders were supposed to tag forwards.

The only guy I saw running with Durdin was Wanganeen-Milleara. And mostly Durdin seemed to be playing as a high half-forward.

If Stocker really was on Durdin, then he’ll be dropped next week. The goal Durdin scored occurred when Durdin ran into F50 to the left of the marking contest on the left flank and Stocker was pretty much in front of goals. They were separated by about 30 metres and indeed Durdin ran his full measure and kicked over Stocker who wasn’t close enough to spoil the shot. Losing your forward by that much if you’re supposed to be playing man-on-man would be unforgivable in Lyon’s eyes.

The Saints play Port next and it’ll be interesting to see if he is given the responsibility of stopping Rankine or Rachele. I doubt it. As the Saints get players back, Stocker will be thanked for his service and sent back to help out the VFL team.

Reply #114
Did he? I saw no evidence that he was on Durdin. Or should I say that I saw no evidence that Durdin was on him as you seem to think small forwards are taggers. I’ve always thought defenders were supposed to tag forwards.

The only guy I saw running with Durdin was Wanganeen-Milleara.

If Stocker really was on Durdin, then he’ll be dropped next week. The goal Durdin scored occurred when Durdin ran into F50 to the left of the marking contest on the left flank and Stocker was pretty much in front of goals. They were separated by about 30 metres and indeed Durdin ran his full measure and kicked over Stocker who wasn’t close enough to spoil the shot. Losing your forward by that much if you’re supposed to be playing man-on-man would be unforgivable in Lyon’s eyes.

The Saints play Port next and it’ll be interesting to see if he is given the responsibility of stopping Rankine or Rachele. I doubt it. As the Saints get players back, Stocker will be thanked for his service and sent back to help out the VFL team.

rankine and Rachel play for the crows not port

Paul Hewson

Reply #116

The only guy I saw running with Durdin was Wanganeen-Milleara. And mostly Durdin seemed to be playing as a high half-forward.

He was on Durdin for starters and you know it but good try anyway.....by the way I'm glad you are not scouting the next game for Voss  because you wouldnt know that Stockers likely opponents would be the likes of Junior Rioli, Byrne Jones etc.....and not Rankine etc..
Lyon was very complimentary of Cordy's game too...hasnt been your day has it..... said everyone for the Saints made a contribution so sadly for you I think Stocker might be sneaking another game next week.