Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 6919 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #225
Last year we were 4-2.
With losses to the Suns and Dockers  and 1 point win over Hawthorn and a 3 point win over Port.

We all got caught up in the moment but revisiting it we weren't that great.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #226
In terms of how we should be playing Saints game was best for the year.
So in other words playing like rubbish and still in top eight.
Small forwards have been worrying me for a long time and nothing past six games suggests won't be our weak-link again this year.

Reply #227
St Kilda may well be a better team overall with King as the spearhead. But counterintuitively, his absence hurt us. Our 2 KPDs had no obvious matchups but we couldn’t omit Weets and/or Young in order to deal with St Kilda’s smaller forward line. You can’t disrupt your back 6 on a horses for courses basis - you have to allow your KPDs to try to deal with that situation as it may well crop up unexpectedly in games. And we didn’t have any small defenders demanding a spot anyway.

Reply #228
Last year we were 4-2.
With losses to the Suns and Dockers  and 1 point win over Hawthorn and a 3 point win over Port.

We all got caught up in the moment but revisiting it we weren't that great.

Our game vs Sydney was top shelf until we let them back into the game.  Personally, some of our losses were way better than our wins.  I.e.  Collingwood x2, and the Melbourne game.  We played really well and shot ourselves in the foot by going to sleep when the games were there to be won in most of them.

We are on the right path.  If I cast my mind back, I seem to remember Richmond were the kings of stuffing around with the footy and kicking laterally out of the middle of the ground back in like 2011-2013 and were a complete rabble.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #229
Richmond were masters of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #230
Interesting grab from 3AW where Doc did special comments I think got the Monday game, they asked him if they reviewed the game and where it went wrong, he answered "ball use".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #231
Everything old is new again, welcome to the new Nthmond! ;D

You just know the worm is going to turn on the Filth as well, and with it we will celebrate the return of The Wobbles!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #232
Interesting grab from 3AW where Doc did special comments I think got the Monday game, they asked him if they reviewed the game and where it went wrong, he answered "ball use".
Really hard to overcome the headspace issues that come with a lack of form, blokes can't pull the trigger to hit a targets, they hesitate, and from there on things only get worse because in that moment the target goes from a barn wall to pretty much threading the mouse's ear!

It's a very nasty nasty feedback loop!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #233

That was my exact thoughts also on the St Kilda game. Ball use and decision making was crap.

My concern is why is it crap? I think our players are simply not as skilled as the better teams. Look at our forwards in particular Harry, Charlie, Fisher, Jack, are all unreliable by foot if they have to field kick. (Jack used to be decent but he has fallen away this year) And if its a shot at goal Charlie is the only one you can 'just' rely on - the others and it literally could go anywhere.

And midfield wise Cerra, Cripps, Kennedy, Acres and Hewitt are also IMO average at best by foot with Walsh being the only one I think you can genuinely rely on consistently hit a target under pressure.

Compare that to the top teams where they have good users on each line and we are miles behind and this factor decides games most weeks.

Is it training that is sub par at our club or just in the players DNA.... I dont know?

Reply #234
St Kilda may well be a better team overall with King as the spearhead. But counterintuitively, his absence hurt us. Our 2 KPDs had no obvious matchups but we couldn’t omit Weets and/or Young in order to deal with St Kilda’s smaller forward line. You can’t disrupt your back 6 on a horses for courses basis - you have to allow your KPDs to try to deal with that situation as it may well crop up unexpectedly in games. And we didn’t have any small defenders demanding a spot anyway.
We didnt have any listed genuine small defenders at all other than the underdone Boyd......didnt Kennedy have to spend time down back? Looks like we need to recruit some small defenders, maybe some kind team can give us one for free..

Reply #235

Don't we know it thanks to Nick Duigan and the best sub in history.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #236
We didnt have any listed genuine small defenders at all other than the underdone Boyd......didnt Kennedy have to spend time down back? Looks like we need to recruit some small defenders, maybe some kind team can give us one for free..

Great idea. Let's check with the drugcheats and saints. They're probably waiting for the opportunity to return the favour 😆
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #237
That was my exact thoughts also on the St Kilda game. Ball use and decision making was crap.

My concern is why is it crap? I think our players are simply not as skilled as the better teams. Look at our forwards in particular Harry, Charlie, Fisher, Jack, are all unreliable by foot if they have to field kick. (Jack used to be decent but he has fallen away this year) And if its a shot at goal Charlie is the only one you can 'just' rely on - the others and it literally could go anywhere.

And midfield wise Cerra, Cripps, Kennedy, Acres and Hewitt are also IMO average at best by foot with Walsh being the only one I think you can genuinely rely on consistently hit a target under pressure.

Compare that to the top teams where they have good users on each line and we are miles behind and this factor decides games most weeks.

Is it training that is sub par at our club or just in the players DNA.... I dont know?
Doc suggested that they rectified issues from the Adelaide game and there was alot he felt they did right. He felt ball use was what cost them the game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #238

- Charlie is the best kick (field and goal kicking) at the club by a long way so I disagree with you on this. I trust him implicitly when he has the ball in his hand. He is a straight, long, penetrating kick.
- Harry has always been a bad kick, unless he does the around the corner kick he is terrible in front of goal. I would love to know his % of goals from drop punts versus the around the corner method. I would suggest it would be very highly weighted towards the snap. For me its between the ears.
- Jack is just terrible in front of goal, has been for a while. Field kicking he isn't too bad, I watched him practice and warm up having shots at goal at the Geelong game. I didn't see him put one through, not one and he had plenty of goes.
- Fisher I have commented to death, shouldn't be in the side (from an outsiders point of view).
- The mids maybe with the exception of Cerra are "off" with their disposal ATM, they are normally pretty good I feel especially George. I have mentioned that Cripps is 0-7 in front of goal this year, he had 10 goals at the same time last year and finished with 20 for the year.
I'm really hoping its a bit of a form slump with a lot of the players, its amazing what a couple of wins will do for the confidence of the group. It can turn quickly and you can get a roll as winning and confidence becomes infectious (just like poor disposal on the weekend).
We shall see.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #239
I was talking with a Collingwood supporter today.  H e was quite happy to point out our shortcomings.

In passing he said that Harry reminded him of Anthony Rocca, and he finished by saying " he'll do your head in by the time he's finished". 

Reluctantly I have to agree with him.