Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 6923 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #240
I was talking with a Collingwood supporter today.  H e was quite happy to point out our shortcomings.

In passing he said that Harry reminded him of Anthony Rocca, and he finished by saying " he'll do your head in by the time he's finished". 

Reluctantly I have to agree with him.

Anthony Rocca was a decent kick for goal and would take that side of his game over Harry. At least he had the balls trust himself and would follow a routine whether it was accurate was another thing. Could roost them from 65 as well.

Our guy looks like he doesn’t want the ball unless  it’s close in and on his preferred side. Not ideal when your main job is to finish off the play and score.

Harry reminds me more of Joe Daniher. Could be anything, yet too confidence affected imo and can be hard to rely on esp if he sprays the first few early on in a game.

Reply #241
@GI2C Harry's conversion of drop punts is likely higher IMHO.

He uses them so rarely he probably converts 2 in 3.  It's the banana and round the corner kick he is stuffing up lately.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #242
Anthony Rocca was a decent kick for goal and would take that side of his game over Harry.
Anthony Rocca was the Filth's version of Casboult, he kicked for goal at 44% but that is only because complete misses and OTFL doesn't form part of the stats. Sav Rocca was the great kick not Anthony.

Currently Harry kicks at 43%, in 2022 he kicked at 59% which is about as good as it gets!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #243
All I have to say on H - it is virtually impossible to find a KPF that constantly gets into positions to impact the scoreboard.
Yeah he will miss some shots bt providing he gets into positions to impact the scoreboard he is doing what majority of KPF in the competition can't do and thats getting into scoring positions.
H is one of the best in that regard.

Reply #244
After kicking 12 straight in the Millenium game, Fev kicked more points than goals in 2000 and only just scored more goals than points in 2001 and 2002. But then he turned into a dead-eyed dick converting 2/3rds of his shots.

Earl Spalding couldn’t buy a goal when he started at Carlton but made some adjustments and became a very reliable shot at goal.

Reply #245
All I have to say on H - it is virtually impossible to find a KPF that constantly gets into positions to impact the scoreboard.
Yeah he will miss some shots bt providing he gets into positions to impact the scoreboard he is doing what majority of KPF in the competition can't do and thats getting into scoring positions.
H is one of the best in that regard.
Yeah but when he gets the ball he just needs to slow down and think the play through.
He needs to learn to play to his strengths and abilities, turning and playing on and thinking on the run is not one of them.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #246
It’s clearly headspace for H.
For mine he’s still going the snap from too far out at times.
Hi work upfield this year has been great and game saving, just needs to continue to work on his kicking drills.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #247
It’s clearly headspace for H.
For mine he’s still going the snap from too far out at times.
Hi work upfield this year has been great and game saving, just needs to continue to work on his kicking drills.

Good points and agree. Prob is issues between the ears can be the hardest to solve.

Reply #248
Yeah but when he gets the ball he just needs to slow down and think the play through.
He needs to learn to play to his strengths and abilities, turning and playing on and thinking on the run is not one of them.

To me this is a symptom of a different problem.

When he takes his time pressure builds and you end up with even worse execution.

Let him play on instinct.  I suspect that he has the yips because he cost us against Richmond and also may have cost us against St. Kilda.

A player like Harry needs to be told.  If you aren't hitting the scoreboard rather than try to hit it, simply share it to someone who is in a better position to do so or keep taking the responsibility as you see fit.  Ease the pressure not mount it.  It makes it worse.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #249
Problem is that when Harry thinks, he shouldn't,  and when he doesn't think, he should.

Reply #250
We can all probably wear that hat dodge
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #251
Problem is that when Harry thinks, he shouldn't,  and when he doesn't think, he should.

H probably needs a really simple equation. Further out than, say, 25 metres... drop punt every time regardless of angles. Within 25, whichever seems best, take the time to decide then commit to it. It's the 'caught in two minds' which probably stuffs him up.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #252
The only guy who could coach him still plays for Richmond.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #253
H at 25 is still young - entered beast mode early at 23 - has another 10 years in front of him. He is just a very tall bloke and drop of ball is a fair distance from his hands to feet. He will continue to work on it but it isnt easy for him.

Reply #254
Fans want some constraints placed on BigH based on their past experiences and observations, but I can't ever recall seeing a bloke from any team who is capable of kicking bananas from outside 50m before, so it's all new!

Let him be, let him perfect his art the best he can and show us what he can do, we might be pleasantly surprised!
The Force Awakens!