Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 7 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast in Perth (Read 2912 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 7 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast in Perth

Reply #15
It's about Crippa's turn this time.🙄
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #16
It's about Crippa's turn this time.🙄
I'll go Mitch McGovern or Jeremy not playing on the basis two Mckays cant be on the field at anyone time so you cant have two McGoverns either...😉

Reply #17
Let's play which vital player will be unavailable for this week bingo
Cunningham, Marchbank, Williams, McGovern, Cottrell, Martin, Owies, Saad, Docherty, Boyd, Philp, McKay, Hewett, Kennedy
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #18
Let's play which vital player will be unavailable for this week bingo

That's funny. I was thinking the same. Who goes to the sick bay after medical results are in?
Who will be a late out?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #19
The worst part of our injury issue is you can't be confident they'll return in decent nick. I watched Dogs Weightman return from injury. It's worlds apart from the condition say George returned in. Go figure.

As for those injured players who are reinjured while they're in rehabilitation. It's a whole new level of bad luck / mismanagement 😮‍💨
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #20
Looking at that injured list, we really play with a list about 4-6 short c.f. other clubs.  Time to prune the dead wood Mark
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #21
At least the latest injury list suggests we might get back all of our injured players in the next 2 weeks (other than those who are out for the year). Some light at the end of the tunnel, fingers crossed.

Reply #22
At least the latest injury list suggests we might get back all of our injured players in the next 2 weeks (other than those who are out for the year). Some light at the end of the tunnel, fingers crossed.
Good that we will get some back in the next few weeks, some probably dont count as they'll just get injured again. In any case, our injuries pail into insignificance compared to WC's.
Given how many WA boys we have, I hope they go there switched on ready to do the business and not think its some junket to go home to party with family.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #23

Our problem seems to be that we get a few in and seem to lose a few at the same time though.  Lets hope that worm is finally turning.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
If I were given a “Captain’s Call” at the selection table, I’d use it to select Jordan Boyd. His strong suit is his kicking and we desperately need to get as many good kicks into the team as possible. Not that I’m confident he’s elite in that area. He had a quiet start to his career as a small defender last year after playing as a small forward at Footscray VFL and Spottie. But then he started to spear some long passes that seemed to confirm that he was indeed a good kick. And then he played the last of his 7 games in Rd 15 due to injury.

Bring him in to get another look at him. He is versatile as he has played footy at both ends on the ground and his kicking would be welcome whether coming out of defence or spotting up targets inside F50.

Reply #25
If I were given a “Captain’s Call” at the selection table, I’d use it to select Jordan Boyd. His strong suit is his kicking and we desperately need to get as many good kicks into the team as possible.
As a what-if perhaps, based on VFL form it's hard to select him at the moment.

And I do worry that such an MC selection would just put more focus on our monolithic targets and isn't really the multiple avenue to goal we desire or need!

The only bloke putting his hand up on a consistent basis has been Fogarty, with perhaps some cameos by Cincotta and Kemp, otherwise the cupboard is bare on the form line! ( Yes I know, I've not included Dow, and to me this is such a tragedy! )
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
VFL form? He returned from injury last weekend and had 21 disposals, 4 marks and 3 tackles as a defender. Not bad.

The Carlton match report said, “Jordan Boyd had a successful return back from injury, collecting 21 disposals and having an impact in both areas of the field.” He was also named in the best, albeit the last named.

Reply #27
VFL form? He returned from injury last weekend and had 21 disposals, 4 marks and 3 tackles as a defender. Not bad.
The stats are meaningless, I watched the full game and his DE would have been extremely low, if he managed to achieve 50% DE it must have been a spurt of energy while I was having a dump! Very unimpressive is the adjective that comes to mind.

At VFL these fulltime professional AFL players should be shooting the eyes out of crows in flight!

They are not Joe Blogs returning off a hammy after two weeks in the pub, they have been in fulltime managed recovery and performance training, they should be head and shoulders above VFL part-time counterparts.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
We need to get games into him before Docherty returns (given Saad is likely back this week). This is the perfect match to do it before we embark on 6 tough matches. He’s played a full game in the VFL, so he’s physically ready.

By the way, did you like the effort in the highlights package where he kicked an excellent 50m pass from the wing to Lefroy on the 50m arc on the fat side nicely in between 2 opponents, allowing him to mark and handball to Ronke for a goal? If only we had that sort of daring in the seniors …

Reply #29
Whilst I don't think it's right to label any of the other 17 teams as hopeless, easy beats etc., I think if the MC is wanting to try a few risky / experimental selections, the WC game is probably the best chance to do it IMO.