Skip to main content
Topic: Vale Barry Humphries  (Read 1052 times) previous topic - next topic

Vale Barry Humphries

Barry Humphries has died, aged 89.

I guess that he’s been a constant purveyor of humour and satire for most of my life.

My first real exposure to Barry was through “the Adventures of Barry McKenzie … that’s the comic, not the movie.  The movie was good, but not as good as the comic.

Barry was really a living treasure and his passing is a sad loss.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Vale Barry Humphries

Reply #1
LMAO many times thanks to Barry and Dame Edna. RIP 💐
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #2
It is a most unique situation whereby you lose three Australian icons at the one time.......Humphries, Edna and Les.

Reply #3
It is a most unique situation whereby you lose three Australian icons at the one time.......Humphries, Edna and Les.

Indeed. Took "me, myself, I" to the most creative heights.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #4
Rip Barry. An Icon gone and like many from that era we won’t see anyone of his ilk again.

Reply #5
For whatever reason, as they reported his passing last night, despite him being ill for some time, it dawned on me that Dame Edna is gone forever. Not often is a performers alter ego larger than the perform himself. Another great Australian who entertained the masses for decades gone.
RIP Dame Edna, Sir Les and Barry
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
Barry had the quickness of wit to carry Edna and Les into all manner of situations with absolute credibility, composure and hilarity... those two were real people.

I recall Sir Les being interviewed by Parkinson with Jackie Weaver as another guest; Sir Les joined them with a sizeable falace in his pants and Jackie lost it a few times as did Parko.

So many amazing memories created by this comic genius. RIP Mr Humphries... you national treasure.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7
Barry had the quickness of wit to carry Edna and Les into all manner of situations with absolute credibility, composure and hilarity... those two were real people.

I recall Sir Les being interviewed by Parkinson with Jackie Weaver as another guest; Sir Les joined them with a sizeable falace in his pants and Jackie lost it a few times as did Parko.

So many amazing memories created by this comic genius. RIP Mr Humphries... you national treasure.

I remembered the Parkinson interview.
It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen and I went and had a look at it on youtube again last night.
The total interview seems to be in several parts on there.
Barry Jones was the other guest.

Les kept adjusting his 'erection' and pointing it at Jackie who absolutely lost it at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfNvunRmgcw

RIP Barry

Reply #8
I remembered the Parkinson interview.
It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen and I went and had a look at it on youtube again last night.
The total interview seems to be in several parts on there.
Barry Jones was the other guest.

Les kept adjusting his 'erection' and pointing it at Jackie who absolutely lost it at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfNvunRmgcw

RIP Barry

That's the one... a classic.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOduzg0hn-k

If I need a laugh I watch this one as well as the Mike Willisee interview.

My brother stage managed a couple of his tours here.  He has an amazing art of making people very uncomfortable, partly because you don't know what is coming next and how offensive it is going to be!

One of those that his persona is his stage presence and needs that 'adoration'.  He struggled a bit with trying to retire as he missed the audiences.

Reply #10
I remember,  quite  a few years ago now, going to see him live in Melbourne.  Sandy Stone was the standout for me, hilarious.

RIP to Barry and all of his characters, you will be sorely missed.
Reality always wins in the end.