Skip to main content
Topic: What's wrong with Carlton (Read 1268 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What's wrong with Carlton

Reply #15
I'd be surprised if Paddy Dow couldn't do a better job as a crumbing small forward than the current crop.
At least he'd get the ball. ::)

I’m still of the opinion that our small forwards have been set other priorities
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #16
I'd be surprised if Paddy Dow couldn't do a better job as a crumbing small forward than the current crop.
At least he'd get the ball. ::)

Binns has played as a small forward at U18 level and Id give him a go too..

Reply #17
Not a huge fan of articles from M McG. Has that awesome ability to state the bleedin' obvious and focus on the easy stuff... the problems. No solutions or suggestions forthcoming.

However... the facts don't lie.

Personally, I believe it to be mostly above the shoulders and approach to games. The boldness and dare has vanished from our game, and this is when we look our most dangerous. We've got the talent on the paddock (mostly) to make quick, bold decisions and actions. Trust your instincts, don't try to control games. Take it on.

As with our MC selections, we've become conservative, cautious and totally reactionary. That is not a recipe for finals action. I put this on our Head of Football, B Lloyd. I was surprised he kept his job. Nothing in his CV suggests an exceptional HoF.

This conservative, cautious and reactionary attitude has infiltrated the playing group and is the antithesis of trusting a mostly talented group to be bold and play on instinct and as they say, 'put speed on the ball.' Look at the sides atop the ladder, plenty of speed on the aggott, risk and trust. Let this group take the game on with boldness and risk, it'll make us less predictable and will certainly support our forwards re quick entries before defenders can position themselves.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #18
I’m still of the opinion that our small forwards have been set other priorities
Id be questioning who set those priorities then because they hardly touch the ball, dont create much pressure and are very light on for goals. I'm beginning to think Owies is a bit more important to us than the others.
Its rare that our small forwards have a won us a game and then you look at players like Charlie Cameron, Papley, Higgins, Rankine etc hitting the scoreboard hard and winning games for their respective clubs.
Richmond have lost the edge they had with their small forwards and look very impotent now.....we need to improve strongly in this area and probably need to make some list changes accordingly imho.

Reply #19
Im not sold that Durdin is playing badly.

When Owies is in the team, he and Durdin both look fine.  Motlop is the one who tends to flash in and out of games more.  Its possible that without Owies, the work Durdin is doing is both unable to be seen and unrewarded.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #20
I'm beginning to think Owies is a bit more important to us than the others.
I've thought this for a while now, it's not that he has any special tricks the others don't have, he just plays at and has a level of physicality and work ethic that they don't, at least not yet.

I think it comes from being over in the NBA minor leagues, the little white guy surrounded by giants, you can imagine the workout he copped in the B-Grade comp, you'd have to be resilient!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
After the emotion of a loss, perspective tends to kick in for me. We are 3-1-2. The two losses were at the hands of the team at the top of the ladder (like it or not) and a red hot home team in Adelaide the week of gather round in Adelaide. We were missing arguably our two best running defenders the. Ive taken a Bex, had a lie down and reset my mind to this week. Lets see how it pans out. Then we have some serious tests but if we can get back to our even near best, we can make a good fist of it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
I've thought this for a while now, it's not that he has any special tricks the others don't have, he just plays at and has a level of physicality and work ethic that they don't, at least not yet.

I think it comes from being over in the NBA minor leagues, the little white guy surrounded by giants, you can imagine the workout he copped in the B-Grade comp, you'd have to be resilient!

Owies was a bench guard in the main so had limited minutes for the Rainbow Warriors in Huawei   so you have to make the most of your time to impact. He also played as an inside mid at St Kevins so he knows how to win his own ball, take a hit and work in traffic. Id actually like to see Motlop and Durdin  thrown on the ball during games especially when we need a lift and see if they can give us some spark, at worst it will give them more experience and they might actually help win us a game or two if they can impact.

Reply #23
Has McGuane revised his opinion yet?

Yes, it was a win over a relatively weak West Coast but they’ve had a win and will trouble more highly rated teams over the season.

The problem with so-called “expert analyses” is that they select factoids that support their premises and ignore other, more relevant data.  I suspect that any of our assistant coaches could run rings around McGuane when it comes understanding modern footy.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #24

Yes, it was a win over a relatively weak West Coast but they’ve had a win and will trouble more highly rated teams over the season.

The problem with so-called “expert analyses” is that they select factoids that support their premises and ignore other, more relevant data.  I suspect that any of our assistant coaches could run rings around McGuane when it comes understanding modern footy.

He should hand back his wages for writing it.

Reply #25

West Coast are horrible...their WAFL version is getting hammered every week and their recruiting sucks bigtime, they need a cleanout on and off the field. I never thought I would see such a poor WC team given their finances and membership resources.
I think we can also look at the Richmond game and view that as an unspectacular result too and we gave away 2 points. They are terrible and also need a rebuild and new voice in the coaching box.

Reply #26
West Coast are horrible...their WAFL version is getting hammered every week and their recruiting sucks bigtime, they need a cleanout on and off the field. I never thought I would see such a poor WC team given their finances and membership resources.
I think we can also look at the Richmond game and view that as an unspectacular result too and we gave away 2 points. They are terrible and also need a rebuild and new voice in the coaching box.

West Coast might be horrible but we scored our first >100 points winning margin since 2011.  That's what the better teams do to teams that are struggling and we haven't been able to manage that for far too long.  West Coast has 18 players out with injury, including some of their better players and they'll trouble teams if they can get some key players back.  Of course, West Coast defeated GWS, who have been competitive in all of their games and got wins against Adelaide and the Swans.

Richmond is another team with a significant injury list and they will be a force in the second half of the season.  They had a much stronger list to choose from in Round 1.

It wasn't so long ago that folk were writing Geelong off too.

Despite some lopsided results and apparent easybeats at the bottom of the ladder, it's a very even competition and any team can get rolled if it's a little off its game.

I expect we'll hear "Brisbane don't travel well" and "They missed Zorko and Rich" when we win on Friday.

Only a premiership will silence the doubters ... and that's how it should be.  But that doesn't give self-proclaimed "experts" like McGuane the right to go unchallenged when he serves up a load of unsubstantiated waffle.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
Id be questioning who set those priorities then because they hardly touch the ball, dont create much pressure and are very light on for goals. I'm beginning to think Owies is a bit more important to us than the others.
Its rare that our small forwards have a won us a game and then you look at players like Charlie Cameron, Papley, Higgins, Rankine etc hitting the scoreboard hard and winning games for their respective clubs.
Richmond have lost the edge they had with their small forwards and look very impotent now.....we need to improve strongly in this area and probably need to make some list changes accordingly imho.

You watch StKilda play.
They go forward to a moving target and they have someone float across in front to take a protected mark BUT they also have someone front and square to crumb.
We do not.
The only reason I can think of for WHY is that our small forwards have been assigned “other tasks”
You’re right, they don’t get big tackle numbers and they don’t kick many goals, but maybe they are filling spaces and blocking traffic so we don’t get hurt so hard on the rebound ?
Our small forwards are not big goal kickers.
Our small forwards are not big tacklers.
I can only assume they have other tasks that are viewed as being more important… 🤷🏼‍♂️
Let’s go BIG !