Skip to main content
Topic: Weiters scammed  (Read 3739 times) previous topic - next topic

Weiters scammed

Reported on Ch7 Weiters was scammed out of a significant amount of money via a fake NAB text and phone call.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: Weiters scammed

Reply #1
Reported on Ch7 Weiters was scammed out of a significant amount of money via a fake NAB text and phone call.

Sympathies to Weiters. I had a narrow escape a couple of months ago but at the last minute I pulled the pin on the electronic dialog and went into the branch the next day. The staff there confirmed that the calls and texts were not from the bank. Just hope that all the branches are not closed down!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2
Sympathies to Weiters. I had a narrow escape a couple of months ago but at the last minute I pulled the pin on the electronic dialog and went into the branch the next day. The staff there confirmed that the calls and texts were not from the bank. Just hope that all the branches are not closed down!
I essentially no longer take calls from any organisation. I call them if I need to. As for texts and emails with links? Delete.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #3
Wow. I thought weiters was smarter than that.

No wonder we are crap.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
That's enough to throw anyone off their game.

Reply #5
That's enough to throw anyone off their game.
Yes, it was reported that unfortunately, the money is gone and he isn't getting it back.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #7
These guys talk with their managers at least every second day, surely he mentioned something to his manager and or financial advisor???

Reply #8
I essentially no longer take calls from any organisation. I call them if I need to. As for texts and emails with links? Delete.

Likewise. If I don't know the number then I don't answer it... if it's legit, they'll leave a message. The end. Same with text messages... unfamiliar - delete. The end.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #9
Wow. I thought weiters was smarter than that.

No wonder we are crap.

Probably a bit harsh there Thry. It can happen to anyone, especially a professional sportsman with a million footy related things on his mind. It only takes one brain fade.

Reply #10
Likewise. If I don't know the number then I don't answer it... if it's legit, they'll leave a message. The end. Same with text messages... unfamiliar - delete. The end.

That’s what I normally do Baggers but beware of spoof caller ids.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #11
Ditto....I dont even ring much ...only deal in branch, hence I dont deal with any company that doesnt have a proper set of branches that I can physically walk into. The NAB text scam has been around for a while and NAB have sent a few warning messages out...

Reply #12
Probably a bit harsh there Thry. It can happen to anyone, especially a professional sportsman with a million footy related things on his mind. It only takes one brain fade.

That’ll make him feel a lot better.

I get it, fans want to molly coddle, but these scams have been flying around for a while and I expect better from one of the smartest players in our team.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
I get it, fans want to molly coddle, but these scams have been flying around for a while and I expect better from one of the smartest players in our team.

Good grief, you’re only as smart as your last distracted click…
No one’s organising a gofundme, ease up.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #14
Hubris has a tendency to bite the hand that feeds it.

Scams are becoming pretty sophisticated, I wouldn't dare think I won't be the next one scammed and I hope you don't suffer such a fate.

I read in a tech journal the other day about the new uses of AI that crooks are implementing. In the USA with AI now picking up speed, if you have enough cash to buy a HPC you setup a private system, from just a very very small audio sample the crooks can copy a loved ones voice, and then conduct a real-time phone call conversation with the target victim using another persons voice. The scam is they ring a loved ones close relative to collect an audio sample, the AI can then from the sample it gathers convert spoken words into the sampled voice in real time. It is like the "Mum I lost my phone" scam amplified 1000x to the point you are going to have to distrust a loved one ringing for help.
The Force Awakens!