Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2023 Rd 6 Carlton vs Footscray at Port Melbourne (Read 1846 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL 2023 Rd 6 Carlton vs Footscray at Port Melbourne

Set for 1105 on Saturday Morning. Almost certainly we'll have no emergencies playing. We'll take at least 2.
Mirkov? Lemmey? We badly missed them last week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL 2023 Rd 6 Carlton vs Footscray at Port Melbourne

Reply #1

Interesting. Carroll has been 'managed'; none of the emergencies are playing. Lemmey and Mirkov are back, with Mirkov named on the bench! Not sure what that says, to be honest: Mirkov gets taps by the hundreds, while O'Keefe barely had any last week.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
TDK looking a little disinterested playing fwd.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
Liking Binnsy's game.

We're dominating ruck contests but the Dishlickers are sharking them. Noticed twice in the first qtr where Dow shirked defensive tackles in important positions on the ground... maybe explains something.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #4
Well, I think we are seeing a bit of a tell today.

We are also seeing the relative worthlessness of winning the taps in the absence of influence over other areas of ruck work.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
First time I've seen Mircov live for a while. Ruck craft is looking good, (esp against Darcy who has played footy all him life) but he has no footy awareness after that! Lemmey looks very promising (he's a big kid!) and Dom is picking up the game well.

Reply #6
BlueBaggers down by 4 gls at half time. 8.5 to 4.5

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7
First time I've seen Mircov live for a while. Ruck craft is looking good, (esp against Darcy who has played footy all him life) but he has no footy awareness after that! Lemmey looks very promising (he's a big kid!) and Dom is picking up the game well.
Darcy is way over-rated, he's their because of his name not his ability.

Mirkov so far off AFL standard it's barely visible on the horizon, if he gets a run it's a dead-set tell we've injuries being carried or end of season trades coming.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
Cottrell and Boyd rusty as expected, the latter gave away a free and a 50 which both resulted in goals.
Binns and Dow busy.
TDK not really dominating a VFL game as you'd expect for a player supposedly attracting millions of dollars.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #9
Cottrell and Boyd rusty as expected, the latter gave away a free and a 50 which both resulted in goals.
Binns and Dow busy.
TDK not really dominating a VFL game as you'd expect for a player supposedly attracting millions of dollars.
I was just about to post the same thing, the Boyd / Cottrell issue makes me question our performance staff far more than any other issue of injuries and recovery. These blokes are fulltime professionals and they should at the bare minimum come in and run all over the part-timers, even if they kick like mechanical cockroaches and fumble everything that comes their way they should still be running VFL type opponents into the ground.

It is also perhaps a bit of a tell about how we think of VFL, it's an AFL training session, we aren't serious about building a winning culture at all levels. To me this is wasteful and misses the point of running your own VFL team, the culture is more important than just about anything else!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
I was just about to post the same thing, the Boyd / Cottrell issue makes me question our performance staff far more than any other issue of injuries and recovery. These blokes are fulltime professionals and they should at the bare minimum come in and run all over the part-timers, even if they kick like mechanical cockroaches and fumble everything that comes their way they should still be running VFL type opponents into the ground.

It is also perhaps a bit of a tell about how we think of VFL, it's an AFL training session, we aren't serious about building a winning culture at all levels. To me this is wasteful and misses the point of running your own VFL team, the culture is more important than just about anything else!
Quality players like Wash come from injury and dont miss a beat, ordinary players like Cottrell and Boyd needs time to get touch.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #11
Quality players like Wash come from injury and dont miss a beat, ordinary players like Cottrell and Boyd needs time to get touch.
I get that, but I don't get them being behind play, they should be the first to arrive at the ball and the last to drop off the chase!

FFS Carlton, become a bit brutal at all levels of footy and the AFL results will follow!

There is a reason why success follows blokes like Clarkson, Matthews, Balme, they are brutal, they want to win whether it's against the best of the best or the Eucumbene Scout Hall 5ths. They aren't happy with 10 goals, if they get 10 goals they want 20 goals and if they get 20 goals they want 30 goals, it's unrelenting, and the opposition scoring 1pt is just 1pt too many!

There is not a hope in hell our current team would win a game with 30-30-210, we aren't relentless in mindset, we'd probably force Charlie and BigH to play the last quarter for the opposition!

Carlton has grown fat and comfortable on high AFL wages and media profile, I suspect our Penfold's sponsorship is a confirmation of that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
I wonder if TDK is struggling to carry the extra bulk he supposedly put on over the PS. Looks all at sea.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #13
Just wasted 30 mins watching. The cupboard is very bare.

TDK disappointing. Same old from Dow, O'Brien, Plowman and co. Binns might have something.

We cannot handle a defensive press. Not a lot of leadership out on the ground either.

Reply #14
I wonder if TDK is struggling to carry the extra bulk he supposedly put on over the PS. Looks all at sea.

TDK is a mystery for many supporters
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.