Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 7 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast (Read 3250 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 7 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #15
I thought Durdin was much better tonight, got up the ground, got involved, it makes a difference.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
I thought Durdin was much better tonight, got up the ground, got involved, it makes a difference.
Agree.. think he enjoyed the open spaces and his kicking was good to players on the lead. Playing a bit higher might suit him better..

Reply #17
Are you saying we should have stocked up on a few small defenders?....
No, you didn’t read my post properly. We need small defenders to sit on Charlie Cameron and Cam Rayner. About the only thing Stocker can sit on is the pine. If you saw the Saints v Port game, can you tell me who he played on? I watched it closely and I’m pretty sure he was a loose/zone defender. As he was against us (if he was playing on Durdin, maybe you can explain why they were never shoulder to shoulder). But I’m sure that sort of observation conflicts with your need to show he would have been a lockdown defender for us.

Looks like we now have Doc, Saad, Newman, Cowan, Kemp, Gov, Cincotta and Boyd available. The trick is to give the task of shutting down Cameron and Rayner to the right guys. Of course, Saad would be able to play man on man with Charlie, but do we lose too much rebound from him?

Reply #18
No, you didn’t read my post properly. We need small defenders to sit on Charlie Cameron and Cam Rayner. About the only thing Stocker can sit on is the pine. If you saw the Saints v Port game, can you tell me who he played on? I watched it closely and I’m pretty sure he was a loose/zone defender. As he was against us (if he was playing on Durdin, maybe you can explain why they were never shoulder to shoulder). But I’m sure that sort of observation conflicts with your need to show he would have been a lockdown defender for us.

Looks like we now have Doc, Saad, Newman, Cowan, Kemp, Gov, Cincotta and Boyd available. The trick is to give the task of shutting down Cameron and Rayner to the right guys. Of course, Saad would be able to play man on man with Charlie, but do we lose too much rebound from him?
Not sure why you keep making Stocker out to be a dud. Yes he looks to have a fitness base that is lacking but he is a tough run straight at the man defender that like him or not has impressed Ross Lyon enough to play him every week. Saints sit 2nd on the ladder and he has played every week in an Important position - the kid is no dud

In regards to this weeks game Rayner will probably get Newman but Cameron is a much harder match up and cameron is impossible to stop
If he gets enough looks and the only hope is to reduce the entries by controlling the game up the field. If Cameron gets enough looks he will carve you up.

Reply #19

re: Saad...No 1 job for any defender is to defend and stop their man getting the ball, you would sacrifice any rebound to stop Cameron .I think Durdin had 6-7 possies vs the Saints and was unsighted, Stocker could have been sat in the bar at the MCG and wouldnt have had to worry about him. He was better up the ground tonight running and kicking into the forward 50 early but still managed only 10 possies in an avalanche win which wasnt great and is probably lucky Honey is in the team and will get dropped before him for Motlop next week.
Rayner isnt a small forward imo, he would have to be 6'2 and around 90kg and plays a bit like Zurhaar or Rohan and will need a more substantial player on him who can handle him in the air as well as be able to outmuscle him.
Lincoln McCarthy is another smaller/mid type forward but again his forte is marking and will need a competent player in the air.

Reply #20
It's great that we played four quarters and did not ease off giving away junk time goals. 

However,  we will be punished in the matches coming up  if we continue with the turnovers by foot when in attack, even when not under pressure.

Reply #21
Not sure why you keep making Stocker out to be a dud. Yes he looks to have a fitness base that is lacking but he is a tough run straight at the man defender that like him or not has impressed Ross Lyon enough to play him every week. Saints sit 2nd on the ladder and he has played every week in an Important position - the kid is no dud
As we know, Ross Lyon believes in a zone structure that’s quite different to ours. Ideal for Stocker as he doesn’t have a set opponent who can expose his weaknesses. And it’s interesting that the Saints might be 2nd but they’re only 2 points ahead of us. Of course, they’ve also had a lot of injuries and it’ll be interesting to see whether Stocker gives up his spot in the zone as they get back players. But there’s no way Voss would have wanted to give Stocker the task of locking down Charlie Cameron, Cam Rayner or Lincoln McCarthy. It’ll be interesting to see what Lyon does with Stocker when they play the Lions but as that’s in Rd 15, maybe he won’t be in the team by then. A more interesting short-term prospect will be what role Stocker is given in 2 Week’s time against the Crows. Could he be given the job of keeping Rankine or Rachele quiet?

Reply #22
I think Durdin had 6-7 possies vs the Saints and was unsighted, Stocker could have been sat in the bar at the MCG and wouldnt have had to worry about him.
Baby steps are good. You have at last conceded he wasn’t playing on Durdin, which explains why Durdin was 30m away from Stocker when Durdin gathered the ball inside 50 and kicked his goal. Which makes me wonder why you are trying to compare them when they weren’t on each other.

Reply #23
It was great to see a few more players hit the scoreboard. Like MK, Newy, Kemp, and young Hollands.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #24
Baby steps are good. You have at last conceded he wasn’t playing on Durdin, which explains why Durdin was 30m away from Stocker when Durdin gathered the ball inside 50 and kicked his goal. Which makes me wonder why you are trying to compare them when they weren’t on each other.
Stocker played on Durdin as you well know......the latter wouldnt pick him up as he made position down the ground thats why he had double the amount of ball Durdin had.  You said Stocker would be dropped for this weeks game after Durdins devastating game , obviously Lyon didnt agree...

Reply #25
Didnt see any of the game, saw the score just then, thats exactly what we had to do. Onto next week.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26
It's funny to hear supporters and commentators talking about a percentage boosting win.  Our percentage will only come into consideration if we end up on equal points with Richmond or any other team that draws a game this season  ::)

I think it's more of a confidence boosting win.

And don't fall for the "Weagles are just a WAFL team" story.  Despite their injuries, the Weagles are more than capable of knocking off any team in the competition if they're on their game and the opposition isn't switched on.  That's the nature of the competition.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
Thought McKay did a lot of good things against the lightweight opponents but he seems to go into panic mode too often.

Having said that, I was relieved to note that he seemed more likely to take his time to set up (after taking a mark) to take a set shot for goal than usual - although, it is no wonder his 'round the corner' kicks are so unreliable; he drops the ball from way-high and with little control over the ball drop; the chances of a consistent outcome are random.

Reply #28
I wouldnt be reading too much into this game and just take the win and percentage, there was WAFL quality opposition on the park and we did what we had to do.

Interesting.... I wonder if Melbourne thought the same way, or put it down to being totally ruthless when the opportunity presents. 

Reply #29
I wrote this a couple of weeks ago. ;D

With Curnow though, I don't think we've ever seen his best.
I just get the feeling that one day he's going to take a game and abolutely throttle it.
Double figure goals.
It will be a bit like a 'Kouta 2000' when he finally hits it.
Unstoppable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwrodxghrw