Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 7 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast (Read 3345 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 7 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #30
Interesting.... I wonder if Melbourne thought the same way, or put it down to being totally ruthless when the opportunity presents. 

Yep - taken 10 yrs but finally got there.

Reply #31
West Coast has been pushing the proverbial up hill since covid. They show a bit of fight from time to time, but too much is left to too few, and at certain times, the dam wall just breaks. They had a couple of 100 point losses last season. They came out with a little fight last night, which by half time basically evaporated. That game was one level below a training drill. I really hope the boys don't over inflate the meaningfulness of that win. On paper it looks brilliant, but when you look at the opposition...........

Reply #32
West Coast has been pushing the proverbial up hill since covid. They show a bit of fight from time to time, but too much is left to too few, and at certain times, the dam wall just breaks. They had a couple of 100 point losses last season. They came out with a little fight last night, which by half time basically evaporated. That game was one level below a training drill. I really hope the boys don't over inflate the meaningfulness of that win. On paper it looks brilliant, but when you look at the opposition...........

Yes but we won't beat top opposition by 100 points thats just above and beyond over expectation.

WCE s very weakened but we have been weakened by injuries with 15-18 players out on sidelines for "years".

Reply #33
Just saw the press conferences.
Simpson's was about as deflated as I've seen a coach.
It's pretty obvious they're undermanned...and it doesn't look like getting better in the coming weeks.
Only 26 available for training...so match committee/team selections would be a short meeting.
I think he was more disappointed with the effort, which has been mostly good... but the dam burst last night.

Reply #34
The best thing that came out of last night was seeing the TEAM first mindset.
The delivery into the forward line was 100% better than what we have been serving up.
Leading in the forward line! Honoring those leads into the forward line! Kicking to advantage!
Sounds basic but finally when we do it we get results.
Harry and Charlie also looked like they didn't want to lead the same way. Finally working together.
Harry has some serious speed and if he wanted to could do Fev type leads.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #35
It's great that we played four quarters and did not ease off giving away junk time goals. 

However,  we will be punished in the matches coming up  if we continue with the turnovers by foot when in attack, even when not under pressure.
We did this constantly in the Saints game

I’ve only so far watched the first half of last nights game - this happened far far too many times under absolutely zero pressure

Why? Is it the fault of the kicker not thinking or is it the fault of the proposed receiver not being in position? 

Reply #36
There were plenty of examples of excellent F50 entries last night but I agree there were too many poor ones resulting in turnovers, most of which went unpunished.  We must work to get this problem under control against the better teams.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #37
Just saw the press conferences.
Simpson's was about as deflated as I've seen a coach.
It's pretty obvious they're undermanned...and it doesn't look like getting better in the coming weeks.
Only 26 available for training...so match committee/team selections would be a short meeting.
I think he was more disappointed with the effort, which has been mostly good... but the dam burst last night.
That's the worst WC team I have seen, it was like playing a WAFL lineup.
Simpson has substandard players and raw kids to work with. The experienced players like Hurn and Darling are finished and should have joined Kennedy in retirement.
Even some of his injured players like Yeo, Shuey, NicNat are too banged up to play a full season.
The AFL will have to give them draft concessions and allow them some extra players as they are just uncompetitive.
The only thing they have going for them is they are a cashed up club with a good membership but last night was an embarrassment for the AFL.

Reply #38
Tough crowd here, you can only play what's in front of you, it needed to be a flogging and thankfully it was. On that basis, it was a great performance.
Onto next week, hopefully the guys received some much needed confidence, it will be tough and they need to remain level headed.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #39
West Coast remind me a bit of the banged up Carlton of 2002.
In Rnd 18 that year we lost to Collingwood by 108 points ;)

At least they'll get to keep their draft picks so it might not take them 20+ years.

Reply #40
Very very happy with the percentage boosting win because our ladder position desperately needed it.

However, we turned the ball over at some very strange times in the match and more times than not under no pressure at all. Had we done that stuff against one of the better teams we would have been given a serious touch-up.

Cincotta & Kemp showed that they have a future in our backline, they are straight ahead no-nonsense sort of players. I can't see them ever being bona-fide A-Graders but they don't have to be. Put those two in with young Cowan and let them all grow together, I think we honestly have something of substance with the the three of them.

Whilst I'm no Pittonet fan, he was pretty good whenever the ball was above his waist, if it ever falls below that level he is next to useless. TDK may be younger and more agile but it showed tonight that Pitto is going to be the preferred option and Tom will be on the trade table.

Curnow had a day out and it was a shame he couldn't get his 10th but that the way it goes. Harry should have kicked another couple but he seems well out of sorts at the moment. It was pretty obvious that we don't have anyone else in the forwardline we can rely on and this is going to be a huge issue for the rest of the season unless someone has a mid-season transformation into Jezza, Fev, Eddie or Sticks.  

I thought Cerra & Docherty were good all game & Hollands just keeps doing the basics really well.

Silvagni did bugger all for most of the match as did Cripps. Honey kicked a nice goal and gave off that smart pass to Silvagni but that was about it. Fisher continues to try the impossible and always gets himself into trouble, Walsh hit an Eagles player on the chest by foot more times than I have ever seem him do, hope that is a one-off.

Overall, we comprehensively beat a team we were expected to (and they gave everything they had for 3/4 too) but it doesn't erase or make up for the past two losses which were pathetic & insipid.   

Lions next Friday night is going to another litmus test.

The important thing I saw wasn't the win but the attitude. We haven't brought that often at all. First time I've seen Carlton put their foot on the throat for 4 qtrs. for years. Normally it would have been a 50 to 60pts lead, foot off the gas and win by 35 to 40pts. Hopefully means the penny has dropped. Not worried so much about better sides, we can match anyone, as we have seen in the last couple of years, it's about the attitude we bring. Bring the right attitude and we win most games.

Reply #41
Simpson has substandard players and raw kids to work with. The experienced players like Hurn and Darling are finished and should have joined Kennedy in retirement.
Even some of his injured players like Yeo, Shuey, NicNat are too banged up to play a full season.
The AFL will have to give them draft concessions and allow them some extra players as they are just uncompetitive.
The only thing they have going for them is they are a cashed up club with a good membership but last night was an embarrassment for the AFL.
Similar scoreline to the Dees v Kangamaybes? Maybe one of them should move to Tassie?
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #42

We were that embarrassment in 2018. Having 3 100+ beltings. 2015 wasn't much better either. Covid wasn't a thing but we still managed classic defeats across those seasons.

Thankfully we seem to be on the improve now but we have all been there.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #43
Nice. And as some of us have been saying for a while... this group needed to really put a weaker side away with 4 strong, consistent qtrs, especially finishing well. Not so long ago we would have surrendered that big lead and won by about 7 or 8 gls, regardless of the opponent. Well done boys.

Small Durds looks so much better when he can roam up the ground.

H needs a big haul to regain some goal kicking confidence. Every other part of his game is really good.

Blacres is a great pick up.

Honey & Fisher remain on thin ice, and Hollands needs a rest.

Great to see Doc and Saady get through the game okay.

The more I see of Cincotta the more I like him. Provides dash and excellent disposal (except for one turnover).

Defence, midfield and forwards, as groups, all delivered.

And when the early heat was on, Kempy was really good, with some impressive intercept marks and spoils.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #44
Tough crowd here, you can only play what's in front of you, it needed to be a flogging and thankfully it was. On that basis, it was a great performance.
Onto next week, hopefully the guys received some much needed confidence, it will be tough and they need to remain level headed.

That would have been a "danger game" for us a couple of seasons ago but we managed to get our first 100+ points winning margin since 2011.

All part of developing the culture  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball