Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 7 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast (Read 3418 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 7 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #45
Sorry EB, the weegles can rot for all I care.  Draft concessions?  Where was the AFL when we bottomed out for 20+ years.  No way.  They refused to rebuild three years ago and are paying for it now, just like the Whorethorn tankers.

Eagles have a lot of very over rated, underperforming senior players that need to take a damn hard look at themselves

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #46
That would have been a "danger game" for us a couple of seasons ago but we managed to get our first 100+ points winning margin since 2011.

All part of developing the culture  :)
A mate of mine went across for the game, he is always banging on about how we don't put teams away, put the foot on their throat so to speak. He said to me he was expecting nothing less than a 100 point win, he'll be a satisfied man today.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47
We have form over the last 10-15 years for both getting ahead of ourselves and for being downhill skiers. I for one would be wanting to see a larger body of work before I declare last night's game to be some kind of watershed moment.

Reply #48
We have form over the last 10-15 years for both getting ahead of ourselves and for being downhill skiers. I for one would be wanting to see a larger body of work before I declare last night's game to be some kind of watershed moment.

Surely it is, because it happened… but I agree it needs to become part of our dna going forward
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #49

The same applies in reverse though.
Folks lost the plot a bit after the St Kilda game.

Reply #50
Last 100+ point win was rnd 15 2011 v Rich (103pts), prior to that was 2 2011 v GC (119). Prior to those, it was rnd 10 2001 WC (119). So it seems its one 100+ win for us every 10-12 years.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #51
Sorry EB, the weegles can rot for all I care.  Draft concessions?  Where was the AFL when we bottomed out for 20+ years.  No way.  They refused to rebuild three years ago and are paying for it now, just like the Whorethorn tankers.

Eagles have a lot of very over rated, underperforming senior players that need to take a damn hard look at themselves

Fair enough Prof, I just like to see a competitive comp and victories that have a bit of substance and can validate some improvement. We might as well have been playing Claremont or Subiaco last night and while it's always nice to have a big win it felt a bit hollow playing such a poor struggling team.

Reply #52
Just watched the second half:

1. Yea finally foot on throat and kept at it. Sure opposition fell away but we kept piling on the goals

2. Player camaraderie seems very good ✅

Reply #53
The same applies in reverse though.
Folks lost the plot a bit after the St Kilda game.

Which folks ? Not this folks.  :)

If you want to be the best, you need to both measure yourself against the best, and you need to beat the best. By all means, bank the 4 points and enjoy the percentage boost, but any talk of turning a corner is very premature IMO.

Reply #54

That's true Paul, but it was still a milestone game that has been 12 years in the making.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #55
That's true Paul, but it was still a milestone game that has been 12 years in the making.

I'm not a big fan of cliches, but I'm very much in the "one swallow doesn't make a summer" camp. The results over the next few weeks will be the real test IMO.

Reply #56
Haven't seen the game and not likely to as I don't do Foxtel. However it appears that this result affirms what I have been saying for a while. Carlton picks and chooses when it wants to play and how much of the game they play out. This week they chose to play, chose to play out the game and chose not to use an interstate game as a "bus man's holiday", and they won by 108 points. Given the relative strengths of the two sides, we have a lot of injuries, they have a few more, we have a squad that should be playing deep into the finals, they have a squad that is old and needs a rebuild that has barely begun. The result is a very good result. Ten to fifteen goal win should have been the range. Playing interstate to meant to me that a ten goals plus would be a good result with fifteen at the top end. Eighteen goals is an excellent result and better than Melbourne's fifteen demolition of North at the MCG. Turning up to play and playing out games needs to become embedded into the team's culture.
I have been telling my friends for a while that Charlie is better now than what Kouta was at the same age. I have also said that this is the time when Kouta went stratospheric. It would be really good as a Carlton supporter if Charlie went stratospheric as well.We have a really good team and squad which is why the performances over the past two weeks and for most of this season have been disappointing. Hopefully this is the start of something big.

Reply #57
Hope this is the Geelong-like line in the sand game from 2007. They were 2-3, lost to ordinary sides and decided after that round 5 defeat that enough was enough and time to live up to their talent. Beat a p1ss weak Richmon by 150pts the next week, lost one more game for the year, won the flag by 119pts and not looked back since.

Time will tell if it is ours of course but I liked the attitude change and foot on the throat for 4 qtrs. Hasn't happened for so long. Normally it's get to a 50pt lead quickly then win by 35 or 40.

Reply #58
Haven't seen the game and not likely to as I don't do Foxtel.

The replay is up on the AFL website BM.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #59
I'm hearing you EB, it isn't great for the competition but clubs like WCE, Port and Whorethorn were utterly ruthless in flogging us when we were at our lowest ebb and serving it back is more than justified IMO.  Hubris has a big role in where WCE are right now.  They're reaping what they sowed.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?