Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Season 8 - 2023 (Read 5898 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW Season 8 - 2023

The AFL has announced that the 2023 AFLW season will kick off during the AFL bye week in September.  However, the duration of the season is still being negotiated as part of the CBA.

I really don't think that the AFL has a firm vision for the AFLW.  Uncertainty about the season's structure and duration won't and credibility to the competition.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: AFLW Season 8 - 2023

Reply #1
The AFL has announced that the 2023 AFLW season will kick off during the AFL bye week in September.  However, the duration of the season is still being negotiated as part of the CBA.

I really don't think that the AFL has a firm vision for the AFLW.  Uncertainty about the season's structure and duration won't and credibility to the competition.
Yep, its a joke.

How the hell can you run a professional organisation where you go 5 months into the new year before you narrow down a start date, and do not give the length of the season. These players have a life outside of football. Some would be planning holidays, starting a family, or getting married, but have to put all that on hold while the AFL pull their finger out.

Reply #2
Yep, its a joke.

How the hell can you run a professional organisation where you go 5 months into the new year before you narrow down a start date, and do not give the length of the season. These players have a life outside of football. Some would be planning holidays, starting a family, or getting married, but have to put all that on hold while the AFL pull their finger out.
AFL does AFLW because it wants to have the profile, while having a bet each way on the cash cow!

Tactically, I think the AFL made a mistake allowing the AFLW to be dominated by LGBTIQA+-ø°²xxxxxxx issues, the NRL has done a much better job partly this is due to the strong association with Islander and Maori interest, but it's also less dominated by minority sectors. I suspect NRLW is about to surpass AFLW in the northern states for this reason despite the NRL being late to the game and somewhat disingenuous early.

The AFL has weakly slipped into allowing AFLW become associated with a minority, anyone who has a daughter, grandchild or niece competing at lower levels will understand what I'm referring to, the majority is basically non-sequitur.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
A few AFLW rule changes announced today, most are trivial, although two caught my eye as potentially testing the ground for AFL.

The first was an increase to train on players, I can see the AFL will think this as a way to level the playing field and make the progress up and down the ladder more dynamic. Players will want to go to club's where real opportunities exist, not just hang around champion teams hoping an injury delivers an opportunity.

The second was umpires coming in off the boundary for throw ins inside the arcs. I suspect the AFL is testing this as there is a focus to recruit more boundary umpires, in particular female boundary umpires. But the current throw in guidelines are making female boundary umpires for AFL almost an impossibility. The players are told to setup and expect a throw in distance most girls cannot achieve. To solve this you bring the boundary umpires in and have them practise throwing a shorter distance. Keen observers will know certain teams are already practising / training on grounds that have a faint inner boundary line, I'd suggest the AFLW change is the next step in the process of rule verification.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
A few AFLW rule changes announced today, most are trivial, although two caught my eye as potentially testing the ground for AFL.

The first was an increase to train on players, I can see the AFL will think this as a way to level the playing field and make the progress up and down the ladder more dynamic. Players will want to go to club's where real opportunities exist, not just hang around champion teams hoping an injury delivers an opportunity.

The second was umpires coming in off the boundary for throw ins inside the arcs. I suspect the AFL is testing this as there is a focus to recruit more boundary umpires, in particular female boundary umpires. But the current throw in guidelines are making female boundary umpires for AFL almost an impossibility. The players are told to setup and expect a throw in distance most girls cannot achieve. To solve this you bring the boundary umpires in and have them practise throwing a shorter distance. Keen observers will know certain teams are already practising / training on grounds that have a faint inner boundary line, I'd suggest the AFLW change is the next step in the process of rule verification.

The rule has changed so that throw ins inside the arcs will now be from the boundary line rather than from 10m inside the line as in previous seasons.  Throw ins from between the arcs will still be from 10m inside the line.

Tossing the ball further inside the arcs was intended to reduce congestion and avoid secondary stoppages.  I'm not sure what the benefit of this change is meant to be but defenders will probably be happy.

Actually, I noticed a female boundary umpire in one of our VFL games who was hurling the ball a decent distance and at least as far as the blokes.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
The rule has changed so that throw ins inside the arcs will now be from the boundary line rather than from 10m inside the line as in previous seasons.  Throw ins from between the arcs will still be from 10m inside the line.

Tossing the ball further inside the arcs was intended to reduce congestion and avoid secondary stoppages.  I'm not sure what the benefit of this change is meant to be but defenders will probably be happy.

Actually, I noticed a female boundary umpire in one of our VFL games who was hurling the ball a decent distance and at least as far as the blokes.

Correct.

Also the reason for coming inside the boundary line was because there is only 16 on the ground, and they have the lasso rule aka last touched = turnover.

Makes sense for that not to be inside the arcs.

As for the train on players....simple numbers game. 21 playing each week, only 30 on the list. You will have 4-5 players unavailable most weeks....doesn't leave much left.

Reply #6
Bad luck for Maddy Gueren.

Reply #8
Maddy G was a someone taking the next step in the wake of mass exodus of midfielders over the past couple years.
Bang. 2 seasons gone.

Reply #9
Maddy G was a someone taking the next step in the wake of mass exodus of midfielders over the past couple years.
Bang. 2 seasons gone.
:( :( :(  It will be interesting to see if she an come back after this. Very disappointing for a player who was headed in the right direction.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #10
Watching the AFLW practice match against Sydney on the live stream, again worrying signs. Last week the reigning premiers pantsed us, this week it is a team that struggled last year well on top of us. Haven't been able to get the score on the board, blown a couple of good chances, but still in general play being beaten to my eye. Could be a long season.

Reply #11
Outs > Ins for a few years running now.
Can't see a reason for our competitiveness to change with that trend.

Reply #12
Much improved 3rd quarter and finally got results on the scoreboard, thanks largely to Moody who kicked our first 2 goals.  8 points down at 3QT but with the momentum.

Reply #13
SYD 2.3 4.5 4.7 5.8 (38)

CARL 0.3 0.4 3.5 4.5 (29)

Goals: Moody 2, Austin, Hill

Bests: Moody, Austin, Skepper, Vickers, Cordner

Sydney didn't win a game last year. This bodes poorly. Then again, we aren't close to our best team on the park.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
SYD 2.3 4.5 4.7 5.8 (38)

CARL 0.3 0.4 3.5 4.5 (29)

Goals: Moody 2, Austin, Hill

Bests: Moody, Austin, Skepper, Vickers, Cordner

Sydney didn't win a game last year. This bodes poorly. Then again, we aren't close to our best team on the park.

Can't find a team lineup and didn't see any of the match, so not sure who we had missing from our list.

.....but i could probably pick a team of players from the AFLW who were previously on our list but are now elsewhere.......and they'd win!