Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 3507 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 8 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

It was nice to have a big win, especially as we travelled, but this is another thing altogether. Seriously, Brisbane have the best list in the business. Can we upset them at Marvel? If we do, we can say that we're a contender. If not, we're just a decent team.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 8 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #1
Kemp and Cincotta showed enough to hold their places but Honey doesn't do enough - should probably make way when Motlop or Owies are available.

Fisher is a tease who got a lot more of it against the limited opposition provided by the Wet Toast but he was too wasteful and is just as likely to turn it over than hit a teammate by foot (if not more so).  IF he has decent kicking skills at training, I can only surmise that he kicks without pressure at training because he never seems balanced when kicking in a match, especially when trying to snap a goal.  Maybe he would be more useful as a substitute when the intensity has gone out of the game.

Playing Docherty in the midfield has bumped Kennedy out of the midfield rotation but I think he has more to offer than Fisher.

Reply #2
I'm worried our small forwards inability to hit the scoreboard and general score assist game even tackle count is a little too low. Brisbane defence is really strong and if Charlie and H are tied down I just don't think they are good enough to pick up the slack. Hopefully Owies is back for this one and I'll put Cottrell straight in.

Reply #3
I don't think Cottrell will ever get thirty or three votes but he gut runs, competes maniacally and does the basics well.  He's in my 22.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #4
Kemp and Cincotta showed enough to hold their places but Honey doesn't do enough - should probably make way when Motlop or Owies are available.

Fisher is a tease who got a lot more of it against the limited opposition provided by the Wet Toast but he was too wasteful and is just as likely to turn it over than hit a teammate by foot (if not more so).  IF he has decent kicking skills at training, I can only surmise that he kicks without pressure at training because he never seems balanced when kicking in a match, especially when trying to snap a goal.  Maybe he would be more useful as a substitute when the intensity has gone out of the game.

Playing Docherty in the midfield has bumped Kennedy out of the midfield rotation but I think he has more to offer than Fisher.

Kennedy goes forward,  he can kick goals.
How far off is Cunningham? Maybe a swap for Fisher, they play a similar game style.
I really liked Kemp's game. The confidence of taking a number of solid pack marks in the backline instead of punching shows a good mindset.
Cincotta is a find. In only his second game he looks like he belongs. No backward steps and with a very unCarlton like haircut.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #5
Fisher has now, unfortunately, become a list clogger
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #6
Fisher has now, unfortunately, become a list clogger
I thought Fisher was probably the best of our smalls last night, getting him and Durdin further up the field left much more space in F50 for the marking targets to find space.

I thought McKay was very good, ran good patterns, opened up plenty of space that let Charlie make some use of it. And Durdin and Fisher staying out of the way let them make use of it, Motlop take note!

Zorko out is big loss for Brisbane, if Rich is also an out, that is two who normally dine out on us who won't be there!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
I thought Fisher was probably the best of our smalls last night, getting him and Durdin further up the field left much more space in F50 for the marking targets to find space.

I thought McKay was very good, ran good patterns, opened up plenty of space that let Charlie make some use of it. And Durdin and Fisher staying out of the way let them make use of it, Motlop take note!

Zorko out is big loss for Brisbane, if Rich is also an out, that is two who normally dine out on us who won't be there!

Sorry, Spotted One, can't agree on Fisher. Too often his tackles are broken and when he does get the aggott, he's like a deer in headlights - so indecisive, and while he's making up his mind the opposition is strengthening the defensive aspects of their game. Then there's his eventual disposal by foot, which is a cr@p shoot.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #8
Zorko isnt what he was and won't effect them if he is missing. They have a big midfield and some strong bodies and Lachie Neale dines out on us. If it was in Brisbane we would probably lose but Marvel improves our chances.
Like to see Rich not playing to help us out because we usually just let him run around unchecked.
Cripps won't have it easy with Dunkley and Berry on his case but it's a chance to for others to lead the way.
Blues by 11 points with Walsh BOG in a real slog...if it was in Brisbane I would reverse the outcome.

Reply #9
Does Motlop come straight back in....if so, likely replaces Honey?

I would've normally said Ed would go out for Kennedy but they might have a specific task lined up for him this Friday night?

With TDK to miss, is this the week where Mirkov gets a gig? If Lions use Hipwood/Daniher as backup ruck, JSOS won't stand a chance and it takes him away from his forward role. I can only go on what I read in terms of VFL but if nothing else, Mirkov would provide some opposition at the centre bounce and throw ins etc.....but likely doesn't do enough around the ground at the moment?

Agree on Kemp and Cincotta....keep them in there as it also allows Doc to rotate through the middle. Cincotta might get the match up on McCarthy this week.

Reply #10
With TDK to miss, is this the week where Mirkov gets a gig? If Lions use Hipwood/Daniher as backup ruck, JSOS won't stand a chance and it takes him away from his forward role.
No, if we use Pitto D50 side and keep Young as a backup, with BigH doing some F50 work, we do not need Mirkov.

I think we lose too much run and gain very little if we bring Mirkov in.

I suspect Fogarty or Cottrell should be in this week, with Durdin and Fisher in the small forward rotation and Honey the out. Fisher did more than enough to retain his spot and Durdin was much better, Honey had a small good patch but to me it wasn't enough. This assumes Owies isn't yet good to go.

Rucking Pitto, Young and BigH/Cripps leaves SoJ in a much better place, he had plenty of run to go on with for 4-Qtrs.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
Drop Ed Curnow only when Cotters is back.  His 2 way running is huge and leadership underestimated.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Drop Ed Curnow only when Cotters is back.  His 2 way running is huge and leadership underestimated.
Ed to Neale all night.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #13
Ed was OK last game though, he has very good vision even if the execution struggles sometimes, I thought he's worked so far this season when he is forward of centre.

Doubt there will be many changes this week.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
Ed to Neale all night.
OMG if only! Unfortunately, given how he's being utilised at the moment I can't see it happening. Still they might show some sort of initiative?