Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 3526 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 8 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #15
Ed to Neale all night.
Reckon they will use Hewett  who was ok on Kelly from WC.
Neale is one of those players who is hard to tag and we may need a tag team to rotate off him.
Think Cripps might need some help too with Dunkley and Berry all over him.
Don't want to see anything silly like Hollands on McCluggage either, both play the wing but the Brisbane player is more of a genuine mid and a key driver and needs a more negative type who can keep close. I think Cottrell would suit as a tagger and I'd use Hollands off the bench or rest him...

Reply #16
Reckon they will use Hewett  who was ok on Kelly from WC.
Neale is one of those players who is hard to tag and we may need a tag team to rotate off him.
Think Cripps might need some help too with Dunkley and Berry all over him.
Don't want to see anything silly like Hollands on McCluggage either, both play the wing but the Brisbane player is more of a genuine mid and a key driver and needs a more negative type who can keep close. I think Cottrell would suit as a tagger and I'd use Hollands off the bench or rest him...
Neale has a massive engine hence why I think Ed.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
I tend to agree, although McCluggage is possible the biggest Jekyll and Hyde type in the AFL, collects as much hard ball as anybody but misses far more pudding shots than most!

If McCluggage is getting the footy, you want it to be in set shot territory, not further up the field and feeding Hipwood or Daniher, although Daniher can be equally as bad.

I think Zorko and Rich hurt them, they might not get a great lot of footy but when they find space they deliver it pretty well.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Neale has a massive engine hence why I think Ed.
I think George offers us more on the ball rather than being purely negative. Ed has lost a bit of edge imho and is a lot less effective with the ball, still runs and tags ok but I don't want him delivering the ball as much and taking midfield time off more talented players. I like Ed but I see him as the 2nd tagger now behind George and would have sent him to Zorko if he was playing..

Reply #19
I think George offers us more on the ball rather than being purely negative. Ed has lost a bit of edge imho and is a lot less effective with the ball, still runs and tags ok but I don't want him delivering the ball as much and taking midfield time off more talented players. I like Ed but I see him as the 2nd tagger now behind George and would have sent him to Zorko if he was playing..
Ed has a knack of shutting down players and getting his own ball when that's a requirement. George doesn't have the motor to go with Neale.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #20
Ed has a knack of shutting down players and getting his own ball when that's a requirement. George doesn't have the motor to go with Neale.

It depends on whether you want a run with player or a shut down player.  Hewett can hurt his opponent by getting his own ball but Ed can completely nullify good players at the cost of not getting the pill himself.

I’d start with Cerra on Neale with Hewett and Ed as plans B and C.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
Is the current Ed Curnow still the same player that Joel Selwood said was his toughest ever opponent ? If so, he has to be in the mix IMO.

Reply #22
Is the current Ed Curnow still the same player that Joel Selwood said was his toughest ever opponent ? If so, he has to be in the mix IMO.
If you were to ask Voss that question I'd hazard a guess and say the answer would be yes.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #23
It depends on whether you want a run with player or a shut down player.  Hewett can hurt his opponent by getting his own ball but Ed can completely nullify good players at the cost of not getting the pill himself.

I’d start with Cerra on Neale with Hewett and Ed as plans B and C.
The other one that came to mind and definitely left field is Newman. Has had some big scalps this year and is in good form.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #24
The other one that came to mind and definitely left field is Newman. Has had some big scalps this year and is in good form.

Newy might have his hands full with Cameron.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
One of the biggest games I can remember even bigger than the last two from last season.

Its a very big game due to the fact we have a full crop to select from bar one or two players whereas late last season midfield was depleted with Walsh, George and Chugga missing.

Its the one and only opportunity for the lads to ingrain an identity in the AFL world. Not so much a big game for the club but the coaches and players as a team. It's one hell of an opportunity to make a statement and a loss here will tarnish them as a team in a big way imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yhyp-_hX2s&ab_channel=msvogue23

Reply #27
One of the biggest games I can remember even bigger than the last two from last season.

Its a very big game due to the fact we have a full crop to select from bar one or two players whereas late last season midfield was depleted with Walsh, George and Chugga missing.

Its the one and only opportunity for the lads to ingrain an identity in the AFL world. Not so much a big game for the club but the coaches and players as a team. It's one hell of an opportunity to make a statement and a loss here will tarnish them as a team in a big way imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yhyp-_hX2s&ab_channel=msvogue23

Agree. A win will put our season on track while a loss even a narrow one will have everyone doubting again.

Massive week  

Reply #28
Thought Saad would get Cameron.....

I hope not EB. We need Saads run and attacking play and can't afford to have him locked on a dangerous forward who has to be a full lock down or Cameron will have a field day. Newman has done some good defensive roles this season reckon he will get first crack. And he has just a little but of mongrel about him, hes not a tough player but hes in their face and reckon that sort of player would be a better option then Saad who is just too nice a bloke to say or do anything cheeky

Reply #29
I hope not EB. We need Saads run and attacking play and can't afford to have him locked on a dangerous forward who has to be a full lock down or Cameron will have a field day. Newman has done some good defensive roles this season reckon he will get first crack. And he has just a little but of mongrel about him, hes not a tough player but hes in their face and reckon that sort of player would be a better option then Saad who is just too nice a bloke to say or do anything cheeky
Cameron is express, can't see Newman keeping up with him.