Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 3547 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 8 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #45
I'd have Young on Hipwood....didn't think Young was that great vs Stkilda and I view Daniher as more of a threat and would want my best tall defender on him which is Weitering.

Reply #46
I'd have Young on Hipwood....didn't think Young was that great vs Stkilda and I view Daniher as more of a threat and would want my best tall defender on him which is Weitering.

Tend to agree. Weiters would be better equiped physically to deal with Joe. Hipwood strikes me as a less physical player who Young would match up better with.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #47
My thinking was Hipwood isn't as physically strong as Joe, Young tends to struggle with the stronger fwds, Weiters handles the gorillas better.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48
Starcevich is Brisbane’s best lockdown small defender. Do we have anyone who’s worth locking down or does Fagan give him a week’s holiday to freshen up?

Reply #49
With Rayner I'd be inclined to match him up with Saad or Doc, because I think he's still just an average runner and they can run off him and hurt the Lions further up the field. I realise body on body Rayner is a significant challenge for them.

Given we have Weiters and Young, is McGovern an option for Rayner, McGovern is probably an equal in terms of mobility and would have Rayner covered overhead or one on one?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Starcevich is Brisbane’s best lockdown small defender. Do we have anyone who’s worth locking down or does Fagan give him a week’s holiday to freshen up?
Starcevich is a decent size at 187cm and 92 kg, I could see him tagging Acres this week, he is also a decent kick so further up the ground he could be damaging.

Reply #51
Wilmott has 1 wing though and they have Berry/McCluggage cycling through the other. That’s simplifying it a bit, though, as they also put Rayner, Bailey and Dunkley through there too.

Reply #52
Wilmott has 1 wing though and they have Berry/McCluggage cycling through the other. That’s simplifying it a bit, though, as they also put Rayner, Bailey and Dunkley through there too.
Id expect Berry to spend a little bit of time in the middle on Cripps along with Dunkley, he is a big unit and Fagan likes giving giving him some of the tough jobs so he could be a candidate for Acres too. His best mate McCluggage will start on the wing but plays really as a midfielder and will need a minder, Cottrell would be my choice if fit enough. Wilmott was a rebounding half back at U18 level so it will be interesting where he lines up.....maybe Hollands or one of our smaller forwards.

Reply #53
Fisher Omitted (finally)
Motlop in
Kennedy Sub
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #54
Fisher got one hell of a free ride in this team. He should thank his lucky stars.

Reply #55
Fisher Omitted (finally)
Motlop in
The sub should be Kennedy, but what's the bet it's Fisher.

Honey's last chance before a match fit Cottrell takes his place?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #57
And Honey survives again. Cannot work it out. He must be doing something right.

Must be doing all the right things at training and coaches want to have a good look.

Reply #58
The sub should be Kennedy, but what's the bet it's Fisher.

Honey's last chance before a match fit Cottrell takes his place?
Kennedy the Sub confirmed
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #59
With Rayner I'd be inclined to match him up with Saad or Doc, because I think he's still just an average runner and they can run off him and hurt the Lions further up the field. I realise body on body Rayner is a significant challenge for them.

Given we have Weiters and Young, is McGovern an option for Rayner, McGovern is probably an equal in terms of mobility and would have Rayner covered overhead or one on one?
McGovern will have to take Gunston imho.....he will be too tall for any of the remaining defenders given Weitering and Young will be occupied. Probably leaves Newman with Rayner if he starts on the field with their other tall forwards. Unless they get brave and start Kemp on Gunston....