Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 3549 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 8 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #30
Cameron is express, can't see Newman keeping up with him.

It the lesser of two evils. Its at Marvel so not as much space for Charlie to work it hopefully.

If we pressure them through midfield he wont be as much of a threat.

Would have been nice to have Stocker back this week......  

Reply #31
I'd be inclined to give the role to Cowan.
Just tell him to stop Cameron getting a kick and not to worry about his own tally.
Would be a great learning experience.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #32
Cameron will run circles around Cowan potentially confidence crusher that can stifle his development. Nt a fan of throwing youngsters in the deepend at young age unless they are an elite talent. Got Harrys development spot on by keeping him in the two's and Kemp is a better player honing his skills and developing. Dow and LOB have been destroyed and potentially Fisher.
Young was playing VFL for few years until he become a regular at 22-23 which is the right age. Kempy at 21 shining is a sign of a very good talent. No to resting Hollands for mine though - he is that good for a first year player.

Reply #33
Cameron will run circles around Cowan potentially confidence crusher that can stifle his development. 
Surely Cincotta gets Cameron?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
Quote from: shawny link=msg=388538 date=1682932244 Would have been nice to have Stocker back this week......   [/quote
>

What does Stocker offer that Cincotta doesn't? Even after 2 games I have confidence in Cincotta more so than I had in Stocker. Cleaner with the ball, knows when to take a player on and when not to.... ... and he doesn't kick the ball through the opposition 's goals!!!

Stocker is Ancient History!

Reply #35
Surely Cincotta gets Cameron?

Nice start to his career for Cincotta but Cameron is a major step up from the WAFL rubbish that was served up last week.
Reckon we do Cincotta a favour and play him on someone more suitable....

Reply #36
I'd have Cincotta pencilled in for McCarthy....another very dangerous "small" forward who's very good overhead for his size. Newman got the job done on Greene earlier in the year so probably gets first shot at Cameron.

Zorko and Rich out for them is a little bonus. Rich gives them a tonne of drive out of the back half and Zorko has torched us a few times in the past.

Reply #37
Nice start to his career for Cincotta but Cameron is a major step up from the WAFL rubbish that was served up last week.
Reckon we do Cincotta a favour and play him on someone more suitable....
Cincotta is not a kid though, he's been in and around the system for a long time and would have played on the odd star passing through.

In terms of a match up the cupboard is bare, is for most clubs, so we at least need somebody who can run with Cameron and the best team strategy will be to keep the pill as far away from him as possible.

Maybe let Motlop tag Cameron for a quarter, send him out there with a note book and instructions to watch carefully.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
They have a fair amount of fire power so the defenders will have a battle on their hands and the mids must not have repeat of the Adelaide game.
My match ups would be:
Cameron = Saad
McCarthy = Cincotta
Daniher = Weitering
Hipwood =Young
Gunston = Gov/Kemp
Bailey* = Newman
Rayner = Docherty

*IMO opinion after Cameron the most dangerous small forward often hard to contain for 4 qtrs.
Lachie Neale   Adam Cerra
Josh Dunkley   Patrick Cripps
Will Ashcroft   Sam Walsh
Hugh McCluggage   George Hewett
Dayne Zorko ?    Edward Curnow/Mathew Cottrell

Jarrod Berry   Blake Acres
Darcy Wilmot   Oliver Hollands

Jack Payne   Charlie Curnow
Harris Andrews   Harry McKay
Keidean Coleman   Brodie Kemp
Ryan Lester   Jack Silvagni
Brandon Starcevich   Corey Durdin
Daniel Rich   Josh Honey/Motlop
Conor McKenna   Zac Fisher

Joe Daniher   Jacob Weitering
Eric Hipwood   Lewis Young
Charlie Cameron   Adam Saad
Cameron Rayner   Sam Docherty
Lincoln McCarthy   Alex Cincotta
Jack Gunston   Mitch McGovern
Zac Bailey   Nic Newman

Oscar McInerney   Marc Pittonet

Noah Answerth ?   Matthw Kennedy?
Kemp might need to play fwd if there is no match up.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #39
Need to defend as a team ,flood Fitzroy forward line as Coll,saints,Melb DO. I think we can’t back our defenders to beat lions fwds  need a TEAM effort.

Reply #40
Bailey will be a problem as he is another express paced mid/forward who likes playing us and kicked four last time.
Not the type of player you can wander off from and kick chase against like you can maybe vs McCarthy who tends to take marks but doesnt impact as much on the ground or bother chasing as intently.
Rayner is another who Cincotta may be able to play against as they are around the same size and the Brisbane player is that physical type who likes to play in bursts rather than give you 4 quarters...dangerous player when on but Id prefer we focus on Cameron and Bailey more.
Daniher and Hipwood dont do much for me at all as footballers and I reckon Weitering and Young can look after them without too many problems.
McGovern will probably get Gunston and that will be a key event in the game IMO, Id probably give Gunston 2 goals and call that a win as he is the type of player who if he gets half a dozen shots at goal will probably kick 4-5 .
Pittonet only has to break even vs the Big O and thats a win too imho.
McCluggage will start on the wing imho....be Cottrell in this week for me and Hollands managed.....dont want Hollands on McBaggage, reckon Cottrell can do the job better.
Id expect Acres to be tagged this week on the other wing too...

Reply #41
We definitely need to bring our best for this one. I'm full of anticipation but apprehensive at the same time.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #42
Daniher is their 2nd ruck, albeit the big O rarely needs a chop out. Do we play Young on Daniher when forward and have Young follow him into the ruck as well? The only downside is that the Lions might exploit this by resting the big O in the goal square and he’d have a 10 cm height advantage over Weets, Gov or Kemp. Oscar isn’t great as a forward but he can take a mark when he has that sort of advantage. The other option is to use JSOS as the 2nd ruck.

Reply #43
Daniher is their 2nd ruck, albeit the big O rarely needs a chop out. Do we play Young on Daniher when forward and have Young follow him into the ruck as well? The only downside is that the Lions might exploit this by resting the big O in the goal square and he’d have a 10 cm height advantage over Weets, Gov or Kemp. Oscar isn’t great as a forward but he can take a mark when he has that sort of advantage. The other option is to use JSOS as the 2nd ruck.
JSOS in the ruck is a no for me. He Young to follow Daniher if he rucks, I would have thought he is a better match up to Hipwood when in defence.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #44
Daniher tends to run around like a blue-arsed fly while Hipwood seems to stick to F50 (which is more to Weets’ taste).  Young is exactly Daniher’s height and is slightly heavier: a match made in heaven. It also makes it simpler for Young to follow him wherever he goes.