Skip to main content
Topic: The Month Ahead - MAYhem or MAYday ?? (Read 2019 times) previous topic - next topic

The Month Ahead - MAYhem or MAYday ??

So far in season 2023, the fluctuating form of the Blues has not been one to excite anyone.

The first four weeks yielded three wins and a draw but truth be told, they weren't with any authority or system. A horrible loss to the Crows in RD 5 jolted everyone back to reality, it was just so bad on all levels. The week after, in what was another poor game, the margin in the Saints loss flattered us. Last week's total annihilation of the Eagles, we were on a hiding to nothing there really, we were expected to win and win well, thankfully we did but it wasn't without some genuine errors and breakdowns in cohesion.  

The month of May has us lining up to face four very serious opponents :

RD 7 - Brisbane (Docklands)
RD 8 - Dogs (Docklands)
RD 9 - Pies (MCG)
RD 10 - Swans (SCG)

There is no doubt in my mind that these four weeks will determine our fortunes this year, in fact I'll go as far to say this month IS our season. Keep serving up the same crap we have and it will get really embarrasing !!

Win 0 - Lose 4 : its season over right there
Win 1 - Lose 3 : its close enough to the end
Win 2 - Lose 2 : the door is still open, slightly
Win 3 - Lose 1 : we are well in the hunt and for good reason
Win 4 - Lose 0 : we are a serious contender again

So, in the month of May, will we create total mayhem across the league or will we be sending out the mayday signal ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: The Month Ahead - MAYhem or MAYday ??

Reply #1
I'd  be happy with a 2-2 split.
With 23 games It's probably going to take at least 14 wins to make finals.
So it might be touch and go at the end.

Reply #2
If we are 6-4-1 after round 11 (ie 2-2 in the next 4), that's not too shabby.  With an improving injury list, we may be able to launch something.

Having said that, if we can't beat at least 3 of the next 4 opponents, we simply aren't good enough to be in the mix at the end of the year.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #3
Agree Tonyo....we've beaten GWS, North, West Coast and Geelong when they were still in first gear coming off the back of the flag. And the draw with Richmond. Lose 3 or 4 of the next month and we'd only be making up the numbers if we sneak into the 8 on the back of a good run home against teams in the bottom half.

Brisbane haven't travelled too well in recent times so this is the week to get some real credibility on the board. The injury list is getting smaller and I'd suggest only Owies and maybe Martin and Cottrell are the "outs" who would be in our best 22....excluding Williams of course who's gone for the season.

Reply #4
Win 0 - Lose 4 : its season over right there
Win 1 - Lose 3 : its close enough to the end
Win 2 - Lose 2 : the door is still open, slightly
Win 3 - Lose 1 : we are well in the hunt and for good reason
Win 4 - Lose 0 : we are a serious contender again

Its far from season over and it doesn't make us serious contenders.

It makes us either lucky or unlucky.
It makes us learn a few hard truths (which may work in our favour)
or
It may make us get ahead of ourselves (again) and think its all easy from here.

Forget about win/loss records over that period and work on our consistency and put in a 4-quarter performance. If we do that each of those weeks, then we are a contender.

Reply #5
A couple of wins in the next 4 weeks will give the boys and us some genuine self belief that we can not only match it with the better teams, but that we can match it with them more regularly. That has to be the next step. Beating up on the West Coasts of this world, even if we win by 1000 points, counts for nought if we can't take that next step.

Reply #6
I would not be at all surprised to lose all 4.

I would be shocked to win all 4.

I’m hopeful of winning 2-3 of the next 4 and would be very happy with that result.

But my gut tells me there is some system issue with how we play, it is not cohesive, it is not clean, it does not hold up well to pressure.

Reply #7
I would not be at all surprised to lose all 4.

I would be shocked to win all 4.

I’m hopeful of winning 2-3 of the next 4 and would be very happy with that result.

But my gut tells me there is some system issue with how we play, it is not cohesive, it is not clean, it does not hold up well to pressure.
If we pick the right side every week, play properly to our strengths (play our way) and execute well, we can win all 4 no question ifs or buts about it. We cannot afford passengers, we cannot rely on a few stars to carry all the load, its 23 blokes all in pulling their weight for 120 mins. Anything less we lose.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #8
If we pick the right side every week, play properly to our strengths (play our way) and execute well, we can win all 4 no question ifs or buts about it. We cannot afford passengers, we cannot rely on a few stars to carry all the load, its 23 blokes all in pulling their weight for 120 mins. Anything less we lose.

Absolutely!

If we have our best team on the park and they’re in the right frame of mind, we can account for any team in the competition.  If we’re not switched on, we will lose, regardless of who the opposition is.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
Ive tipped Brisbane tomorrow night.  They have shown form that makes me think they could win the flag this season.

We have not at this stage, but we have been in most of our matches (bar Adelaide) with a shout to win it.

These days we are a fairly easy side to read, but the manner in which we made mistakes even in our West Coast demolition means that I can't necessarily think we are going to beat everyone we play against.  If the Lions are on, they have the quality to beat us even if we bring the heat.  If we are on, we might win but not if the Lions play their best footy (which they tend to against us).  Ergo, I think they are more likely to win.  That's the summary of our season thus far, and it can turn and turn quickly but the question is if it will.

To date, there is a rather uncontrolled manner in our play that doesn't fill me with confidence.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #10
Next 2 games after that are against Melbourne and Essendon. So the next 6 games are a Test. I'd like 4 from 6.

6 from 6 would be great but then i'd worry about being peaked too early too.

Reply #11
Surely Brisbane are favorites.  While like others I like to think we are a chance, what gives me hope is that sometimes a big win helps give confidence in the system and it is often confidence that is the difference.  (as long as it isn't false confidence!)

Reply #12
Like to think we are favourites at home.
This is a must win imho....

Reply #13
Next 2 games after that are against Melbourne and Essendon. So the next 6 games are a Test. I'd like 4 from 6.

6 from 6 would be great but then i'd worry about being peaked too early too.
Brisbane can be very poor away from home so we MUST capitalise on that. I heard the odds on radio the other day and with were very close. Its Docs 150th and MUST absolutely cap off his night the right way.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time