Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 5027 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 8 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #30
Didn’t think Brisbane were that great we just kept giving the ball to them with the worst display of disposals I’ve seen from us for a while. From the opening minutes you could tell we were off and were flattered by the first quarter scores. I think part of the problem is our best last year and occasionally this year is good enough but very fragile. To many passengers  to be a contender. If Cripps Weitering or Charlie are off the boil no one lifts to cover them. I like guys such as hollands Cowan and cincotta getting a game but they can’t yet get us home when the chips are down yet but have shown they have heart. But last night off the half back line when we got possession our players looked up with no one other than Harry making position with Andrews up his freckle ready to punch it away. No small forwards attacking at the feet or giving options. Motlop was the best of them but even though he plays like he’s a bit scared to attack it at times I still think he will find his way.
Our air of fun and confidence in each other faded last night getting it back might be harder than we think

Reply #31
Come Monday morning, perhaps even Sunday morning, were I Messrs Cook and Sayers, I’d have one man and one man only sitting in front of us, B Lloyd… Head of Football. And I’d be asking, “How come?”

How come little has changed? In fact, we don’t look as good as last year, so perhaps we’ve even gone backwards.

How come we still go to water when real heat is applied, resulting in dreadful inconsistency within games?

How come we continue to make baffling decision at the selection table? Example: a fella with ordinary VFL form gets senior selection then plays 5 ordinary games in the seniors (Honey) while others in the VFL with good form are ignored?

How come we have so many out of form players?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #32
From Voss's Presser:
- Good teams give you feedback, we got some last night.
- Effort was there, its what kept us in the game.
- Execution cost us the game, costly TO's and skill errors in the def 50, against StK it was in F50.
Need to dig deeper into why the skill errors occur, to me it comes from pressure applied. Some teams handle it, we simply can't and its stopping us from achieving anything. I'd be staggered if we can improve this aspect of our game this year. Its personnel based. The sad thing is that with senior and supposed star players being the worst culprits, how the hell can that be good for the young kids. Its any wonder blokes like Dow go backwards in their development.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33
At least Cerra impressed.
I thought he and McGovern showed that they are up to scratch, Kennedy was also good when given the chance.

Still think the bigger problem for us is the MC, it fails to read the room! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
Come Monday morning, perhaps even Sunday morning, were I Messrs Cook and Sayers, I’d have one man and one man only sitting in front of us, B Lloyd… Head of Football. And I’d be asking, “How come?”

How come little has changed? In fact, we don’t look as good as last year, so perhaps we’ve even gone backwards.

How come we still go to water when real heat is applied, resulting in dreadful inconsistency within games?

How come we continue to make baffling decision at the selection table? Example: a fella with ordinary VFL form gets senior selection then plays 5 ordinary games in the seniors (Honey) while others in the VFL with good form are ignored?

How come we have so many out of form players?

one more question:
How can we be so poorly skilled under pressure that many of our 88,777 supporters at the game leave with 3 mins to go before 3/4 time?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #35
Since 2019, Brisbane has finished 2nd, 2nd, 4th and 6th, and played off in semi finals or prelims. In the same period, we have been mid table or worse. Last night was simply a reflection of that. They are hungrier, harder, cleaner, more efficient, better structures and more talent. They are definitely the real deal, and we are still a work in progress. Much like the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, we never seem to be quite finished.  :)

I was pleased with the first and last quarters - at least the boys showed some fight and brought a little respectability to the score line. The 2nd and 3rd would have no doubt been described by my mother as "big rahbeesh", were she still around.

Reply #36
What Paul said. Next week is a different story.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #37
And to those paying out on Carlton Respects, please don't. It's a worthwhile starting point for a serious issue, and had absolutely nothing to do with last night's performance. 

Reply #38
Since 2019, Brisbane has finished 2nd, 2nd, 4th and 6th, and played off in semi finals or prelims. In the same period, we have been mid table or worse. Last night was simply a reflection of that. They are hungrier, harder, cleaner, more efficient, better structures and more talent. They are definitely the real deal, and we are still a work in progress. Much like the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, we never seem to be quite finished.  :)

I was pleased with the first and last quarters - at least the boys showed some fight and brought a little respectability to the score line. The 2nd and 3rd would have no doubt been described by my mother as "big rahbeesh", were she still around.
How do they fix basic skill errors under pressure? Thats going to take years IMO. I'm not questioning our endeavour or effort, its poor kicking, handballs and decisions that cost us games.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #39
How do they fix basic skill errors under pressure? Thats going to take years IMO. I'm not questioning our endeavour or effort, its poor kicking, handballs and decisions that cost us games.

Yep I agree. And 1 quarter in every difficult game where we get blown away.

Reply #40
And to those paying out on Carlton Respects, please don't. It's a worthwhile starting point for a serious issue, and had absolutely nothing to do with last night's performance. 
Not wanting to say anything about the cause but we have lost every single one of those respects games.

Not sure why, but maybe we are too respectful on game day.

Brisbane came out wanting to hurt us last night and they did.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #41

Doing it for longer is the only way to fix it.

We've been in poor form all season.  That won't continue.  The wins have masked it.  I reckon no more than about 8 per game have held their heads up high.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42
Doing it for longer is the only way to fix it.

We've been in poor form all season.  That won't continue.  The wins have masked it.  I reckon no more than about 8 per game have held their heads up high.

Sorry mate I dont understand, what do we need to do for longer that will eradicate skill errors?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #43
Not wanting to say anything about the cause but we have lost every single one of those respects games.

Not sure why, but maybe we are too respectful on game day.

Brisbane came out wanting to hurt us last night and they did.

We lose games because we're not good enough to win. We've lost plenty of games that have nothing to with Carlton Respects.

Reply #44
We are simply not consistently good enough.  Our forward movement is far too predictable and any side with a half-decent back six can make our scoring dry up (Saints and Lions have both done it easily).

Stats show we had more than our share of the ball, but the second and third quarters we showed no dare and run.  In fact, if Brisbane had kicked straight, we would have been 10 goals down at 3/4 time.

Very disappointing, and I feel this is a portent of yet another mid-table finish.

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?