Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 5248 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #120
I’m pretty sure he wasn’t selected in the side to play the Dogs, so he’s not really germane to the preview.

Reply #121
I’m pretty sure he wasn’t selected in the side to play the Dogs, so he’s not really germane to the preview.
Who TDK? He played v the dogs, that's where he got the knock.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #122
True by the "Carlton Ruck Setup vs English" debate is germaine, given English is one of the current AFL rucks on a hot streak.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
True by the "Carlton Ruck Setup vs English" debate is germaine, given English is one of the current AFL rucks on a hot streak.

And, unlike our rucks, English causes problems when he goes forward.  Hopefully, Jack won’t be his opponent when he does go forward.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #124
kennedy our new hero ,i cant see this he just another slow mid , only plays well when the team does but against good opposition he is EXPOSED

Reply #125
kennedy our new hero ,i cant see this he just another slow mid , only plays well when the team does but against good opposition he is EXPOSED
I like Kennedy but its become more obvious we have one too many of the slow moving mids vs some teams and need another mid who has some leg speed to give us some breakaway ability at stoppages. Kennedy can play forward with success and I still think he is a valuable player who can be used to multitask a bit more. As I have said many times for a different look down forward I wouldnt mind if we ran with one tall and Kennedy as that second leading target every now and then.

Reply #126
I like Kennedy but its become more obvious we have one too many of the slow moving mids vs some teams and need another mid who has some leg speed to give us some breakaway ability at stoppages.
A couple of games this season our main problem has been the opposition HBF or HFF coming into bounces in sweeper type roles, and we are getting not much from our own HBF or HFF. Our guys on the perimeter must be prepared to sacrifice to cover for our Mids when we do not have things going our way! Some of it might be our guys not playing the footy that is in front of them, they second guess and guess wrong.

I noted it was a particular problem when Doc was moved into the Midfield and we have someone like Ed or Cowan off the HBF, or when Motlop is on the HFF sitting forward of the contest and not getting involved.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #127
A couple of games this season our main problem has been the opposition HBF or HFF coming into bounces in sweeper type roles, and we are getting not much from our own HBF or HFF. Our guys on the perimeter must be prepared to sacrifice to cover for our Mids when we do not have things going our way! Some of it might be our guys not playing the footy that is in front of them, they second guess and guess wrong.

I noted it was a particular problem when Doc was moved into the Midfield and we have someone like Ed or Cowan off the HBF, or when Motlop is on the HFF sitting forward of the contest and not getting involved.

That sweeper role usually falls to Doc ... when he's playing in defence. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #128
A couple of games this season our main problem has been the opposition HBF or HFF coming into bounces in sweeper type roles, and we are getting not much from our own HBF or HFF. Our guys on the perimeter must be prepared to sacrifice to cover for our Mids when we do not have things going our way!

Fully agree.......imo you always have to even up the numbers and those players not doing anything have to be told to follow their man so they dont have that extra on the outside to run the ball through.
Lyon likes to do it with Sinclair and or course Nick Daicos has never manned up a half forward in his life as a defender because he is always that extra onballer/sweeper drifting down from half back.

Reply #129
Lyon likes to do it with Sinclair and or course Nick Daicos has never manned up a half forward in his life as a defender because he is always that extra onballer/sweeper drifting down from half back.
I'm hope we see a bit of a change with Cottrell and Owies coming in this week, we at least know those two will have a crack at whatever is in front of them.

PS; I use to fear the repercussions of dropping Ed, the long term future of Charlie if Ed was dropped or delisted, but not anymore. After listening to Ed talk about the type of as5@h@l#s that it seems some of Charlies alleged suitors are, we've nothing to fear at all! These opponents that want to poach our players have painted us as sh1t, some of them quite actively doing so through unsolicited comment, but it seems compared to them as a club we've come up smelling like roses despite the coverage in the media!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #130
I'm hope we see a bit of a change with Cottrell and Owies coming in this week, we at least know those two will have a crack at whatever is in front of them.

PS; I use to fear the repercussions of dropping Ed, the long term future of Charlie if Ed was dropped or delisted, but not anymore. After listening to Ed talk about the type of as5@h@l#s that it seems some of Charlies alleged suitors are, we've nothing to fear at all! These opponents that want to poach our players have painted us as sh1t, some of them quite actively doing so through unsolicited comment, but it seems compared to them as a club we've come up smelling like roses despite the coverage in the media!

Charlie is signed up until 2029. Not even Tassie can pry him away from us without paying huge at the trade table.

Ed i think is 50-50 to be the sub, (he or Kemp IMO)

Reply #131
As the game draws near, I certainly can't remember a time when we've copped such an intense pile-on from the media. Literally every day since last Friday night. Every outlet has had a crack from every angle. Past coaches, players and now high profile benefactors have had their say. I guess now the only ones left to have a crack are the players themselves and I hope they do but I wont be going to the game. I've seen this movie too many times in the past and the finale has always been so bitterly disappointing. Best of luck to the lads.

Reply #132
As the game draws near, I certainly can't remember a time when we've copped such an intense pile-on from the media. Literally every day since last Friday night. Every outlet has had a crack from every angle. Past coaches, players and now high profile benefactors have had their say. I guess now the only ones left to have a crack are the players themselves and I hope they do but I wont be going to the game. I've seen this movie too many times in the past and the finale has always been so bitterly disappointing. Best of luck to the lads.

Yes, it seems that there’s a concerted campaign to derail our season and influence the AFL’s fixturing.

Despite the professionalism and focus of our players, and AFL players in general, negative media will have an effect.

Paraphrasing the words of Mr Football and Corporal Jones, they don’t like it when we stick it up them, so don’t hold back!

Reply #133
Cotts is a smart hard running player and has improved out of sight past two years will provide plenty of drive with Saad, Doc, Dutchy, Acres

Reply #134

Tomorrow would be better to go as this week's media blitz will see them have a good crack. The week after is the issue.