Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 5252 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #135
Put Kennedy Cripps and Walsh in the middle, they are our best, Cerra and Hewitt as back ups. Attack the ball with vigour, run hard, kick to your  team mates and take the opportunities when they present. There is talk of playing McKay closer to goal. I have always considered him to be more a Kernahan type player.

Reply #136
Regarding the "pile on" by the media on Carlton why shouldn't they?
We have been ordinary since early in the season (forget the WC game).
If we can't handle the outside noise then we are not focused on what really counts..our performance.

Reply #137
It appears to me the media is finally diagnosing the problem at Carlton. You cannot fix a problem if you don't admit what it is. I have said the problems at Carlton are not the players,  not the coaches and not the administration but the culture at the Club and the attitudes that express themselves on the field as a consequence of this culture. The problem is now being named so tonight is the first chance to start dealing with the problem.

Reply #138
It appears to me the media is finally diagnosing the problem at Carlton. You cannot fix a problem if you don't admit what it is. I have said the problems at Carlton are not the players,  not the coaches and not the administration but the culture at the Club and the attitudes that express themselves on the field as a consequence of this culture. The problem is now being named so tonight is the first chance to start dealing with the problem.
Which comes first, the media sledging or the bad culture, if I look impartially it's not clear which is cause and which is effect? It can obviously be either!

I'd assert the culture has greatly improved in recent years, credit where credit is due, and that the Mathieson rant is a throwback which the media is leveraging to pile on the pressure hoping the club will react wildly.

The media know they can prime Mathieson to speak and if suitably egged on they get unrestrained dribble as output.

Anyone who thinks Carlton hasn't improved, or refuses to recognise improvement in many areas, is probably a bigger problem than the actual club! Football and sport in general isn't like an investment, it's not a simple win or loss, sport is a series of milestones that build towards an outcome, like building a house.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #139
I'm not sure about this, whenever things go pear shaped its always the "mythical" bad culture that gets raised. Can you elaborate on your thoughts about this as I am keen to explore it further if you're keen. I saw (and have seen for a while), fundamental skill errors last week that I think have nothing to do with culture. The group appears to be united, they appear to train hard, their body language looks ok on the field, I feel they can't handle pressure when its applied. How in your opinion does it relate to culture? Not being a smart ass here, am genuinely keen to explore it further as I think it means different things to different  people.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #140
I'm not sure about this, whenever things go pear shaped its always the "mythical" bad culture that gets raised. Can you elaborate on your thoughts about this as I am keen to explore it further if you're keen. I saw (and have seen for a while), fundamental skill errors last week that I think have nothing to do with culture. The group appears to be united, they appear to train hard, their body language looks ok on the field, I feel they can't handle pressure when its applied. How in your opinion does it relate to culture? Not being a smart ass here, am genuinely keen to explore it further as I think it means different things to different  people.

When the culture isn't great, the on field attitude if often poor. means you are not always switched on to what you are doing, hence errors happen everywhere, especially skills. That one is pretty easy. Didn't see anywhere near the same errors last year when we were more switched on. So the answer is pretty easy. Culture has been a problem for a couple of decades.

Reply #141
Nah we've just been stuffing up a bit lately.  Pressure is the result because you put more pressure on yourself to correct it.  The result is pressure builds and more mistakes.

How to fix it?  Release the pressure by letting them play anxiety free.  The problem is that the media has mounted even more pressure.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #142
Carlton is the feature team again in the print media this week with The Age devoting one and a half pages to an in depth article entitled "Why aren't the Blues better?.

It begins with the disquiet felt by supporters who are faced with reality not matching the rhetoric from the club.

It continues under the headings Game Plan, Positional Changes, Harry and Charlie and List and Injury Management.

There is nothing really new but it just adds up to making me feel quite depressed.  Let's hope a glass of red and a win tonight will make me feel better.

Reply #143
The reason why there's such a proliferation of these articles is precisely because there's a big market willing to give them oxygen. Carlton fans seem to be more susceptible to this type of media than most.

Reply #144
I suppose because the club has over-promised success for so many years.

I remember the excitement when we heard that we had signed Judd - all our troubles would melt away and success was just around the corner. 

We keep falling for the same line because we so desperately want to be a successful club again.

Reply #145
I suppose because the club has over-promised success for so many years.

I remember the excitement when we heard that we had signed Judd - all our troubles would melt away and success was just around the corner. 

We keep falling for the same line because we so desperately want to be a successful club again.

By now we should trust that the Club is trying (and has been trying) to do the right thing, but we should also adopt a rather circumspect approach.

Reply #146
The big questions are, does the club know what the right things to do are, and do we have the right people on board to actually successfully do the right things?

I'm not sure but hopefully we have.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #147
The big questions are, does the club know what the right things to do are, and do we have the right people on board to actually successfully do the right things?

I'm not sure but hopefully we have.

Professional sport and organised religion both require a healthy dose of hope and faith, for the unseen and unpredictable good things that lie ahead........

Reply #148
Curnow the sub

Reply #149
Curnow the sub

Hopefully that's a very strategic selection based on thorough opposition analyis.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.