Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 5269 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #45

The mistake might have been that Kennedy probably should have started rather than be sub, because with Kennedy out there adding to Cripps, Walsh, Hewett and Cerra we had greater midfield depth. I suppose nobody predicted Dunkley would get the better of or break even with Cripps.

My thoughts too.  Kennedy has his limitations  but he offers midfield depth that is lacking if Cripps is not able to dominate and he is a very good converter when resting forward.

Reply #46

We've also got to address the form of Weiters

Boyd will probably come in for Newey (who was incredibly frustrated with some of the efforts of his team mates).

Then Cottrell should come in for Honey or Dutchy.

Either way, Honey must go back to the Magoos. Dutchy really needs to work on his disposal by foot.

I'm guessing that our meek MC will probably bring back Fisher.
I thought Weitering played quite well - apart from the couple of horrendous turnovers.  I think he has suffered since Jones departed because they used to interchange to allow Weiters to spend more time at HB, where he was a good distributor.  These days he seems to be anchored deeper in the back line and largely limited to a negative role.

Boyd played okay in the VFL but should be a suitable replacement as he is a decent kick and not hesitant about putting his body on the line.

I watched Dow closely in the VFL game and thought he had perfected a couple of undesirable skills - firstly, the skill to get the ball and hurriedly kick it across his body without looking - secondly, the skill of displaying fast hands to get rid of the 'hot potato' and giving teammates the problem of trying to handle it.  He can stay in the VFL for mine.  Unfortunately, Jack Carroll wasn't much better with far fewer possessions. 

Cottrell put both of them to shame and is a definite must inclusion - at least as the sub.  In the VFL, he showed something that so many of the current AFL team has been missing - he can kick the ball effectively AND he repeatedly steadied (at pace) and had a look where to kick it to place it to advantage.

I think Owies kicked 4 goals 4 behinds (mostly from set shots) with 2 of the misses very narrow.  He needs to be back in the AFL team.

Honey is fast but only in a straight line and that is not good enough for the AFL - unless he is played in a position that doesn't require him to change direction - maybe he could evolve into a Brad Pearce type of leading forward - not sure he has many other options.

Fisher did a couple of useful things early in the VFL game because he showed dash before he momentarily steadied to kick the ball perfectly to the advantage of teammates on multiple occasions.   Regretably, later in the game when tiring or under pressure, he reverted to his usual wayward turnover kicks.

Mirkov is developing into a possibility as a tap ruckman and reminds me a lot of Justin Madden in the way he moves but has to do much more around the ground to be considered for AFL selection unless we are very desperate.

Lemmey showed nothing other than needing much more development.  Binns has some nice skills but is a lightweight and probably less value than Boyd at this stage.

Reply #47
Cottrell put both of them to shame and is a definite must inclusion - at least as the sub.  In the VFL, he showed something that so many of the current AFL team has been missing - he can kick the ball effectively AND he repeatedly steadied (at pace) and had a look where to kick it to place it to advantage.

That's what stood out for me compared to some of the others, and it's why I think he deserves a senior run...'composure'
Not rushed... careful, deliberate and effective.

Reply #48
That's what stood out for me compared to some of the others, and it's why I think he deserves a senior run...'composure'
Not rushed... careful, deliberate and effective.
He's a redhead and an elite runner, so higher than average pain tolerance and across a game less fatigue, it goes a long way when looking for some composure under pressure.

It's very hard to stay calm if you feel like you are gasping your last breath, some of our blokes are flat out just trying to catch up, and that is what comes from having too many one paced types!

As much as I like the long term look of Motlop, he lacks run, and that deficit then gets loaded onto others around him. When Fisher went out, good or bad form, we lost run by replacing him with Motlop. Durdin, SoJ, Honey, Walsh, Acres, all of the players in wing or flank rotations had to cover extra ground.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
No Treloar apparently and Ugle-Hagan has to pass a fitness test.

Reply #50
I'm not sure I can watch another rubbish effort from our mob, in fact I'm so disillusioned right now that I'm close to putting the cue in the rack for 2023.  
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #51
I'm not sure I can watch another rubbish effort from our mob, in fact I'm so disillusioned right now that I'm close to putting the cue in the rack for 2023.
@LordLucifer Better get your eyes checked, it's a fork not a queue, potting must be a real problem but the break would be spectacular!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
Owies, Kennedy, Boyd (or Cowan) and Cottrell in for me for Newman (assuming suspension stays), Honey, Hollands (needs a rest) and Ed.....Dow as the sub. Might even need to get TDK back in there against English and Lobb.

Reply #53
Might even need to get TDK back in there against English and Lobb.
Assuming he is not injured I suspect Young will stay in to cover the space needed by Lobb and English as they push forward.

TDK is not your D50 type, he works at the other end, but if he does come in he will free up Pitto to close up space.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
@LordLucifer Better get your eyes checked, it's a fork not a queue, potting must be a real problem but the break would be spectacular!

*groan*
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #55
Members and supporters made a statement Friday on what we believe is an acceptable minimal standard and failed to deliver against the Lions - hope these softies dont make the same mistake twice.

Reply #56
Last 6 results against the dogs
2022 - W 102 to 90
2021 - L 107 to 91
2020 - W 103 to 51
2019 - L 103 to 100
2019 - W 101 to 57
2018 - L 66 to 49

Don't like the pattern. Hope we can break the cycle

Reply #57
I am tipping Bulldogs 101 to Blues 75.

Reply #58
Owies, Kennedy, Boyd (or Cowan) and Cottrell in for me for Newman (assuming suspension stays), Honey, Hollands (needs a rest) and Ed.....Dow as the sub. Might even need to get TDK back in there against English and Lobb.

A friend of mine sent me a message today.
"How the hell am i supposed to tip your game this week?"

As if i've got an answer to that!

I responded with something like the following.

If we pick TDK, don't pick us.
If we pick Honey, don't pick us.
If we pick Kennedy as the sub again, don't pick us.
If any of the above happen, we have learned nothing.

We have been too slow, too tall and picking too many non-contributors.
We need to fix these things at the selection table if we want to move forward.

Will we win if all of the above goes the way i suggest? Who the hell knows, but it will certainly help.

Reply #59
TDK has played 5 games for 3 wins, 1 loss and a draw.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!