Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 4378 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #45
Why don’t our players man up? What is the point of standing between two opposition players?

manning up is a 90s style perspective on football.

If you man up you chase a player that breaks your structure and allows quick transition play whilst players aimlessly follow guys around the park and get pulled out of shape.

It also isolates men one on one in certain areas of the ground and usually results in players like the bont getting one on ones against guys that have no chance of beating him in a contest.

Going man on man is very simple and I don't think a team has won a flag doing it without having the best players in the competition since the turn of the century.

Our players look as lost as they did playing for Bolton. The criticism back then was the game plan was too complicated.  Our guys must just be dumb.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #46
Sounds likes you want to point the finger at the S&C crew ...  Didn't you get the memo, they're beyond reproach?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #47
It isn't that he doesn't chase ad tackle; he has a lot of tackles this year. But his possessions are not getting to Carlton players. And he is another whose kicking for goal has dropped off markedly. The way he is held before the ball gets near is amazing; he should have more frees than anyone else in the comp, but he just doesn't get them.

I mentioned before that Acres's disposal was poor (47%)

I also mentioned that sadly it wasn't the worst.
Both Cripps (42%) and Weitering (46%) were poorer.
I cut them a bit more slack than Acres because of the attention Cripps gets, and the fact that a lot of Weitering's kicks were hacks out of defence under pressure.
But still poor and costly.

On the small forwards... if you could take the best bits of Motlop, Durdin and Owies and combine them into one player we'd have a super small forward.
But they take up three places, not one, and I'm not sure we benefit with all three playing at the same time.

Reply #48
The ease of which we allow it out of our forward half is embarrassing.

You must contest every play. Yet we do not. When Jesse ran down a player just out of our f50, we got the turn over.

I agree with ^ re conditioning. maybe that is the problem. Altho Dogs looked gassed end of 3rd quarter, but were able to get it done.

Who knows. So bloody annoying, after last year I think i and many others thought we were just a small step from finals. We are not.

We will get annihilated next week, I’m glad somethings come up and we can’t go. Last night was putrid in the first half and the last quarter. Not enjoyable one bit.

Reply #49
What did Voss say in the presser? I have no energy to watch…!

Reply #50
What game were you watching? Too busy working on your scorched earth policy and compiling your sacking list? Negative or what?

Not negative, just honest !!

Acres' kicking last night was appalling, did you not see him kick it behind our player or directly to an opposition player ?
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #51
That's coaching 101 I believe 🙄

So why didn't our coach employ the same 101 principle and address the issue in-match ??

Reply #52
We managed to hit the lead near the end with most of our stars having contributed bugger all (apart from Charlie Curnow and Walsh). It was a game built on the effort of the lesser lights, so some definite cause for optimism IMO. Whatever issues (legit or otherwise) resulted in his omission, Tom De Koning would have been a better match up for English. At least athletically and endurance wise, he would've kept up.

Reply #53
Evidently H declined Fevs offer to lend a hand 🙄

Three of our players took set shots for goal and did the kick across the body thing, they didn't even score. 

Reply #54
The way he is held before the ball gets near is amazing; he should have more frees than anyone else in the comp, but he just doesn't get them.
It’s ridiculous. You give away a free in a marking contest if you take your eyes off the ball. Same in a ruck contest. Cripps’ opponents face him, eyeball him, have an arm around him BEFORE the set play begins.

He’s one of the toughest and fairest going around but doesn’t ‘milk it’ or remonstrate enough. Umps clearly think he’s a decent fellow.
Voss needs to get in front of the cameras and microphones and go absolutely ballistic. Screw any possible fines.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #55
McKay & Curnow contributed 2.5 between them last nite.

Reply #56
So I can’t work out - are Dogs a good side?  because they didn’t blow us out of the water when we were abysmal In the first half. 🤷🏻‍♀️

And imo we let them cut loose in the last 5 mins of the game.

Reply #57
So I can’t work out - are Dogs a good side?  because they didn’t blow us out of the water when we were abysmal In the first half. 🤷🏻‍♀️

And imo we let them cut loose in the last 5 mins of the game.
Dogs are like us just making up the numbers.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
Why don’t our players man up? What is the point of standing between two opposition players?

One of my major gripes with this team is they just don't defend a man at times when they have too.
There is no excuses, you want to play loose and chase kicks then don't whinge when the ball finds your man on the way back...
Cripps let Libba run forward unchecked last quarter and wouldn't chase and Saad was nowhere Scott all day for example.
Get on your fecking man and do your job, I don't care about your possession stats or that your man is a no name like Scott.

Reply #59
Dogs are like us just making up the numbers.

I suspect for now that’s probably true.