Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 4166 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #60
So I can’t work out - are Dogs a good side?  because they didn’t blow us out of the water when we were abysmal In the first half. 🤷🏻‍♀️

And imo we let them cut loose in the last 5 mins of the game.

One of the things that really Sh*t me about some of the commentators and the Carlton pile-on at the moment is this...

They crap on about how terrible we are, and we're in deep trouble...and then in the next breath they're raving about the opposition.

The Blues were awful but Brisbane were very good!
The Blues were awful but the Bulldogs were very good!

Both those  opposition sides were under pressure in  late stages of their games against us.
You can't have it both ways.
If Brisbane and the Bulldogs were very good, yet challenged at worst that makes us OK or average.

In reality last night 'we were' awful...and that makes the bulldogs only marginally better.
Better forward structure and better execution further afield.

Reply #61
My biggest concern is regarding how mentally weak a number of our players are. They lack fight & grit when it is most needed and this has a habit of spreading across the remainder of the team.

When things aren't going well, we just seem to "go through the motions" and when it is a particular player's turn to really deliver (e.g. kick that important goal or make that desperate chase & tackle), we just don't do it. We lose momentum, we lose fait and we lose belief.

If our players ran on the field with the same attitude and gusto that Voss & Power played with, we would be winning way more than we are losing.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #62
My biggest concern is regarding how mentally weak a number of our players are. They lack fight & grit when it is most needed and this has a habit of spreading across the remainder of the team.

When things aren't going well, we just seem to "go through the motions" and when it is a particular player's turn to really deliver (e.g. kick that important goal or make that desperate chase & tackle), we just don't do it. We lose momentum, we lose fait and we lose belief.

If our players ran on the field with the same attitude and gusto that Voss & Power played with, we would be winning way more than we are losing.
Yes, when we clawed our way in front, they really needed to get ugly and fight/scrap their way to victory. Instead, they wanted to keep shooting it out with them. I get it, they wanted to win it, but all of a sudden it became a close game and went into hero mode. They had to make it uglier than it already was. Thats between the ears.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #63
Three of our players took set shots for goal and did the kick across the body thing, they didn't even score. 

Cripps on his left foot from a 45 degree angle? I know he won the Brownlow but he's not Gary Ablett.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #64
I think in the scheme of things we are doing okay. Some problems in the forward half as I think defensive game is very solid.
Forward of centre is a bit of a mess and depending on Charlie and Harry every game is not good.
We need to find a Breust, Rioli and Puopolo combination. This mix isn't working - Owies, Cunners and Martin would be my best small forward mix - if Cunners and Martin can't get on the park every game after the bye then we need to find players that can.

Reply #65
manning up is a 90s style perspective on football.

If you man up you chase a player that breaks your structure and allows quick transition play whilst players aimlessly follow guys around the park and get pulled out of shape.

It also isolates men one on one in certain areas of the ground and usually results in players like the bont getting one on ones against guys that have no chance of beating him in a contest.

Going man on man is very simple and I don't think a team has won a flag doing it without having the best players in the competition since the turn of the century.

Our players look as lost as they did playing for Bolton. The criticism back then was the game plan was too complicated.  Our guys must just be dumb.
That excuses for lazy football, the modern game doesn't excuse you to not to do the basics when the game is tight.
You let the opposition main drivers run around unopposed then don't complain when they take over and you lose because eventually momentum swings and if you have haven't taken your chances they will.

Reply #66
I think in the scheme of things we are doing okay. Some problems in the forward half as I think defensive game is very solid.
Forward of centre is a bit of a mess and depending on Charlie and Harry every game is not good.
We need to find a Breust, Rioli and Puopolo combination. This mix isn't working - Owies, Cunners and Martin would be my best small forward mix - if Cunners and Martin can't get on the park every game after the bye then we need to find players that can.
Dunno about defensive game being solid. Young was ok, Saad made a howler costing that goal, but admittedly redeemed himself. We are shaky and simply struggle to get it out. I was real close to the ground (bottom of leave 2 behind the goals) and as a group, they looked lost at times.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #67
manning up is a 90s style perspective on football.

If you man up you chase a player that breaks your structure and allows quick transition play whilst players aimlessly follow guys around the park and get pulled out of shape.

It also isolates men one on one in certain areas of the ground and usually results in players like the bont getting one on ones against guys that have no chance of beating him in a contest.

Going man on man is very simple and I don't think a team has won a flag doing it without having the best players in the competition since the turn of the century.

Our players look as lost as they did playing for Bolton. The criticism back then was the game plan was too complicated.  Our guys must just be dumb.
I will say this, our guys simply don't put enough pressure on the ball carrier and that has to be by instruction/design. Teams are doing it to us and we simply refuse to reciprocate.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #68
Dunno about defensive game being solid. Young was ok, Saad made a howler costing that goal, but admittedly redeemed himself. We are shaky and simply struggle to get it out. I was real close to the ground (bottom of leave 2 behind the goals) and as a group, they looked lost at times.

Its not so much the mistakes  - they are going to happen and going to cost goals. Its choking the opponent in transition and being solid winning the ground balls. In the past teams used to stroll through our midfield and defences for easy goals. I think we are a tough team to score against as defensive transitioning is best part of our game right now.

Reply #69
Saad had three kicked on him....not good enough.

Reply #70
Saad had three kicked on him....not good enough.
Attacked a few hard and saved just as many
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #71
As someone said, coach this:

https://www.tiktok.com/@typemedia/video/7232643371687300354?_r=1&_t=8cIMMHFOtEu
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #72
29 inside 50s first half for one goal......is story of the tale for me.
Thats been a problem past few years actually.

Reply #73
Attacked a few hard and saved just as many
Main job is defend your man....Essendon asked him to defend and he got upset.
We can't carry too many kick chasers at the expense of defending your man...
You can't let Jaime Elliott on his own all game this week...

Reply #74
If Saad didn't cover for others we would have got done by 8 goals.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!