Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 4199 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #30
Only highlight (besides Owies understanding that footy is about kicking goals!) is Fev behind up on level 2 and being a great sport, getting into the game and the Carlton chants. He took numerous photos with people lining up and if only he could go teach H how to fking kick!

Reply #31
That Brownlow medallist is becoming a  massive problem.  His inability to defend is killing us.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #32
I know it's natural to point the finger at this point. I can honestly say I'm baffled. I have no idea what we're doing or who we are any more.

I realise our list has a couple of pieces missing but in all honesty I can't see a way out atm. Unfortunately, we're running out of time to get points on the board. It's been really telling seeing teams like the Crows and Pies to a lesser extent, improve like they have. Meanwhile we have gone backwards IMO. We're terribly out of form.

As difficult as it is to muster hope, I'll take a deep breath and hope this looks brighter tomorrow.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #33
Only highlight (besides Owies understanding that footy is about kicking goals!) is Fev behind up on level 2 and being a great sport, getting into the game and the Carlton chants. He took numerous photos with people lining up and if only he could go teach H how to fking kick!

Evidently H declined Fevs offer to lend a hand 🙄
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #34
That Brownlow medallist is becoming a  massive problem.  His inability to defend is killing us.
It isn't that he doesn't chase ad tackle; he has a lot of tackles this year. But his possessions are not getting to Carlton players. And he is another whose kicking for goal has dropped off markedly. The way he is held before the ball gets near is amazing; he should have more frees than anyone else in the comp, but he just doesn't get them.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #35
Another year where we are built up only to shown up.

The club has broken me. I refuse to attend any game live and now watch without much emotion at all.

Even when we had a talent less list I still cared and felt the pain of a loss. Today after too many years of lies Im now immune to losing and no longer care. Sick of waiting and have realised after 10 plus years of being a laughing stock we have amounted to at best a middle of the road team.

Time to call it as it guys the rebuild is over and it failed. Thing is where to from here. I have no idea.

Watching Harry, cripps, Jack, Motlop all horribly spray gettable goals kicking set shots around their body or with their non preferred foot confirmed we are unprofessional and as amateurish as any club in the comp.  How the f*ck does Harry go from a Coleman medalist 1 year ago to an absolute idiot
when having any set shot. The bloke has lost all confidence and had no fling idea what to do. It’s an inditement on the club how far he has fallen.
To think after 8 hard long years this is where we are at is quite depressing to be honest.
Amazing to think it appears we need a broom through the club from the president down.

Reply #36
Isn't it time the club had the gumption to tell Big H that it can no longer indulge him in his fantasy that he is a forward?

Perhaps his brother is the smarter of the two, realised his limitations years ago, and opted for a position on the backline.

Maybe we could swap Big H and McGovern, as McGovern could do no worse on the forward line.

Reply #37
It was like they showed us for 5 mins what they could do just to tempt and tease us……
Then no your 23 year cycle of sub par mediocrity is to continue and after another brief taste of what it’s like to have that love of club and football it’s gone and life goes back to a grind of not wanting people to ask who you barrack for as your almost embarrassed. Back to copping crap at work, not wanting to read the paper or watch the sports report.
Worse of all watching your grandkids in another clubs jumper when you are a third generation Blues supporter 
Passion for the fight has gone it seems from the players and me

Reply #38
The way he is held before the ball gets near is amazing; he should have more frees than anyone else in the comp, but he just doesn't get them.
I hope we are asking the AFL why, and in a very public way?

If we don't make an issue of this, in the media chat and talkback, do not expect anybody else to, and our club seems mostly silent on it. A mate of mine thinks we are deliberately quiet because we are at a disadvantage if the AFL crack down of holding, because most of our blokes are second to the ball.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
AFL media stirring the pot as usual, we have to expect it.

Voss spent the bulk of his media conference telling the reporters about the shortfalls, managing emotions and the need to get better, the media use "Voss Proud" as a headline!

If you see headline rubbish like this, do not click on it because refusing the clickbait is the only way it stops!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
I went along last night, sat behind the goals on level 2. I dont know what I watched from us TBH. Forget about first half versus second half, just in general my observations were as follows.
From them, I saw hard running up and down the ground especially numbers to their D50 to create a contest at every entry. They set up players on along the centre square line to block our kick in to the corridor from the wings. They were dynamite at getting  the ball out to space from congestion with 2 or 3 quick handballs to runners going passed. The seemed to know exactly what do, it looked like set play after set play from my vantage point.

Us?
The Bad: Kicks from FB are substandard. Our transition from def to fwd is predictable, kick to the wings and run it along the boundary line. We are forced (or just do it through sheer stupidity) to kick to 2 on 1s or even 3 on 1s far too often. Our def was very ordinary last night, sloppy at best. Poor old Weiters looks cooked ATM, at one stage he and Newmy were flat out arguing in front of us. We were constantly having to stop, prop have a look, and ultimately. The efforts int front of goal from H, Motlop and Cripps were embarrassing.
The guys seem to have no confidence at the minute, to a man they seem scared to take a risk with a kick which could be turned over.
The Good:
Not many, I thought Kennedy was excellent all night. Pitto tried very hard against English but struggles around the ground.
Apart from Owies who just goes back, owns it and slots it and Charlie when he got going, our fwd play was as woeful as our defence. I'd hate to think what type of night we would have had without Owies.

I didn't expect to win and we didn't, that's about it, onto Coll who strangely now, I think we can beat on the MCG.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #41
I went along last night, sat behind the goals on level 2. I dont know what I watched from us TBH. Forget about first half versus second half, just in general my observations were as follows.
From them, I saw hard running up and down the ground especially numbers to their D50 to create a contest at every entry. They set up players on along the centre square line to block our kick in to the corridor from the wings. They were dynamite at getting  the ball out to space from congestion with 2 or 3 quick handballs to runners going passed. The seemed to know exactly what do, it looked like set play after set play from my vantage point.

Us?
The Bad: Kicks from FB are substandard. Our transition from def to fwd is predictable, kick to the wings and run it along the boundary line. We are forced (or just do it through sheer stupidity) to kick to 2 on 1s or even 3 on 1s far too often. Our def was very ordinary last night, sloppy at best. Poor old Weiters looks cooked ATM, at one stage he and Newmy were flat out arguing in front of us. We were constantly having to stop, prop have a look, and ultimately. The efforts int front of goal from H, Motlop and Cripps were embarrassing.
The guys seem to have no confidence at the minute, to a man they seem scared to take a risk with a kick which could be turned over.
The Good:
Not many, I thought Kennedy was excellent all night. Pitto tried very hard against English but struggles around the ground.
Apart from Owies who just goes back, owns it and slots it and Charlie when he got going, our fwd play was as woeful as our defence. I'd hate to think what type of night we would have had without Owies.

I didn't expect to win and we didn't, that's about it, onto Coll who strangely now, I think we can beat on the MCG.
cottrell and hollands were good.

Jack and mcgovern both put in a shift too.

Owies was clearly one of our better players and its an indictment on his teamates that a former basketballer is the best set shot at the club.

Charlie was decent but has better in him.

For mine the coaching isn't the issue.  Had we converted just 2 of our early set shots all of which were gettable the whole game changes.

You have given the bulldogs way too much credit.  They spent two quarters navel gazing and both sides were just going last night.  They didn't start working until they fell behind last night. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42
Another Jekyll and Hyde performance. Some good work and some ah ya ya. Interesting that it seemed to be a night for the no name players. Most of the stars did little. I thought Saad and Young were ok. Walsh was his usual industrious and hard working self. Charlie Curnow has a bit of the Nick Riewoldt form factor last night - good game I thought.

Reply #43
Why don’t our players man up? What is the point of standing between two opposition players?

Reply #44
I've thought about it.  The more this goes on the more I think our players are in poor condition and our pre season must have been rubbish.  Why that is could be anyone's guess but hollands, a first year player is showing more nous and ability than guys in the system for 4 years plus.

Cotters for all his vaunted running power and fitness has had a massive spell and yet looked in better nick than most of them.  This equation is one that is simple enough to gauge.

Our strength and conditioning is off which has led to more and more lack of belief and more execution problems.

Our game management suggests the same.  We are stopping and slowing the game down as much as possible to get numbers up the park.  That's a sign of a team who isn't capable of running a game out and is only willing to take the game on when they have to.

It's simplistic to say the coach has no idea or we are easy to play against.

Our set shot kicking is deplorable too.  Another sign the players are not in prime condition.

Worst thing is that we tend to get worse not better in this regard and our formline is actually getting eorse not better.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson