Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 4340 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #135
How frustrating that we developed Liam Jones into a gun defender and sent him back to the dogs.
He destroyed us, apparently has won 14 out of 15 one on one contests this season.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #136
We didn't give him away, the bloke did a number on us.  It seemed a bit convenient if you ask me, especially the timing.

In the highlights from the weekend he makes a pathetic, outlandish "marking attempt" on JSOS which looked like an obvious free.  Anyway it spilled and Chuck kicked a goal from it.  Looked like a typical Jones Captain chaos incident.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #137
What irks me about Jones is that when he spoiled like that at Carlton he was penalised giving away free after free, and now he isn't!

Otherwise, we don't really miss him, he is still captain chaos and is just as likely to clean up one of his own as the opposition.
At the weekend, the Dogs got away with a huge amount of checking on Charlie and Harry, with the Dogs small defenders blocking and leaving one of them free, Johannisen and Richards early were getting away with murder.

But it only was possible because Motlop and Durdin run around like headless chooks, they exerted zero pressure of Richards and Johannisen early in the match, I would not be surprised if both Dogs small defenders had 20+ possessions by 1/2-time, and we just kept kicking to Charlie and Harry predictably.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #138
What irks me about Jones is that when he spoiled like that at Carlton he was penalised giving away free after free, and now he isn't!
You are dead set making that up.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #139
You are dead set making that up.
Go back and watch games like Jones(Carlton) versus Richmond or Geelong, versus Jones(Bulldogs) vs McKay or Charlie last weekend, he used body spoils last weekend that got him penalised when playing for us, he basically turned himself in a missile that canons into the opponents. But he'll smash himself and team-mates as much as he gets a result.

I don't care about the penalty or lack of it as long as it is applied the same way to all players.

I don't get why they get away with it against us, and on top of that go back and watch some of the spoils from Johannisen and Richards on SoJ and Charlie, straight out arm contact nowhere near the ball, no free kick. There is one from last weekend that is perfect vision, I think it was a Richards spoil on SoJ right over the top of the field umpires head, and he calls play on. At the other end Weiters or Gov brush an opponents arms and it's a free kick, Newman and Cincotta were both penalised at the other end for doing the same.

I see it primarily as a problem of the too many umpires, it leaves the decisions inconsistent because they can't all agree on what is legal or illegal.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
I watched Liverpool vs Leicester this morning.  All 3 goals had an element of subjectivity in the decisions.

One of the commentators mentioned that when you aren't going well these borderline calls don't go your way either.  I tend to agree.

The umpiring against the bulldogs wasn't great, but one decision stands out and that was mcgoverb getting front on contact in a marking contest and the call was play on.  We were in front by one point.  At the ground it looked bad.  On replay, not so much so angles can make a big difference.

Ultimately if we were playing better we wouldn't care and odds are we'd get more calls our way.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #141
Ultimately if we were playing better we wouldn't care and odds are we'd get more calls our way.
Which raises another question, is umpiring influenced by expectations?

This is quite relevant when we consider we are playing the Filth this weekend who if they are behind are expected to make a strong final quarter comeback!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #142
Coaches' votes :

9 Tom Liberatore (WB)
8 Ed Richards (WB)
5 Bailey Smith (WB)
3 Jason Johannisen (WB)
2 Liam Jones (WB)
2 Sam Walsh (CARL)
1 Bailey Dale (WB)

Reply #143
Coaches' votes :

9 Tom Liberatore (WB)
8 Ed Richards (WB)
5 Bailey Smith (WB)
3 Jason Johannisen (WB)
2 Liam Jones (WB)
2 Sam Walsh (CARL)
1 Bailey Dale (WB)
Surprised about Libba, thought he was OK but I would have listed Richards or Johannisen as best for them, I expected Walsh to be rated higher but the spoils go to the winners.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #144
Surprised about Libba, thought he was OK but I would have listed Richards or Johannisen as best for them, I expected Walsh to be rated higher but the spoils go to the winners.

According to our friends at Champion Data, Liberatore's game was off the charts, especially his last quarter. Not sure why, in successive weeks, we have to cop 2 blokes who play the game of their lives.

Reply #145
Libba usually does well against us and he lifted in that last 5 mins to help win them the game..