Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 10 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 6371 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 10 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #60
We are better team than what we are showing.
I gave the team C+ against the Dogs only because almost 3/4 of the game was played on our terms would have got a B- if execution was right a B if there was a functioning forward of center line. But defensive structure was superb I thought apart from some poor execution. Pressure around the ball and putting on heat and squeezing the opposition from their half back from our mids was  at a high standard. We got this part of the game absolutely spot on and teams don't waltz for easy goals any more.
Just some ground ball class forward of centre will be the icing and unless Martin and Cunners pull off a miracle its unlikely to happen this year.

Reply #61
I thought Cripps presser we pretty good, told it like it is, good to come from this lot you should back them in!

Of those representing the club in the media over the last couple of weeks -- Cookie, Vossy, Lloyd & Cerra -- Crippa, with his honesty and sincere faith in his team-mates and process, was easily the best and most reassuring of the bunch.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #62
We are better team than what we are showing.
I gave the team C+ against the Dogs only because almost 3/4 of the game was played on our terms would have got a B- if execution was right a B if there was a functioning forward of center line. But defensive structure was superb I thought apart from some poor execution. Pressure around the ball and putting on heat and squeezing the opposition from their half back from our mids was  at a high standard. We got this part of the game absolutely spot on and teams don't waltz for easy goals any more.
Just some ground ball class forward of centre will be the icing and unless Martin and Cunners pull off a miracle its unlikely to happen this year.
Bulldogs were less efficient inside 50 than we were, we also lost the clearances, tackle count and they had the better disposal efficiency...reckon we are kidding ourselves if we think we deserved to win that game.

Reply #63
Daicos could be an issue.
We have a few options IMO depending on who we actually pick.

1. Ed Curnow - He has history as a tagger. We know he can stick to a man and has a tank to go with him all day. If he plays in the middle, Ed has probably even has him covered. He has the footy smarts, and the hunger to do the job.

2. Cottrell - Has a great tank, loves the physicality, comes off a good game last week so is in form as well.

3. Hollands - A bit more left field, but perhaps thats what we need. Hollands is an elite runner, even more so than the above 2 who used to be top 3 in time trials every time. Not only will he be able to stay with Daicos for the day, he will actually benefit from it getting a front row seat to what an elite midfielder looks like. Perhaps least likely from these 3 to get the job, but has the most to gain if he did. Be good for his development, and confidence if he goes ok.

1. Ed - A nod to the past
2. Cottrell - An view of the now
3. Hollands - An eye on the future.

Be interesting to see what path the MC take.

Reply #64
Daicos could be an issue.
We have a few options IMO depending on who we actually pick.

1. Ed Curnow - He has history as a tagger. We know he can stick to a man and has a tank to go with him all day. If he plays in the middle, Ed has probably even has him covered. He has the footy smarts, and the hunger to do the job.

2. Cottrell - Has a great tank, loves the physicality, comes off a good game last week so is in form as well.

3. Hollands - A bit more left field, but perhaps thats what we need. Hollands is an elite runner, even more so than the above 2 who used to be top 3 in time trials every time. Not only will he be able to stay with Daicos for the day, he will actually benefit from it getting a front row seat to what an elite midfielder looks like. Perhaps least likely from these 3 to get the job, but has the most to gain if he did. Be good for his development, and confidence if he goes ok.

1. Ed - A nod to the past
2. Cottrell - An view of the now
3. Hollands - An eye on the future.

Be interesting to see what path the MC take.
Hollands might get Josh.....Daicos bros usually get 60 possies plus between them and Josh tends to sneak under the radar.
Reckon Ed might be struggling to get a game this week and we will look for more leg speed, Id probably leave him in but I reckon the MC might include some younger legs.

Reply #65
Hollands might get Josh.....Daicos bros usually get 60 possies plus between them and Josh tends to sneak under the radar.
Reckon Ed might be struggling to get a game this week and we will look for more leg speed, Id probably leave him in but I reckon the MC might include some younger legs.

If we pick a team for us....Ed doesn't play.
If we pick a team to play the opposition, Ed definitely should be in contention.

Reply #66
If we pick a team for us....Ed doesn't play.
If we pick a team to play the opposition, Ed definitely should be in contention.

The fact Ed's name is being tossed up and being an option confirms how bare our cupboard is and how reactive our club has become. Wonder if i will ever see the day when we are the hunted. You would think they would be sh1t scared on how to stop Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Charlie, Harry etc but nope these pr1cks are so confident that just go out on the offensive, trust there gameplan and skills and let the opposition dare try to stop them. And as we know even if you do get 5 goals up late they believe they can run over the opposition. They are easily a 5-6 goal better side then us at the moment.

Unless we come out with 100% effort on the full offensive our skill are clean and we kick straight and put it on the scoreboard (that's 3 unlikely occurrences in one sentence) we wont even be competitive. Anything less and they will pound us to a pulp and that fking coooooooolingwood chant will be around the stadium early in the last quarter imo.    

They have clean users, more pace, a better game plan and a better coach. Just too much for an out of confidence team to overcome.  

Reply #67
All sides struggle when you apply maximum pressure at the source and on the ball carrier when they get it.  Win the contested ball (which we are quite capable of doing) and chase/tackle with intent.  Hunt the b####ds.  If we let them run free and cede the corridor like we often do, they'll win by 10 easing up.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #68
Their wingers have really flogged us in the past, they are at another level in ability....

It's why we have to think outside the box a little with our selections plus we need to send a message that sloppy performances won't be tolerated.

B : Kemp, Young, Cowan
HB : Cincotta, Weitering, Newman
C : Saad, Cripps, Walsh
HF : Cerra, McGovern, Curnow
F: McKay, Motlop, Hollands   
R : Pittonet, Hewett, Docherty
I/C : De Koning, Binns, Owies, Cottrell
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #69
Its not that hard to work out, we faf around the boundary line, meanwhile the oppo run down the middle droves and are in our F50 waiting to greet our guys when they arrive.
I get the idea it's deliberate to make our opposition flood back and then try execute a forward press.  A defensive move IMHO.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #70
Pies by 26.
Hope it's Blues by 26, but... 

Go Blues- time to click
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #71
Pies by 26.
Hope it's Blues by 26, but... 

Go Blues- time to click

Against BrisVegas I think you predicted 16... not far off the mark. So... gulp!

I've lowered my expectations. Just hoping for a four qtr good showing... with more instinctual, bold movement of the aggott, and dare I say... everyone with a better than 65% disposal! 1975... Supertramp!!!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #72
If we don't change anything  following the Dogs game then we would be looking at a 30ish points loss imo.

Let's hope a few things will have improved.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #73
I actually think we did well against the Dogs just need to do the 2nd half and abit last week for four quarters.

Can't have 29 entries for one goal and minimum score board impact - small forwards need to lift the whole teams needs to find another gear and play four quarters first time this year. Wouldn't mind to see a line in the sand game and start the game with a brawl to soften them up.

Reply #74
Slow motion Blues … from Riley Beveridge on AFL.com
Carlton is among the slowest ball-movement sides in the competition.

According to Champion Data, the Blues rank No.3 for disposals this season. However, despite possessing so much of the ball, they rank No.14 for inside-50s. Quite simply, they're not controlling the footy in the most dangerous areas.

To further illustrate that, Carlton ranks No.16 in the league for percentage of kicks going forward. For context, only Hawthorn and North Melbourne rate lower. The Blues also rank No.16 for percentage of kicks going long.

Too many players racking up useless stats , kicking too short and taking us nowhere apart from allowing opposition teams time to get back in numbers and clog our forward line.