Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 10 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 6050 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 10 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #15
Carl v Coll
The biggest, oldest and only true rivalry IMO
Forget form
Forget ladder position
Forget what happened rnd 23 last year
Its at the G
Sell out crowd
It will be on for young and old!
Blues in a close one.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
Time for a reality check. A couple of years ago Weitering was bereft of confidence, had a week in the 2s and came back firing.
Out:  Weitering  Cincotta Acres
In:  Boyd, Binns, Kemp

Collingwood aren't exceptionally tall up forward and we need more pace. Young, MGovern, Kemp can handle the talls, Boyd give us pace and kicking accuracy and Binns deserves a go....Acres deserves a rest!
Your outs are interesting, Weiters is all at sea, I wonder if they are brave enough to give me a rest? Acres? I can now see why he came so cheap. I can't kelp but think he s an upgrade on Ed only in terms of age. Big body who runs up and down the wing to create a contest but he is bloody awful with the ball in hand.
Is Cowan injured? I think Hollands needs a rest although he is one of the few who tries so hard to get to a contest and try and halve it. His disposal is very good for a young kid with no "body". That left footer in traffic to spot up Owies was sublime (again right in front me so I had the perfect view). The kid is confident that's for sure.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #17
Your outs are interesting, Weiters is all at sea, I wonder if they are brave enough to give me a rest? Acres? I can now see why he came so cheap. I can't kelp but think he s an upgrade on Ed only in terms of age. Big body who runs up and down the wing to create a contest but he is bloody awful with the ball in hand.
Is Cowan injured? I think Hollands needs a rest although he is one of the few who tries so hard to get to a contest and try and halve it. His disposal is very good for a young kid with no "body". That left footer in traffic to spot up Owies was sublime (again right in front me so I had the perfect view). The kid is confident that's for sure.
Holland reminds me of Lappin.
Scrawny but gives his all.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #18
I am working on Saturday after having to do a Friday twilight event too so I won't get to see much of this game live. This doesn't particularly worry me as I don't think we are going to get close to the Pies as they are playing a really inspiring brand of footy right now. They are enjoying themselves and are unified in the one pursuit, something we can only dream of right now !!

As far as the club overall goes, I think it's time to put a complete media ban on EVERYONE (and I mean everyone, board, coaches, admins, players, coterie groups etc) at the club until such time as we have delivered some serious results onfield. Naturally Vossy is the exception as he has to do the compulsory post match presser each week.

We are sick & tired of hearing the platitudes and motherhood statements, there is nothing anyone at the club can say now, we have heard it too many times already and we sure as hell are not buying it any more either.

If they don't want to come out with comments from the heart like "no, it wasn't good enough and we have let our supporters down yet again" then stop wasting your time & ours.

Results or STFU !!!!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #19

If they don't want to come out with comments from the heart like "no, it wasn't good enough and we have let our supporters down yet again" then stop wasting your time & ours.

Results or STFU !!!!

So if the club came out and said "we let our supporters down" and we can see it comes from the heart (whatever that means) that would be sufficient to placate the angry hordes ? Somehow I doubt it. At any rate, I'd be wary of assuming there's only one audience when such comments are made. There's a number of stakeholders that get addressed in public announcements from the club, be they media, fans, players, marketers, coterie groups, other clubs, the AFL.

If Voss or anyone else said "we let our supporters down yet again" every time we lose, it would carry no weight or believability at all. I much rather they behave professionally rather than angry fanboys.

The chasm that exists between ideas fans have about AFL football, and the actual reality of what being an AFL Club / footballer entails, seems to get bigger and bigger.

I watched the Lyon presser after today's game, and the last question he was asked was about giving a spray at quarter time. Listen to his answer. In fact, watch the whole presser. If you didn't know the score, judging by his comments, you'd think they won. Barely a bad word about his own team. 

Reply #20
Team morale is sometimes fragile when the team is out of form.

Yo go hard at them and expect more when you are winning.. when form is poor losing the dressing room is the worst possible results.

They will go on about their business in a professional manner with reviews and what not. I believe in this squad and reckon they will turn it around. But going hard at them now is totally the wrong move for team morale.

Reply #21
BTW I am not concerned that we are going to get reamed - we are due to bottom out in the current out of form cycle that happens to all teams during the year. The team is not playing too badly but in case you missed it our small forwards are the worst in the competition.

Reply #22
Tassie Blues!  ;D
We'd get good draft picks early.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #23
BTW I am not concerned that we are going to get reamed - we are due to bottom out in the current out of form cycle that happens to all teams during the year. The team is not playing too badly but in case you missed it our small forwards are the worst in the competition.
Problem is the out of form cycle has been going on for 9 rounds!!

Reply #24
Are the small forwards really getting potted again?

We've got two coleman medalists who can't hut the side of a barn, midfielders refusing to compete and run hard, defenders leaking goals on the goal line and wingers that can't hit a teamate by foot, but somehow we aren't getting enough out of our small forwards.

I'm sick to death of hearing that.  We don't even kick the ball in their direction most of the time, and when we do we expect miracles.

Small forwards.  7 to 13 possessions with a couple of tackles and hitting the scoreboard for a goal or two with the odd goal assist is what you can expect from the average small forward.   Motlop was arguably the worst of the 3, but they are all a work in progress and will have up and down weeks.

Thing is, they've also been vacating the forward line in an effort to give Charlie and Harry more room but tv doesn't show you this. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #25
I was on level 3 last night and it was our slow midfield that were terrible.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #26
Are the small forwards really getting potted again?

We've got two coleman medalists who can't hut the side of a barn, midfielders refusing to compete and run hard, defenders leaking goals on the goal line and wingers that can't hit a teamate by foot, but somehow we aren't getting enough out of our small forwards.

I'm sick to death of hearing that.  We don't even kick the ball in their direction most of the time, and when we do we expect miracles.

Small forwards.  7 to 13 possessions with a couple of tackles and hitting the scoreboard for a goal or two with the odd goal assist is what you can expect from the average small forward.   Motlop was arguably the worst of the 3, but they are all a work in progress and will have up and down weeks.

Thing is, they've also been vacating the forward line in an effort to give Charlie and Harry more room but tv doesn't show you this.

Don't read Pinot's posts, and you will probably not hear it anymore.

Its a bugbear of theirs that has been going for years.

Reply #27
I was on level 3 last night and it was our slow midfield that were terrible.
our slow ball movement is another problem.  By the time we make up out mind what to do all options are closed.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #28
our slow ball movement is another problem.  By the time we make up out mind what to do all options are closed.
Its not that hard to work out, we faf around the boundary line, meanwhile the oppo run down the middle droves and are in our F50 waiting to greet our guys when they arrive.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #29
Our small forwards don't do enough and that's the reality, they don't get the ball enough. If we had something better they wouldn't be getting a game.
Some people want Martin back...that's a real endorsement..
Our seconds got knocked over by a bunch of high school kids, there isn't any pressure for positions and we don't have any depth.