Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2023 Rd 4 Carlton vs Williamstown at Willi (Read 2453 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2023 Rd 4 Carlton vs Williamstown at Willi

Reply #45
We are getting beaten from the ruck, to the ball, and everywhere in between. Defence. Well. .
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #46
That sort of common sense instruction can be coached.

Yes.....but it is also something that players should be well aware of at this level.

My son is playing his first year of U9's. He basically new nothing about how footy worked when he started apart from what a handball, a kick and a mark was.
In less than half a season playing he has learned how to man up (where to stand and when) where position himself during marking contests if he's not involved. Learned about the path to goals from FB to FF (follow boundary line out, square up to hotspot). Where to position if you don't have an opponent. As well as all the rules that goes along with it all. On top of that, he's learned how to adapt all of the above when its wet....and when its windy.
The kid is not even 9 FFS. These blokes have been playing footy longer than he has been alive and still struggling with those basics.

Reply #47
"he who will not be named" pretty good again today but it's hardly worth mentioning as we know he is persona non grata so we'll move on to the others. I think TDK has really worked hard all day and probably 2nd best on ground. Kemp bar a brain fade or two was solid. Binns first half was good. Marchbank looks like he's going to get through the match which is great Fisher better in the 2nd half but still nowhere near a call up. Honey, well better left unsaid. Forgarty, patchy. Plowman, meh. Cowan was solid.

Reply #48
"he who will not be named" pretty good again today but it's hardly worth mentioning as we know he is persona non grata so we'll move on to the others. I think TDK has really worked hard all day and probably 2nd best on ground. Kemp bar a brain fade or two was solid. Binns first half was good. Marchbank looks like he's going to get through the match which is great Fisher better in the 2nd half but still nowhere near a call up. Honey, well better left unsaid. Forgarty, patchy. Plowman, meh. Cowan was solid.
Took me a while to work out who you were talking about. First i thought TDK, then Plowman....but landed on Dow by the end of it.

He has been good, and you probably couldn't ask him to do much more......but he hasn't been great with his disposal. Sure, worst conditions to be judging that, but still think he has to improve that area......especially since its the achillies heel of the 1's!

Reply #49
Bad day to assess Dow. We really want to know whether his kicking has improved but in a high wind day how would you know? For instance, he kicked a nice pass to Lemmey who marked and goaled but was that due to good kicking skills or a bit of luck from the wind blowing it back to Lemmey? Unfortunately, the wind robbed Dow of a chance to prove himself.

Reply #50
From what I saw today I thought for the most part Dow's kicks were good.

Reply #51
EB I was mentioning him to you in the pre season. The kid has something. And has that bit of arrogance and swagger about him. Hes the type of kid we should be targeting not pretty boys or blokes with pre-existing knee injuries!
Shawny, Mark and kick player, is strongly built and plays like Fogarty of the Crows, needs to improve his ground game and get quicker. Everyone wants that Bailey Fritsch type player as the third forward who can mark the ball but also can be elusive at ground level and kick like an arrow. Stkilda got that player in Phillipou, I think Caddy isnt there yet...

Reply #52
What was the final score?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #53
Willi 80 - Carl 60

Reply #54
Remember that we already have a superior version of Bayley Fritsch: Charlie Curnow. Good in the air and on the ground. He’s pretty much the same height as Caddy: 194cm vs Caddy’s 192cm (while Fritsch is 188cm). The last thing we want is another marking forward competing with Harry and Charlie for marks.

Reply #55
Remember that we already have a superior version of Bayley Fritsch: Charlie Curnow. Good in the air and on the ground. He’s pretty much the same height as Caddy: 194cm vs Caddy’s 192cm (while Fritsch is 188cm). The last thing we want is another marking forward competing with Harry and Charlie for marks.

If it allows us to play Harry as a dedicated 2nd ruck, it'd be a path worth taking.

You can't have too much talent on your list, and talent he has.
Worry about his position later.

Reply #56
Some site called The Inner Sanctum opined that Caddy is at no.6 and that was before the VFL game. Fair chance he’ll be gone before we pick. I guess if you are a fan of Caddy (nephew of Richmond’s Josh Caddy), that will take the sting out of coming losses!

Reply #57
Some site called The Inner Sanctum opined that Caddy is at no.6 and that was before the VFL game. Fair chance he’ll be gone before we pick. I guess if you are a fan of Caddy (nephew of Richmond’s Josh Caddy), that will take the sting out of coming losses!

Bigger blokes with athleticism usually get picked up pretty early, but at pick 6 i'm not sure i'd pull the trigger on him.
Reckon we take a pure midfielder who can kick with our first pick.

Reply #58
We desperately need an explosive mid who can take the handball receive at stoppages and burst forwards. Dylan Shiel mightn’t be everyone’s cup of tea as he isn’t the hardest unit going around but he’d be perfect for us right now.

Reply #59
We desperately need an explosive mid who can take the handball receive at stoppages and burst forwards. Dylan Shiel mightn’t be everyone’s cup of tea as he isn’t the hardest unit going around but he’d be perfect for us right now.
Yep, outside mid who can run and kick.
#1 priority.