Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2023 Rd 4 Carlton vs Williamstown at Willi (Read 2562 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2023 Rd 4 Carlton vs Williamstown at Willi

Reply #60
Remember that we already have a superior version of Bayley Fritsch: Charlie Curnow. Good in the air and on the ground. He’s pretty much the same height as Caddy: 194cm vs Caddy’s 192cm (while Fritsch is 188cm). The last thing we want is another marking forward competing with Harry and Charlie for marks.
Fritsch is an entirely different player, he isnt a key position player...he is that mid size player who can take a mark but also has good ability on the deck and is a much better kick for goal than most in the league. Think he has performed well in finals and would be a welcome addition to our team and would probably take Jacks spot. He rarely competes with McDonald, Brown, Grundy down forward and plays in a leadup role away from the goal square.
Dylan Shiel???...you got to be kidding😂...another soft ineffective receiver on big money that cant kick straight....see Kelly, see Cogs, see Whitfield......all over rated. We need footballers, not show ponies.....

Reply #61
Fritsch is an entirely different player, he isnt a key position player...he is that mid size player who can take a mark but also has good ability on the deck and is a much better kick for goal than most in the league. Think he has performed well in finals and would be a welcome addition to our team and would probably take Jacks spot. He rarely competes with McDonald, Brown, Grundy down forward and plays in a leadup role away from the goal square.
Dylan Shiel???...you got to be kidding😂...another soft ineffective receiver on big money that cant kick straight....see Kelly, see Cogs, see Whitfield......all over rated. We need footballers, not show ponies.....
We don't need another medium forward flying against Charlie and Harry, we've already got SoJ dragging opponents into the marking contests.

Anyone who thought today might be different, must have felt their hearts fall out when they saw that first early marking contest, that something our blokes are doing deliberately!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #62
We don't need another medium forward flying against Charlie and Harry, we've already got SoJ dragging opponents into the marking contests.

Anyone who thought today might be different, must have felt their hearts fall out when they saw that first early marking contest, that something our blokes are doing deliberately!
Fritsch doesn't fly against the other tall forwards, he gives another option which we need and he is a way more reliable kick.I like JSOS but he isn't in the same parish as a forward as Fritsch....

Reply #63
Fritsch doesn't fly against the other tall forwards, he gives another option which we need and he is a way more reliable kick.I like JSOS but he isn't in the same parish as a forward as Fritsch....
Sos and Fritsch are both 3rd tall types, but different players.

IF we want to utilise SOS better, we need to use/push Harry/Charlie up the ground more and use them as a decoy to drag the 'good' defenders with them.
SOS against 3rd string defender will benefit.
Right now we just bomb it high and long and our blokes track the ball in the air and ultimately spoil eachother.
Deliberately separate them. We will have a beneficial matchup out of it, then exploit it....wherever the matchup is be that Harry, Charlie or Jack!

Reply #64

IF we want to utilise SOS better, we need to use/push Harry/Charlie up the ground more and use them as a decoy to drag the 'good' defenders with them.
SOS against 3rd string defender will benefit.
Right now we just bomb it high and long and our blokes track the ball in the air and ultimately spoil eachother.
Deliberately separate them. We will have a beneficial matchup out of it, then exploit it....wherever the matchup is be that Harry, Charlie or Jack!
I'd swap JSOS and McGovern and try and get a win from at least one of them.

Reply #65
I'd swap JSOS and McGovern and try and get a win from at least one of them.
My suggestion going into todays game was to drop Harry and play gov forward....bring in Kemp to cover Gov back.

Similar situation, but allows us to play 'smaller' up forward and less predictable.....allowing Kennedy to be a leading marking forward target as well.

Saw the MC try gov forward today, late, not sure it worked, but he may make way for Kemp next week....or marchbank soon enough.

Reply #66
My suggestion going into todays game was to drop Harry and play gov forward....bring in Kemp to cover Gov back.

Similar situation, but allows us to play 'smaller' up forward and less predictable.....allowing Kennedy to be a leading marking forward target as well.

Saw the MC try gov forward today, late, not sure it worked, but he may make way for Kemp next week....or marchbank soon enough.
I dont mind any of that but I want to keep Harry in the team and get him impacting, run him in the ruck, warm him up, start him on the bench perhaps, setup with Kennedy as the third tall forward.
We just need a fresh look and catalyst to get some players back into form and then we can move them back to their original positions. Dont gte what is going on with Young either and he seems devoid of confidence and looks shaky in a Plowman type of way. Im all for playing Kemp, didnt think he should have been dropped, we need to build a bigger pool of senior players so we can absorb injuries and have more options. Id be introducing Binns sooner than later too and maybe giving Hollands a rest this week, Binns has played as a small forward at U18 level and its time we got inventive and created some excitement rather than just the same old deckchairs in the same positions.

Reply #67
I dont mind any of that but I want to keep Harry in the team and get him impacting, run him in the ruck, warm him up, start him on the bench perhaps, setup with Kennedy as the third tall forward.
We just need a fresh look and catalyst to get some players back into form and then we can move them back to their original positions. Dont gte what is going on with Young either and he seems devoid of confidence and looks shaky in a Plowman type of way. Im all for playing Kemp, didnt think he should have been dropped, we need to build a bigger pool of senior players so we can absorb injuries and have more options. Id be introducing Binns sooner than later too and maybe giving Hollands a rest this week, Binns has played as a small forward at U18 level and its time we got inventive and created some excitement rather than just the same old deckchairs in the same positions.

Yep, Hollands needs a rest.
Ed can have a stint in the 2's
Young is underperforming and should be swapped out for Kemp.
Harry in the ruck would only be relief...and would spend most of the time sitting in the goalsquare or on the bench, so its basically whats happening now. I'd give him a 1 week rest to boost his confidence and bring him back.
Binns, i missed most of the first half today which is when he really dominated, but might be a time to bring him and dow in for hollands and Ed.
Durdin might miss too (leg?), rather than bring in Honey or Fisher, i'd go straight for Martin or Cuningham.

Reply #68
With the talent we had out there today, we should not have lost. However, that is where we are at, at the moment. We don't move the ball well, we go back or sideways instead of giving our forwards a chance. It is easy to see at either level and it is losing football.

Harry Lemmey had 5 possessions today. That isn't good enough. But when you move the ball forward like we do, it doesn't give him much of a chance. If we got the ball out of the middle and moved it quickly forward, who knows what he might do?

Josh Honey: if he has a future, it isn't as a small forward. He isn't kicking goals, he isn't putting enough pressure on to keep the ball in our forward line; he has no profile in the air. Play him in defence and see if he can pick a guy up. If he can't, we've lost nothing.

As for Dow, I'd give him a game simply to change things up. We've been awful out of the middle all year, so he can't do worse. If he can't make a contribution, then we know. But we need to make changes: what we're doing isn't working.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #69
Yep, Hollands needs a rest.
Ed can have a stint in the 2's
Young is underperforming and should be swapped out for Kemp.
Harry in the ruck would only be relief...and would spend most of the time sitting in the goalsquare or on the bench, so its basically whats happening now. I'd give him a 1 week rest to boost his confidence and bring him back.
Binns, i missed most of the first half today which is when he really dominated, but might be a time to bring him and dow in for hollands and Ed.
Durdin might miss too (leg?), rather than bring in Honey or Fisher, i'd go straight for Martin or Cuningham.
Like to see Cuningham back and down forward as he can kick goals and give us X factor......given up on Martin.

Reply #70
Like to see Cuningham back and down forward as he can kick goals and give us X factor......given up on Martin.

Great in theory. I'd love to see both fit and firing. They offer a different dimension if my memory serves me. Not so likely though, if the past is any indicator.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #71
Great in theory. I'd love to see both fit and firing. They offer a different dimension if my memory serves me. Not so likely though, if the past is any indicator.

To quote the 'super' ads (and i hope its accurate)

"Past performances are not a reliable indicator of future performance"

Reply #72
Cunningham? Hasn’t played football in what two years and even before that would flash in for 5 mins then be gone for the rest of the game. Was recruited as Jack Silvagni’s mate and was given plenty of chances. I feel sorry for his injuries no kid deserves his run but to say you would pick him in the ones when he’s not even in the two’s am I missing something? Who next Philp?