Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 10 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 5200 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 10 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #120
Liked Vossy's media after the game - more authentic/himself. He's had a gutfull of poor defensive efforts from the midfield.

POOR defensive efforts from the midfield would be an improvement over what is being offered in recent games.

Reply #121
POOR defensive efforts from the midfield would be an improvement over what is being offered in recent games.
What I find hardest to accept is that by definition we are a bigger bodied slow moving midfield, and skinny runners break our tackles too often and too easily?

When blokes like Cripps, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy, SoJ, Pitto or Walsh grab someone they should stay grabbed!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #122

For the Fluffy Ducks game: Out - Ed, JSOS, Hollands, Young & Durdin
In: TDK (for JSOS), Binns (for Hollands), Kemp (for Young), Cowan (for Ed) & Dow (for Durdin). Dow & Chugga changing midfield/half forward.

I would omit McGovern ahead of Lewis although I agree that Durdin should get some form in the VFL and that Ed's time is up.  Hollands could probably use a rest but I don't think he deserves to be dropped.

TDK is too talented to waste in the VFL - someone suggested playing him on the opposition's main tall defender (e.g. Moore) - not a bad idea and he could also serve as back-up ruckman - if the MC can't find a place for him they should resign, which they possibly should do anyway.
Kemp should not have been dropped after a couple of decent games and offers more than many others.
I think Binns has talent but I am unsure that he is ready for senior football.
Dow can find the footy but struggles to find a teammate under VFL pressure but very few of his clubmates are doing any better in the AFL - maybe he deserves promotion for effort (despite his limitations) - he certainly shows more than Fisher and Fogarty and many others -

Reply #123
First Rnd this season that I can't find a coaches vote for a Carlton player.

Media verballed the coach and captain by misrepresenting the argy bargy between Cripps and Voss, they used a clip of Voss from 5min into the first to assert it was somehow directly related to the Cripps Voss exchange more than 1/2-hour later. We have to expect that to happen.

Media piling on Weiters and McGovern, but when the opposition move the ball through the midfield like the Filth could, pretty much in a manner without challenge, the defenders have zero chance! That is the media beating up the Voss comments about "defending", comments which have almost nothing to do with the defenders.

When Mitch Robinson did as much to Malthouse it ended his Carlton career.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #124
First Rnd this season that I can't find a coaches vote for a Carlton player.

Media verballed the coach and captain by misrepresenting the argy bargy between Cripps and Voss, they used a clip of Voss from 5min into the first to assert it was somehow directly related to the Cripps Voss exchange more than 1/2-hour later. We have to expect that to happen.

Media piling on Weiters and McGovern, but when the opposition move the ball through the midfield like the Filth could, pretty much in a manner without challenge, the defenders have zero chance! That is the media beating up the Voss comments about "defending", comments which have almost nothing to do with the defenders.

When Mitch Robinson did as much to Malthouse it ended his Carlton career.
Weitering was terrible on Mihocek and couldnt keep up with him , his form has been down like Young for a while and his normally reliable kicking has deserted him.
McGovern didnt like the heat in battle or responsibility and his contesting work was embarrassing imho....when he put in the short steps and threw half an arm out in a feeble way he should have been dragged and told some home truths. Rather play Kemp, Cowan or Cincotta at least they will give effort and try.
I feel sorry for Voss having to front the media and defend players who wont give effort.....

Reply #125

McGovern didnt like the heat in battle or responsibility and his contesting work was embarrassing imho....when he put in the short steps and threw half an arm out in a feeble way he should have been dragged and told some home truths. Rather play Kemp, Cowan or Cincotta at least they will give effort and try.
I feel sorry for Voss having to front the media and defend players who wont give effort.....

Like x 100. Players who don't go 100% cannot be played, Acres and Motlop are on the border there as well.

Reply #126
On the kicking thing, not just our D50 but everybody, hardly any movement across the field, our slower heavier types are gasping for air trying to keep up with the zippy opposition, no movement equals no easy targets and that only makes turnovers more likely.

I watched at the weekend and saw a bunch of junior football rubbish. SoJ standing flat footed to receive and he's a 100 gamer! Motlop and Durdin dragging opponents into the space of Charlie or McKay on the lead. Loopy balloon like handballs in chains of play like the pill is made of concrete, leaving opponents time to close down space, similar kicks over just 15m or 20m, and missing 20m targets a plenty.

Guarding space with hands on hips and opponents 5m away, instead of working to create space for your team-mates by dragging your opponent somewhere the ball won't be.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #127
I must have a weird imagination

I've imagined that Harry must have fragile forehead syndrome.

It seems every second week BigH comes off the ground bleeding profusely from the eyebrow after a marking contest, without an associated free kick, must have headbutt a moth in flight. Similar troubles to aircraft at altitude!

He must also suffer short arm syndrome, at least not long enough arms to get a free for a chop of the arms, which is ironic given Charlie gets some of the same. Perhaps Harry just isn't tall enough! Mind you the Filth got 3 or 4 goals from the same, of course they do they were much more obvious than the 200 + Infinity centimetre player getting a punch in the elbow(aka ear)!

btw., Some of you may have noticed Cripps chopped across the arms twice in marking contests, no free.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #128
Our list is not good enough ( I wish people stop saying this )  the last 3 weeks prove it / last year. We need Austin to add some missing pieces to take next step . Trade / draft picks we need to nail them . 

Reply #129
Coaches' votes :

10 Darcy Moore (COLL)
8 Josh Daicos (COLL)
6 Brody Mihocek (COLL)
4 Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
1 Jordan De Goey (COLL)
1 Steele Sidebottom (COLL)

Ouch.

Reply #130
Our biggest problem is our best players are not doing any damage despite their stats.
Docherty, Cripps, Walsh and Wetering are our leaders and they show no direction out there. Malthouse said it before the game that Collingwood would show our boys what leadership looks like and he was spot on.

Agree.  A good example of brain fade by a senior player occurred in the second half when Docherty took possession in the centre following a turnover.  He ran to the half forward line and then, under no pressure, unloaded a long bomb deep into the forward line.

There was not one Carlton player within 40 metres but there were three Collingwood defenders, one of whom gratefully took a chest mark and drove the ball straight into attack.

I feel sorry for Voss.  He is being let down by senior players not setting an example for the team.

Reply #131
Agree.  A good example of brain fade by a senior player occurred in the second half when Docherty took possession in the centre following a turnover.  He ran to the half forward line and then, under no pressure, unloaded a long bomb deep into the forward line.

There was not one Carlton player within 40 metres but there were three Collingwood defenders, one of whom gratefully took a chest mark and drove the ball straight into attack.

I feel sorry for Voss.  He is being let down by senior players not setting an example for the team.

I'm pretty sure that Charlie had made  lead to about the 45 and was clear but was ignored.

Reply #132
That's my point. Docherty did not look to pick out  Carlton forwards, who were all gathered around the half forward line, but just blazed away.

Reply #133
Also, something that disgusted me on a personal level was how much our fans were bagging our players, and their approach at the actual game.  I was sitting in Row H.  Bottom deck behind the goals, and whilst I face palmed and groaned a lot about our method, the idea of a supporter is to support.  In good and bad times.  Not just bag our players incessently.  Its not on. 

There was one guy who was absolutely gushing about how good collingwood were, and I found myself looking at him, and wondering who he was there to support and found myself checking his beanie and club logo multiple times to double check.  Also, hearing frustrated fans line up our cheer squad was something else that I thought was quite poor.

If you don't like whats going on in the cheer squad, pay your money and front up.  Or start a chant somewhere.  Having a go at people is not on IMHO and I dont see the point of rocking up to bag our players and wax lyrically about how good the opposition are.  For anyone interested I was in M2 in the Shane Warne stand right next to our cheer squad.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #134
Nice post Thry.