Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 10 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 4903 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 10 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #150
I get fans think based on your posts you (@Kruddler) are a Pitto booster, but I realise what you are really doing is protecting SoJ. You need Pitto 1st rucking because if TDK plays and rests forward it won't be Cripps getting the chop from the F50 extra tall role, we can all see it coming, SoJ gets squeezed out, this is the way.

If we do what fans want and put a bullet in McGovern to keep SoJ via some weird and speculative reshuffle , we might was well shoot our own foot.

FFS, now some are calling for Weiters head, and SoJ just roles on unsupervised! :o

Personally I hope I'm wrong, I hope SoJ sticks fat at Carlton, comes good and enables us to rub his old man's face in it, but it's a wish not an expectation!
Jack probably needs a rest in the twos as he is completely out of form and McGovern needs a lesson in attacking the ball properly in the twos. Problem is as always we dont have a lot of depth with players knocking down the door in the twos and imho the main one is Kemp to replace McGovern. Id include TDK this week which probably means Jack having to kick the dew of the ground in the twos. I havent understood the MC's logic all year but I think we are at the stage where they might have to be a bit more lateral with their thinking and more inventive with selections in consultation with the coach who deserves better than what the players are giving as a collective.

Reply #151
From the Heraldsun

So here is the weirdest stat in footy. Carlton ranks No. 1 in the comp for contested possession differential but only 11th for clearance differential.

The Blues are third in the comp for winning first possession from a stoppage but are 16th from converting it into a pure clearance.

So the Blues win the first possession more than nearly every other team but can’t turn it into a clearance.

A fact that shouldn't surprise many people (except for old tin foil).

Pittonet gives us first use more than just about anyone.
Of course we have a contested bull who can win the 50-50 ball about as good as anyone too.
Our other mids are no slouches in this area either, so it stands to reason we manage to get our hands on it first pretty quickly.

The problem arises that we are under so much pressure, and lack significant leg speed to break away, and are such poor kicks that we struggle to capitalise on this.

Again, this shouldn't be such a shock.
Do we want Cripps kicking the ball? No.
Do we want Ed kicking the ball? No.
Can we kick to advantage of our players? No.

Tada, stats say exactly this.

Reply #153
Pathetic effort. Pies toyed with us and then took the foot off the gas.

Totally agree. It looked to me that the Collingwood players treated us with contempt and new that they had to do nothing to win. Why because they we would give the ball straight back to them when we had it and we would kick it long in to the forward line to our best player (sorry) their best defender in Moore.

Reply #155
https://omny.fm/shows/drive-with-tom-elliott/the-call-to-3aw-from-an-irate-carlton-fan-that-cau

Sigh. The worst type of supporter. Please get a refund, cancel your membership, and go support another club. it's only football, and your health is way more important than that.

Reply #156
https://omny.fm/shows/drive-with-tom-elliott/the-call-to-3aw-from-an-irate-carlton-fan-that-cau
Good ol Snapper.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #157
Sigh. The worst type of supporter. Please get a refund, cancel your membership, and go support another club. it's only football, and your health is way more important than that.
Its not the simple, footy is everything to some people. People are passionate, people are sick of the lack of success. Its not how I'd react but I get it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #158
Its not the simple, footy is everything to some people. People are passionate, people are sick of the lack of success. Its not how I'd react but I get it.

No doubt there are different perspectives. Some say he's passionate. I say he's ill informed, presumptuous and irrational, and endangering his own health. It's like I said earlier - some folks seem to be willing participants in an abusive relationship.

Reply #160
No doubt there are different perspectives. Some say he's passionate. I say he's ill informed, presumptuous and irrational, and endangering his own health. It's like I said earlier - some folks seem to be willing participants in an abusive relationship.

The funny thing is he wouldn't rate us as 'true' supporters.
He'd say we don't care enough.
That we accept mediocrity and are the worst thing that could happen to the club.
There are a whole range of emotions associated with supporting a football club.
Who is right and who is wrong is in the eyes of the beholder.
At the moment I suspect he's not Pat Malone.
We'll have a problem when there are even more Pats
And blokes like Tom Elliott will kick it along.

Reply #161
The funny thing is he wouldn't rate us as 'true' supporters.
He'd say we don't care enough.
That we accept mediocrity and are the worst thing that could happen to the club.
There are a whole range of emotions associated with supporting a football club.
Who is right and who is wrong is in the eyes of the beholder.
At the moment I suspect he's not Pat Malone.
We'll have a problem when there are even more Pats
And blokes like Tom Elliott will kick it along.

I agree. He probably does think those things. But I'm not convinced that type of behaviour is anything other than selfish. I don't believe it leads to anything good. I don't believe it represents any real understanding of football clubs, or football players or football in general. It's just a selfish vent. Supporters need to accept their agency and be more responsible. Those types of outbursts lead to coach sackings and more. People from the club read the temperature of the room from many sources : forums like this, direct contact from fans, talkback radio (God forbid) etc.

Reply #162
I agree. He probably does think those things. But I'm not convinced that type of behaviour is anything other than selfish. I don't believe it leads to anything good. I don't believe it represents any real understanding of football clubs, or football players or football in general. It's just a selfish vent. Supporters need to accept their agency and be more responsible. Those types of outbursts lead to coach sackings and more. People from the club read the temperature of the room from many sources : forums like this, direct contact from fans, talkback radio (God forbid) etc.

I don't understand your saying it's a selfish vent.  He sounds like a long-time supporter who has bought into the current message of the club that we are finally on the up and up, and based on that information he has parted with hard earned cash for membership.

And has the club delivered?  Definitely not.  The Collingwood game was more of the same litany of basic skill errors, the usual brain fades etc, delivered by a team that had no pride and for the most part seemed detached from proceedings.

Fans such as Snapper help fill the financial coffers of clubs.  If the Carlton side keeps presenting at future matches with the same apathetic attitude then the club may get a rude awakening at the end of the season when it calls on members to dip into their wallets for next year's membership.

Reply #163
I don't understand your saying it's a selfish vent.  He sounds like a long-time supporter who has bought into the current message of the club that we are finally on the up and up, and based on that information he has parted with hard earned cash for membership.

And has the club delivered?  Definitely not.  The Collingwood game was more of the same litany of basic skill errors, the usual brain fades etc, delivered by a team that had no pride and for the most part seemed detached from proceedings.

Fans such as Snapper help fill the financial coffers of clubs.  If the Carlton side keeps presenting at future matches with the same apathetic attitude then the club may get a rude awakening at the end of the season when it calls on members to dip into their wallets for next year's membership.

I don't agree that the players are apathetic and I don't believe they lack pride. And I don't believe that the genuine efforts of dozens upon dozens of people at the club should be denigrated by that sort of nonsense. There is no doubt in my mind that the players and coaches carry the hurt way more than armchair experts. One must legitimately ask what a membership fee, entry to the game etc., actually buys you. It doesn't buy you the right to spout dribble, or to insult and belittle others and treat them like sh1t.

In a commercial, competitive environment, clubs are in the business of selling hope. Hope can be the allure of playing finals, it can be the allure of a top coach, young No1 draft pick etc. Clubs will always try to give supporters some reason to believe. You won't ever find a club that will tell you this season will be a write off, don't bother, come back next year. I don't believe everything the club says - why can't Mr Snapper apply some very basic critical thinking skills and wait until he sees some evidence of improvement before he parts with is hard earned ? Oh wait, he's from talkback land, so.............

I am 100% convinced that players, coaches and clubs in general must find supporters to be a mixed blessing.

Reply #164
There is no doubt in my mind that the players and coaches carry the hurt way more than armchair experts.

I'm not sure about that part.
For some supporters the Carlton football club is a large part of their life from their earliest memories until the day they die.
They'll perform 'lucky' rituals on match days, cry after losses, name their pets and children for favourite players, struggle to go to work on Mondays after a loss and tip over the water cooler if someone says the wrong thing.
The club song will be played at their funeral and they'll be buried in their polos, jumpers and scarfs.
(But that's just me) ;D

Players and coaches are just employees.
Many supported or played for other sides before they came to Carlton, some will play for other teams when they leave.
Some will eventually become rusted on.
They'll be the face of Carlton, they'll treasure the memories and turn up to flag reunions, but in a lot of cases the bonds they form will be for other team-mates rather than the club.
They'll hurt in losses for that reason, not for the love of a jumper.
Some will have very short careers.
Their feelings for the club will be transient.
They'll laugh with the opposition after games, while the fans cry in the stands.