Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 10 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 5121 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 10 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #45
True - the list is more than good enough to play finals.
Ill beg to differ.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #46
Not sure how this is Voss and the list as just missed playing finals last season.

I think the team is 2 x high quality small forwards short of a flag but to make 8-6th more than good enough imo.

Reply #47
My feeling is that since Parkin and Brittain empowered the players they've had a bit too much influence on coaching decisions.
I think it's been a  major issue for us.
It was particularly evident during the Pagan/Kouta period and it was probably a cultural thing that was enhanced as each generation of players came to the club.
Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson etc would have walked into this environment where players sometimes called the shots and sunk a coach's tenure.
Cripps in his early days would also have experienced this ongoing culture thingy with senior palyers calling the tune.
Has it had an influence.
Has it affected decisions regarding coaching.
If so, it's a cycle that needs to be broken.
The coach needs to be "The Man"

Reply #48
Not sure how this is Voss and the list as just missed playing finals last season.

I think the team is 2 x high quality small forwards short of a flag but to make 8-6th more than good enough imo.

Then we should win next week no problems right?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #49
Pathetic effort. Pies toyed with us and then took the foot off the gas.
Yep, they were laughing and joking as they moved around the ground, even when we put the brakes on they were going half-ar5ed and we were flat chat.

Love the heart and soul that SoJ brings, but if that is to be his role he may as well be played in the VFL, it's just pointless. That moment I think late in the 3rd says it all, gets a perfectly weighted pass from somebody off the HBF, and stood there waiting for the pill to come to him which was intercepted, that's junior football rubbish.

Took the best part of 3-qtrs before Pitto took a D50 mark, it's his gig and we messed it up completely.

Our MC got the rope-a-dope with Cameron, and confirmed we are the dopes!

We actually did OK at stopping the run of the Filth, opposition clubs will look at that knowing we aren't that fast, it'll work for others. Saad and Doc burnt a lot of footy, as did Boyd early but he found his feet.

Acres is off the boil, no point playing a bloke just to prove he was worth the trade.

We've a big bodied Midfield, and I was very disappointed that we didn't reduce the influence of De Goey more.

Young is off the boil as well, has good moments but they come at a price. Teams are structuring up so that Young becomes our free KPD, and it's not working for us, he's not a particularly good ball user and is slow to act. I hope he watched Moore and took notes!

Not getting anywhere near enough out of Motlop or Durdin, they are two permanent passengers at the moment.

Not sure what is wrong with Cripps, huge heart, love the effort, but I can't see the point of arguing with the coach on the boundary line, not sure any of our players have enough credits to question Voss credentials, Bolton maybe, Teague probably not, Voss definitely not, makes me think of Teague again!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Basically as expected. Not at the level necessary to compete in a big match at the start of the match. Can't hit targets coming out of defence, in the midfield or going into the forward line. Poor decision making, not enough run, playing as individuals, no overall game plan, no trust in one another, no one knows what their team mates will do with the ball, lack of pace in ball movement and across the ground and no one plays with passion and flair.
There is no future in McGovern, Silvagni has never kicked a bag of goals in over 100 games.Time to go back. Bring TDK into the side as a forward ruck.  If we are going to keep kicking it long into the forward line at least he would give us a third target. Need to bring in Fisher and Dow. At least they have pace. Not sure Curnow and Hewitt can play in the same side. Durden and Acres might need a rest.
When will it end. When will a Carlton team make a real change at it. I can't remember when we were better in the second half of the season than the first. This does not bode well for the future.

Reply #52
Basically as expected. Not at the level necessary to compete in a big match at the start of the match. Can't hit targets coming out of defence, in the midfield or going into the forward line. Poor decision making, not enough run, playing as individuals, no overall game plan, no trust in one another, no one knows what their team mates will do with the ball, lack of pace in ball movement and across the ground and no one plays with passion and flair.
There is no future in McGovern, Silvagni has never kicked a bag of goals in over 100 games.Time to go back. Bring TDK into the side as a forward ruck.  If we are going to keep kicking it long into the forward line at least he would give us a third target. Need to bring in Fisher and Dow. At least they have pace. Not sure Curnow and Hewitt can play in the same side. Durden and Acres might need a rest.
When will it end. When will a Carlton team make a real change at it. I can't remember when we were better in the second half of the season than the first. This does not bode well for the future.
Fisher was bloody aweful in the 3 qtrs I watched, dont know how he went in the 4th but the first three were definitely sub standard. If Durds is injured then maybe he fills a spot but his form doesn't warrant it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #53
He's on coach no 4, Ed C on his 5th. Just saying.

That's got to be a record. Just not the right kind of record 😕
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #54
Game was over 10 minutes into the first quarter.

If we sack another coach, then we should be going with a playing coach. 

We've exhausted all other options.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #56

And we did it last year with half a side most weeks.

Reply #57
Yep
It may be time to give Cripps a change of scenery.

Seriously, I'm not sure there was a lot in it but we'll put our own interpretations on it.

There's a general feeling that Cripps may have played a large part in Teague's demise.
That could also extend to Bolton.
But that's speculation.

What is probably not speculation is that Cripps wields a lot of influence over the playing group.

If it did come to a showdown it may be that the Captain moves this time rather than the coach.

But as I said that's speculation, maybe even wild speculation.

I got lambasted for suggesting the same thing last time.
Someone even brought it up last week.

Sometimes your greatest strength is also your greatest weakness.

No cripps, no carlton? Maybe. Maybe not.

TBH, i didn't see the exchange between the 2, but this is (at least) the second time its been speculated on, most likely the third.
Cripps or not, players have always held too much sway at the club when looking at coaches.
Once is an accident. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is a pattern.

We are up to what....#5 now?
I'm sure that saying extends to "Five times and its clear as f***ing day what the problem is!"

Whether Cripps is a problem or not, the coach is the one we should build around as a good one can outlive each and every player you have at the club.
Look at the premiership winning coaches of the past 20 years. All but a select few have won a flag in their 4th year (or longer) as head coach.
The only exceptions to that rule is...
Chris Scott - He took over a premiership calibre team from Bomber and won in his first year.
John Longmire - Long-term understudy to Paul Roos who was transitioned from senior assistant into Full-time head coach over seasons but won in his second(?) year as actual coach.
Luke Beveridge - He won in his second year but only finished 7th on the ladder. Never finished top 4 and has only won a final (albeit 3) in one other season in his 9 seasons as coach.

So....you need to back a coach in and work around him.
I'm not sure we have the balls, or the patience, to actually do that.

Reply #58
I got lambasted for suggesting the same thing last time.
Someone even brought it up last week.

Sometimes your greatest strength is also your greatest weakness.

No cripps, no carlton? Maybe. Maybe not.

TBH, i didn't see the exchange between the 2, but this is (at least) the second time its been speculated on, most likely the third.
Cripps or not, players have always held too much sway at the club when looking at coaches.
Once is an accident. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is a pattern.

We are up to what....#5 now?
I'm sure that saying extends to "Five times and its clear as f***ing day what the problem is!"

Whether Cripps is a problem or not, the coach is the one we should build around as a good one can outlive each and every player you have at the club.
Look at the premiership winning coaches of the past 20 years. All but a select few have won a flag in their 4th year (or longer) as head coach.
The only exceptions to that rule is...
Chris Scott - He took over a premiership calibre team from Bomber and won in his first year.
John Longmire - Long-term understudy to Paul Roos who was transitioned from senior assistant into Full-time head coach over seasons but won in his second(?) year as actual coach.
Luke Beveridge - He won in his second year but only finished 7th on the ladder. Never finished top 4 and has only won a final (albeit 3) in one other season in his 9 seasons as coach.

So....you need to back a coach in and work around him.
I'm not sure we have the balls, or the patience, to actually do that.

We've only had 1 out of our last 4 coaches (includes voss) make it past year 2 without being declared a failure and pretty sure Bolton was on thin ice when it happened. 

Just remember I called it first.  Voss has 4 weeks left.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #59
When was the Voss Cripps exchange? I’d like to go back and see it.