Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 10 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 4899 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 10 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #15
The usual suspects like Moore killed us again.  12 intercept marks.  That's unacceptable.

As a club we have the football IQ of a simpleton.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #16
As people have stated, our delivery into F50 is awful.  That's a coaching issue. So DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT Voss.

If players can't deliver the ball into F50, then F them off and get some one who can

Seriously, why can't these idiots spot up somebody else other than bombing it to Charlie and Harry...surely JSOS and the others are making position!?! 

Part of the problem when we do go forward is that Durdin, Motlop and Owies seem to go missing, allowing the backs to clear the ball away under little if any pressure, and we are in trouble again.

While we have to rely on Charlie and H to do most of the work then the ball is directed to them and we become so predictable.

Also, our poor kicking for goal from set shots is a morale killer.

Reply #17
It seems to me that the players lack self belief for whatever reason.  First half was awful very fumbly and passive.

Seemed to get agro after half time  and although we lacked the class to really turn things around were a lot more competitive and upset the pies apple art and hit them hard.

Clearly we have to go out and bash up the swans on Friday, show them we mean business and reckon we will win. 

Reply #18
Part of the problem when we do go forward is that Durdin, Motlop and Owies seem to go missing, allowing the backs to clear the ball away under little if any pressure, and we are in trouble again.

While we have to rely on Charlie and H to do most of the work then the ball is directed to them and we become so predictable.

Yep.....total reliance on Harry and Charlie to kick a score....our other forwards just dont touch the ball enough.
Owies at least gives you bang for buck when he does get it, he can kick straight but the others are just passengers....

Reply #19
We gave DM the all time record for intercept marks. That's how dumb we are, says it all really..

Reply #20
Do okay when ball is in dispute - but ball movement needs alot of work.
Small forwards only burst run when ball is in vicinity but you never see them sustain run create space and sustain run to fall of the ball. They are just dumb spreaders
Some of the forward 50 entries were diabolical. Filth is just a better team - Mihocek kicking 4 goals straight all of them easy is a worrying sign.
TDK was good in VFL think he needs to come straight in.

Reply #21
The usual suspects like Moore killed us again.  12 intercept marks.  That's unacceptable.

I think attention has to turn to the coaching box...same opposition players beating us and we just play the same ineffective game plan over using the ball and wasting entry time and opportunities.

Reply #22

I think we need to work in tandem somewhat.

Make sure Charlie has a shadow, and Harry has a shadow.
Ensure neither of them are targeted without one of our smalls ready to pounce at their feet.

A couple time we went to Harry when he was 1-on-1 and he failed to mark. 99 times out of 100, he loses once the ball is dropped. We must have a small forward with him to mop up.
Similarly with Charlie, although he is a bit better on the ground, just not as good as required.

Of course we can use this to our advantage and have Harry block for our small forwards who can find space themselves and we kick to them instead.

But, it should all start by 'pairing' a small forward with a key forward.

Reply #23
Moore taking a record number of IMs?
 Suggests that the coaching group and MC can't learn. Even dumb supporters like us foresaw the issues....why the F can't the club?   I don't want to execute another coach but I'm seeing nothing that says stay the course with the current bloke - I've completely lost faith that this bloke has any idea what he's doing.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #24
Moore taking a record number of IMs?
 Suggests that the coaching group and MC can't learn. Even dumb supporters like us foresaw the issues....why the F can't the club?   I don't want to execute another coach but I'm seeing nothing that says stay the course with the current bloke - I've completely lost faith that this bloke has any idea what he's doing.

Sack another coach? He is a good leader of men - just need to work with him to conjure a game plan that suits the players.

They need to get a move on though.

Reply #25
Moore taking a recore number of IMs?
 Suggests that the coaching group and MC can't learn. Even dumb supporters like us foresaw the issues....why the F can't the club?   I don't want to execute another coach but I'm seeing nothing that says stay the course with the current bloke - I've completely lost faith that this bloke as any idea what he's doing.
Prof, Im looking at the other assistant coaches...Voss isnt a great tactician and never was at Brisbane but you rely on your assistants to provide you with ideas and info and we just seem to do the same stuff every week in fact and make the same mistakes.

Reply #26
Tend to agree that we let the usual suspects Sidebum, Pebbles etc carve us up we should have a plan for them or maybe they are just too good..

Reply #27
Oh well, such is life. I'll start by saying I'm pretty sure I watched the premiers live today. The are one hell of a football side. They run in pairs, there are nearly always 2 players to receive  and then multiple options to give to. They are supremely confident in leaving their man, hitting a target anywhere on the ground and they read the incoming ball like freaks. Moore was BOG for mine, if he was a fwd he would have kicked a big bag of goals. He is doing what Weiters was doing all year last year, Moore will be the AA FB this year.
Us. It could have been alot worse. Our defence was super shoddy early but settled to be a little better in the second half. Weiters is totally bereft of any confidence, he would have a spell but there is no one in the 2s to replace him. The 50m penalties we gave away (Hollands and Boyd) which resulted in goals where unforgivable, the dumbest, undisciplined acts I have seen in a long time. They are good at scoring, we dont need to give them a leg up.
Walsh I felt had a dirty day, was very messy and was under pressure alot. Ditto Saad.
I thought Doc and Cez were our best by long way, put in for 4 qtrs and never gave up.
When I saw H nail that first goal, I thought that's exactly what he needed. In the end their defence was too good.
Pitto toiled away all day, I still think in an ideal world, Pitto and TDK in peak form can be a 1 -2 combo that can trouble side. They key to that though is they have to be able to go fwd (or back) and do damage there. I'd almost give Weiters a spell (time away) and TDK his roll.
I tried to be positive, I genuinely thought if we played our best we could have had a shot, in the end, we just weren't good enough.
Thats about it.
Onto next week. I am hanging onto a theory/hope that we will be much better after the bye, that is we are saving our best, run and gun footy for the second half of the year (ie opposite to last year). Hears hoping.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #28
Sack another coach? He is a good leader of men - just need to work with him to conjure a game plan that suits the players.

They need to get a move on though.

Thing is though the review 2 years ago that had Teague sacked demanded we make finals. If we finish, say, 11th, as we are now, there's very little chance of Voss surviving based on that. Finals were an expectancy from the Board.

Reply #29

Ahem, 17 intercepts he had.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time