Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney (Read 5693 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #150
There are a few names that are royalty at Princes Park and the thought of SOJ running around in other colours doesn't thrill me what so ever. I'm still getting over Jezza and more recently Waite leaving us.
SOJ plays his best ball as the 3rd tall in the fwd line. And our fwd line operates better when he is there because he has to attract a decent backman. Running him around as a ruckman does his game no benefit.

For sure, running him around in the ruck was a terrible mistake. But even as a 3rd tall, he's struggled. We desperately need leg speed, everywhere... and Jack is just too slow and as an inside mid, you can get away with being slow, but nowhere else. He's probably our slowest forward, which gives his opponent the opportunity to run off him and create a forward entry.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #151
For sure, running him around in the ruck was a terrible mistake. But even as a 3rd tall, he's struggled. We desperately need leg speed, everywhere... and Jack is just too slow and as an inside mid, you can get away with being slow, but nowhere else. He's probably our slowest forward, which gives his opponent the opportunity to run off him and create a forward entry.
For a slow fwd, he still takes alot of marks for set shots. Pity he misses more than he should.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #152
Correct ........... if his name was Jack Shiitt we would be looking at him through a completely different lens.

Possibly.

But....what do we want from our footballers on a weekly basis?
Obviously we all want to win, but as long as we put up a good fight and give 100%, then we can generally accept that.
There are many players who fail to live up to this 'bare minimum' of giving 100%.
SOJ could never be criticised for that though.
He was also taken at pick 54 and i'm not sure any of us expected him to make much of himself.

He has outperformed everyones expectations of him and despite his shortcomings, give effort 100% of the time.

If we had a few more with the same attitude, we'd be in the 8.

So Jack Silvagni, schitt, or whichever version you want to go with. He still provides us with a lot of other players don't or can't.
So he deserves credit for that, not just his surname.
Don't agree....how is Ben going?

Reply #153
regarding Jack if he wants to leave at the end of the year and we receive something we like well time to depart ,but i would not be shopping him around i would keep him .

Reply #154
For a slow fwd, he still takes alot of marks for set shots. Pity he misses more than he should.

That's Jack's main problem at the moment; if he had converted more of his opportunities, he'd probably still be in the 22.

For a slowish forward he still manages to catch opponents and, of our forwards, only Durdin and Motlop have stuck more tackles than Jack - not that I expect Harry and Charlie to focus on tackling.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #155
That's Jack's main problem at the moment; if he had converted more of his opportunities, he'd probably still be in the 22.

For a slowish forward he still manages to catch opponents and, of our forwards, only Durdin and Motlop have stuck more tackles than Jack - not that I expect Harry and Charlie to focus on tackling.
Yes I was thinking he has second, third and fourth efforts unlike a few others.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #156
Hope JSOS is the sub tonight. His last couple of weeks haven't been great but doubt there's many others who bust a gut like he does. Against the Dogs I think it was, took a couple of great contested marks in the backline early. He's a strong overhead mark for his size and if his kicking for goal was better, we'd be talking about him in a different light. Chases and tackles hard....sometimes the little things that go unnoticed. He's been asked to ruck undersized a lot in the last couple of seasons and without wanting to go down the whole ruck debate here, IMO that has worked against him. Personally, I'd rather have him as a permanent forward rather than the 3 smalls playing at the same time.

Reply #157
Jack's played 100 games for us.
I doubt his name has had a lot to do with that.
I do think supporters sometimes judge him both positively and negatively on his name.
But he's earned games on his attitude and work rate...if not ability
He also has the odd game where he does display some strong patches of play.
I wouldn't be surprised to find him well up in the rankings in terms of goal assists and score involvements for our side.
Others with perhaps greater skills and upside struggle to displace him.
So he's been best 22(3) up until now.

I'm not sure what will happen with him at the end of the season.
I'd like to think he'll be a one club player, but it won't be the end of the world if he moves to another side...even the best of 'ours' have done that.
The thing is, if he stays, we'll have a pretty good side if Jack Silvagni isn't in the selection discussion.

Reply #158
Hope JSOS is the sub tonight. His last couple of weeks haven't been great but doubt there's many others who bust a gut like he does. Against the Dogs I think it was, took a couple of great contested marks in the backline early. He's a strong overhead mark for his size and if his kicking for goal was better, we'd be talking about him in a different light. Chases and tackles hard....sometimes the little things that go unnoticed. He's been asked to ruck undersized a lot in the last couple of seasons and without wanting to go down the whole ruck debate here, IMO that has worked against him. Personally, I'd rather have him as a permanent forward rather than the 3 smalls playing at the same time.
Surfie I get all that, but even as a permanent fwd, he just doesn't hit the score board hard enough IMO. Sure does all the hard stuff but scoring? Not enough to warrant a spot in the fwd line.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #159
So he deserves credit for that, not just his surname.
Nobody has stated he's getting a gig was undeserved, but that doesn't take away from his recent ineffectiveness in some of the roles the club has asked him to do, it's not his fault, it's MC stupidity!

Fans calling for him to be 2nd ruck better hope they do not get what they are asking for, I've written it before and I'll write it again the ruck is prematurely ending his career and not through injury. If he is going to be purely judged in our playing him as a ruck it's slur on his good name, because despite all the good effort he brings he is not up to it!

He can be an effective HFF, Wing or perhaps even a tagger. All roles he has done well in, but in 2023 under the way the game is being adjudicated ruck is over as an option for him.

We(Carlton) hurt a lot of players by not managing them in a horses for coarses approach, in my opinion Scott at the Handbaggers are the best in the business at having the right player in the right role and managing them through the season. I hope Cook brings some of it and makes players understand they can't all be the big show!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #160
Nobody has stated he's getting a gig was undeserved, but that doesn't take away from his recent ineffectiveness in some of the roles the club has asked him to do, it's not his fault, it's MC stupidity!

Fans calling for him to be 2nd ruck better hope they do not get what they are asking for, I've written it before and I'll write it again the ruck is prematurely ending his career and not through injury. If he is going to be purely judged in our playing him as a ruck it's slur on his good name, because despite all the good effort he brings he is not up to it!

He can be an effective HFF, Wing or perhaps even a tagger. All roles he has done well in, but in 2023 under the way the game is being adjudicated ruck is over as an option for him.

We(Carlton) hurt a lot of players by not managing them in a horses for coarses approach, in my opinion Scott at the Handbaggers are the best in the business at having the right player in the right role and managing them through the season. I hope Cook brings some of it and makes players understand they can't all be the big show!

You seem to think 2nd ruck is his primary focus. Its not.
He plays there for (at most) 1/4 of the game.
He spends slightly less time on the bench.
But over half his game is played in his primary role of forward.

Do we use him well enough as a forward....not really. We don't target him much at all as we are too Charlie/Harry focused.

If we played him out of the square (with his 3rd defender) and cleared some room for him, and actually kicked him the ball, he'd go ok. But thats not what we do.
We expect him to get the ball the hard way...off the deck, or through defensive efforts.

I'd like to see a breakdown of forward 50 targets of all our forwards. I suspect that Jack and the 3 small forwards combine for less than 1/3 of all targets, possibly less than 1/4, with the 2 big blokes getting up to 2/3->3/4's of the targets.

Makes it hard for him to have an impact in his primary role when they don't kick him the ball.

Reply #161
You seem to think 2nd ruck is his primary focus. Its not.
He plays there for (at most) 1/4 of the game.
In a bad 1/4 of a game our day is often done, so I don't think we need to go further than that in analysis! ;)

AFL is hard enough without given the opposition a 1/4 head start, regardless of whether it's the 1st-1/4 or the Last-1/4!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #162
In a bad 1/4 of a game our day is often done, so I don't think we need to go further than that in analysis! ;)

AFL is hard enough without given the opposition a 1/4 head start, regardless of whether it's the 1st-1/4 or the Last-1/4!

You do realise its for 5 minutes at a time, not an entire quarter block right.

Reply #163
You do realise its for 5 minutes at a time, not an entire quarter block right.
I'm a bit vague, getting old, but was that 3 or 4 Filth goals in the 5 minutes while SoJ rucked? :o

It's absurd that you are prepared to surrender even 5 minutes to create a role for SoJ.

AFL isn't a charity, we don't want everyone to have a fair go, we want to dominate the opposition all day every day, not give them a holiday once a quarter!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #164
I'm a bit vague, getting old, but was that 3 or 4 Filth goals in the 5 minutes while SoJ rucked? :o

It's absurd that you are prepared to surrender even 5 minutes to create a role for SoJ.

AFL isn't a charity, we don't want everyone to have a fair go, we want to dominate the opposition all day every day, not give them a holiday once a quarter!

Their first goal from that run...
1. Jack lost the hitout and we lost the clearance
But we won back possession at HB, and then gave away a free kick and a 50m penalty. NOT Jacks fault.

2. Jack won the hitout, they got the ball and the clearance....and a goal. Walsh was ball watching while his opponent left him and read it better.

3. Jack lost the hitout. Went to ground. Cripps was on Nick Daicos who just let him go, and couldn't go with him who picked it up off the bounce and was away. Cripps was poor in this instance. Ball pinged around for 5 minutes before they got a goal, ultimately from cripps turnover (on which Jack used his smarts to tap to advantage in a 50-50 contest).

But sure, lets blame Jack for all of that.