Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney (Read 5751 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 11 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #45
How can a bloke get 40+ regularly at VFL, has size and pace and still not get a look in...and he didn't sook it up like a few on the list do. Sure his kicking isn't the greatest but it isn't that bad from what I've seen, and if he has it the opposition don't. 

But hey, let's keep going with a truly horrid ball user like Ed, and George, who has stunk it up this season. Chuck in "deadly" who wouldn't chase a pizza truck and we just carry the same old passengers every bloody week.
Not playing Dow is indeed a mystery.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #46
The VFL stats only tell part of the story, they don't publicly report DE% for the VFL but if Dow cracks 50% or more it would be a surprise. I wouldn't be surprised to find his DE% is sub-40%.

I've watched him win the footy time after time, and miss targets time after time, fans make generalised statements like, "It's not that bad" because they remember the odd highlight at VFL and at VFL it often doesn't cost.

But in AFL that 50% or 60% miss rate against good teams rips your heart out and beats you with the soggy end!

At AFL level we already struggle to deal with turnovers and we often go at 60% DE or better, we need players who make the DE even better not worse! Put Dow at somewhere like the Filth and he would be a ball winning star, he might be a great replacement for Mitchell, because he would be surrounded by elite ball users.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
Sorry, I watch games too and hes not that bad so I call bulldust.  If he was so crap why wasn't he culled two years ago?

The side is screaming for breakaway pace from stoppages, what have we got to lose here?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #48
We should...
Drop McGovern for not putting his glass body on the line.
Drop Durdin for being a spectator

Bring in Kemp to the backline, should never have been dropped.
JSOS to backline, needs to improve his confidence
Young to the Fwd line, has great hands and is a decent kick.
Kennedy to Fwd line, can kick goals and we need a mid sized fwd.
Motlop to on the ball, give him freedom, he has the tools.
Cincotta to backline, I like his old school approach
Cowan in, another no nonsense footballer
Boyd stays, did nothing wrong last game and can only improve
McKay to follow Franklin, might learn something.
TDK to come in as well.
(Probably have too many players in but...)

Get them to enjoy the game again, have fun, attack, attack. Small ground.
Honour the fwds leads. Although the fwds will have to lead for this to happen. We did this relly well against Wet Toast.
Have crumbers goal side of the contest, we ALWAYS have no one and they get it out too easily.
Kick to ADVANTAGE. Curnow and McKay one on one will win every time. If it is kicked on their heads it is a lottery.

Play for the team. Rewards for the 1%ers and goal assists.
Run hard when you have the ball AND run harder when you don't have the ball
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #49
Inventing roles for SoJ and Young won't fix our problems.

If you want Kemp in then give SoJ the flick and bring Kemp straight into the F50.

McKay to follow Franklin, might learn something.
Kick to ADVANTAGE. Curnow and McKay one on one will win every time. If it is kicked on their heads it is a lottery.
McKay must be a miracle worker, can be at both ends, one following Franklin and the other winning one on ones every time, unless you think he's a certainty to defeat Franklin one on one in our D50 every time.

I'd be happy to see McKay defeat Franklin one on one just once! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
Inventing roles for SoJ and Young won't fix our problems.

If you want Kemp in then give SoJ the flick and bring Kemp straight into the F50.
McKay must be a miracle worker, can be at both ends, one following Franklin and the other winning one on ones every time, unless you think he's a certainty to defeat Franklin one on one in our D50 every time.

I'd be happy to see McKay defeat Franklin one on one just once! :o

Because everything else is working really well at the moment too?
Inventing a role for Liam Jones in the backline was a bridge to far as well?
McKay is probably our best defensive forward. Has great closing speed and tackles well. Get his mind off the stress of kicking goals to win games (even though that is his job)
Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results...... :o

Reply #51
Because everything else is working really well at the moment too?
Inventing a role for Liam Jones in the backline was a bridge to far as well?
McKay is probably our best defensive forward. Has great closing speed and tackles well. Get his mind off the stress of kicking goals to win games (even though that is his job)
Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results...... :o
No matter, he won't be winning everything one on one next to Charlie and trailing Franklin around at the other end at the same time.

McKay and Charlie are both Coleman medallists, so it makes a lot of sense to turn either of them into B-Grade defenders, apparently Carlton is the only team in the AFL where fans think being a Coleman medallist isn't good enough to cut it as a forward!

Just leave the B-Grade Defenders we've already got in place, because moving Young up the other end won't help our forwards to get closer to the sprayed delivery. No matter how poor some might think McGovern(aka The new Plowman) or Young have been, I'm betting they are an arm and a leg ahead of two newbies like SoJ or McKay as one on one defenders.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
Over the past few years our marketing department has done a magnificent job selling memberships based on unrealistic expectations.

A coach can only do so much with a list that has too many players lacking  basic skills and grey matter. 

Also, the combination of lack of player development and recruitment of players with known physical problems has delivered us a coach killing list.

Reply #53
You having a bad day LP? ;)

Reply #54
When does Carlton losing lead to a Good Day?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
Over the past few years our marketing department has done a magnificent job selling memberships based on unrealistic expectations.

A coach can only do so much with a list that has too many players lacking  basic skills and grey matter. 

Also, the combination of lack of player development and recruitment of players with known physical problems has delivered us a coach killing list.
At the moment some of our best players are our worst ball users. Some of the role players fans like to whip are our best ball users.

It's a volatile and destructive mix, because to fix the problem quickly we basically have to self-harm, or we can climb out which is inherently slower!

Anyone who thinks our problems are at either end of the ground is a sucker for the media spin, you've got a bunch of AFL has-beens commentating who would all want Charlie, Harry or Weiters lining up at their own club without hesitation. The only way they can possibly have a chance for that to happen is to turn those players in pariahs at Carlton, devalue them, and based on the Carlton fan reaction they are doing so very very well.

If you put these media schmucks on the spot and ask them if they want those players at their club they all turn into church mice, it's a huge tell!

If fans want to give up drinking somebodies bathwater, they should give up the bathwater of the media norbits they have been listening to.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
When does Carlton losing lead to a Good Day?
Sorry Spotted one.
I'll just wait until I come up with an idea the same as yours!  :D

Reply #57
Sorry, I watch games too and hes not that bad so I call bulldust.  If he was so crap why wasn't he culled two years ago?

The side is screaming for breakaway pace from stoppages, what have we got to lose here?
Dow doesn't have breakaway pace; he might gain a step on an opponent if he has a moving start but he is often caught or put under pressure - this is part of the reason for his poor kicking.  The lack of breakaway pace is also evident from his inability to catch anyone he chases (if he provides anything more than a token chase).

Reply #58
Dow doesn't have breakaway pace; he might gain a step on an opponent if he has a moving start but he is often caught or put under pressure - this is part of the reason for his poor kicking.  The lack of breakaway pace is also evident from his inability to catch anyone he chases (if he provides anything more than a token chase).
Agreed, fans can confuse acceleration with pace.

For example Kemp has terrific acceleration, but not a lot of pace. I'd rather we tried Kemp in midfield or HF rotation, at least he has already shown he possesses some AFL level tricks and would if nothing else give Cripps a chop out. But I can't see us using Kemp like that and running SoJ as a utility as well, the SoJ Utility role is a list balance impasse that a lot of fans won't be able to get past, but it's a roadblock to many of the suggested alternatives.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
Dows strength at U18 level was his ability to burst away from stoppages and blow past defenders who usually didnt have the strength to drag him down. He was continually running and doing what he liked, didnt need many tricks or evasive skills and never had any composure at the end of his runs and just sprayed the ball. But when you get it 40 times a match no one was complaining if at least half of his disposals went in the right direction. He kicked a lot of goals for a mid too and hence he looked like a ready made player who would suit us. The problem is he has never adjusted his game from U18 level or gained the nous and awareness needed and I'm bemused what our assistants and VFL coaches have been doing with him.
He has needed so much more senior football and patience to bring him up to speed and change how he plays...LDU has had that at North and become a player, we have just given up on Dow and let him become a zombie with no identity at the club or at senior level. Its just been a complete development debacle.....